Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowest APR card??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowest APR card??

What is the lowest APR credit card one can get from bank or credit union? ......Not counting limited short term 0 intro offers?

anything lower than 8%?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: Lowest APR card??

Too many variables to say one way or the other. Depends on credit file, issuing bank's requirements, etc., although Simmons First does seem to have the lowest APR cards in general.

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the lowest APR credit card one can get from bank or credit union? ......Not counting limited short term 0 intro offers?

anything lower than 8%?

As Berk said, it depends on several things (scores, income, length of credit history and if you are even eligible to apply due to membership requirements). In terms of an open-to-everybody credit union or banks, Unify Financial Credit Union has a variable rate Visa of 5.49% (if you qualify).

Lake Michigan Credit Union offers Prime + 3% currently 7% Open to anybody but extremely strict lending criteria. 

There is a tiny credit union here in the Denver area that has a Prime rate card (4%) with no annual fee but strict membership and lending criteria. 

SSFCU has a MasterCard at 7.24% but limited to residents of CO, TX and UT and military. Strict lending criteria. 

So, to sum it up, I'd say the Unify Financial Credit Union variabe rate card is one of the lowest I've seen. There may be lower rates but probably at credit unions that do not allow out-of-state applicants etc.  

Message 3 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

anything lower than 8%?

As Berk said, it depends on several things (scores, income, length of credit history and if you are even eligible to apply due to membership requirements). In terms of an open-to-everybody credit union or banks, Unify Financial Credit Union has a variable rate Visa of 5.49% (if you qualify).

Lake Michigan Credit Union offers Prime + 3% currently 7% Open to anybody but extremely strict lending criteria. 

There is a tiny credit union here in the Denver area that has a Prime rate card (4%) with no annual fee but strict membership and lending criteria. 

SSFCU has a MasterCard at 7.24% but limited to residents of CO, TX and UT and military. Strict lending criteria. 

So, to sum it up, I'd say the Unify Financial Credit Union variabe rate card is one of the lowest I've seen. There may be lower rates but probably at credit unions that do not allow out-of-state applicants etc.  

Rates in the 8s are actually a good APR esp if they arent overly strict on the lending criteria or membership restrictions...

But even with strict lending criteria, its probably easier to get a rate in the 7s or less with a CU...... instead of the financial review cards like Simmons and Iberia have to get approved..

Message 4 of 21
galahad15
Valued Contributor

BEFCU has a rewards card as low as 4.99% F  (http://www.bournscu.com/cred_card.html)

PACU has a rewards card as low as 7.50% F (https://www.premieramerica.com/loans/credit-cards)

Another poster also mentioned the Unify FCU VISA as low as 5.49% V (possibly 5.74% V now after the latest Fed rate increase).

Message 5 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Any membership loopholes for BEFCU?

Very limited scope of membership ;(

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

No loops. Call in to apply. Talk to galahad15 if you want the best rate cards. Get a fixed rate one too. Also themanwhocan has great charts.

Asks often for apr reductions on all preexisting cards.
Message 7 of 21
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Any membership loopholes for BEFCU?

Very limited scope of membership ;(

Geographical limitations to applying for BEFCU's card may no longer necessarily be in effect -- just for example, I was able to app and be approved by a phone application, and I live near Washington, DC.  I applied prior to joining BEFCU, and there were no membership fees involved.  Once I was approved for the card, I formally applied for membership and joined BEFCU.  I would recommend a phone app if you are interested in their VISA card.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Golden1's Platinum Rewards Visa is as low as 7.79%, but being able to join depends on whether you live in California or not. It also has 3% rewards on gas, grocery, and restaurant. Not too shabby. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your local credit unions. They generally have the best rates in my experience. 

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.