Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

tag
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

Redoing my kitchen/bath and some other things around the house to fix various storm related damage and upgrade.  Which store, Home Depot or Lowes, is better in terms of the products they have?  Which store has a better credit card product?

Thanks in advance,

Duncan, aka the white drapper Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 59
58 REPLIES 58
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Lowes or Home Depot - which is better?

Hey Duncan...

I think Lowe's is better, although I don't have HD....

Lowe's has a deal right now... if you spend $3500, you can get it at 5.99% for 84 months... They also have been very generous with CLIs on my account ( my highest at $12k).... and I barely use it....lol I do use it every month or two for cleaning stuff usually... might spend less than $10 hhaha and PIF....

seems like Citi, backer of HD I think, is a stickler and not as easy to do business with....

Hope this helps!! :-D

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 59
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

oh... something else... lowe's also gives you 5% off all purchases with their card...but they won't let you combine that with any financing offers. lol

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 59
aplast
Regular Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:

Hey Duncan...

I think Lowe's is better, although I don't have HD....

Lowe's has a deal right now... if you spend $3500, you can get it at 5.99% for 84 months... They also have been very generous with CLIs on my account ( my highest at $12k).... and I barely use it....lol I do use it every month or two for cleaning stuff usually... might spend less than $10 hhaha and PIF....

seems like Citi, backer of HD I think, is a stickler and not as easy to do business with....

Hope this helps!! :-D

+1 GECRB will grow with you and they will CLI regularly. Solid company to do business with. I am more of a home depot guy myself, but if I was in the market to have a home improvement credit card I would def. choose Lowes.

Message 4 of 59
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Are the cards just store cards or do they have a MC/Visa version?

Message 5 of 59
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

They have an Amex version .... only for businesses though...

They *used* to have a Lowe's Visa, but you can't app for that now or be upgraded to it...

so it's just the Lowe's Store Card that is up for grabs...

I think they discontinued the Lowe's Visa  a while ago (2005?), but whenever I login it, it gives me the option to login for a Lowe's Visa... I think I even called GECRB once to harrass them about it, and they said they didn't offer it any more lol.

As for quality of products... I really like their Method cleaning stuff LOL... idk about anything else in that store.. well, I've seen that they have nice Wine Cellar thingies... and pretty granite countertops... LOL...

Message 6 of 59
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Well...Home Depot card is backed by Citi. Lowes is backed by GECRB. You'll probably have a better time with Lowes than Home Depot, IMO.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 7 of 59
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Well...Home Depot card is backed by Citi. Lowes is backed by GECRB. You'll probably have a better time with Lowes than Home Depot, IMO.

I have Walmart Discover with GECRB.  Ive been wanting to app for Citi Forward card.  Wondering if apping for Citi backed HD would be a good way to setup relationship with Citi so I could app for their card after refi in 8 months?

Message 8 of 59
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I think Duncan knows what he should do now LOL....?

Message 9 of 59
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Smiley Wink nah. I'm going to be good boy. Other than my current home project I don't really see need for either. Maybe amex will let me put home pack on zync.

Message 10 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.