cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowest limit Cap One will let you CLD to?

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Lowest limit Cap One will let you CLD to?

@elim wrote:

that goes against everything we have been taught.  do it now!

:]

LOL!!..Right...the thought of it!! Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for whoever answered for me above; I was at work all day and didn't have a chance to get on here. 

Yes, I'm planning on doing some utilization related testing.  Since I've got this card in the SD right now anyway, and it's limit is fairly small relative to my other limits it wouldn't impact my overall credit limits and/or utilization by taking it from $4k down to $500 (or whatever low limit I could get).  With a $500 CL, though, I could test a ton of different threshold points like 10%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100% etc. very easily without having to use high dollar amounts.

The only reason I said temporary is because it would be nice to return that limit back to $4k after the testing.  Not because I need the $4k as the card would be going right back into my SD, but at some point if I open another CO card down the road it would be nice to transfer that $4k limit over (rather than a $500 limit, say).

Message 12 of 23
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for whoever answered for me above; I was at work all day and didn't have a chance to get on here. 

Yes, I'm planning on doing some utilization related testing.  Since I've got this card in the SD right now anyway, and it's limit is fairly small relative to my other limits it wouldn't impact my overall credit limits and/or utilization by taking it from $4k down to $500 (or whatever low limit I could get).  With a $500 CL, though, I could test a ton of different threshold points like 10%, 30%, 50%, 70%, 80%, 90%, 100% etc. very easily without having to use high dollar amounts.

The only reason I said temporary is because it would be nice to return that limit back to $4k after the testing.  Not because I need the $4k as the card would be going right back into my SD, but at some point if I open another CO card down the road it would be nice to transfer that $4k limit over (rather than a $500 limit, say).

While I doubt they would have any problem lowering your limit to whatever you wanted, getting it 'restored' could be a challenge. 

There are no data points on this (since it's not something we see often) but I wouldn't be surprised if Capital One didn't make you 'work' for CLIs again just like anybody else with a low credit line.  It might take you a while to get back to where you are now.

Good luck whatever you decide.  Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with ^ you on the needing to work to get your initial CL back
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Probably true that they'd make me "work" to get it back, as my recent "work" of putting a few thousand dollars through the card with PIF for several cycles over 6 months wasn't good enough to yield me any CLI at all Smiley Tongue

Message 15 of 23
precision
Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:
Why do you want to CLD your card, and why only temporary?

I read in another thread of his he is looking at possibly playing with his report in terms of utilization and seeing what the results are. Basically, manipulating his report (not in a bad sense) and seeing what changes happen and how drastic. 

the purpose of a CLD in this aspect is still not making sense.

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@precision wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

I read in another thread of his he is looking at possibly playing with his report in terms of utilization and seeing what the results are. Basically, manipulating his report (not in a bad sense) and seeing what changes happen and how drastic. 

He wants to test the effect on FICO scores of one card reporting at various utilization percentages.  Much easier and more practical to do with a low limit card, don't you think? 

Message 17 of 23
Marcos8
Established Contributor

While I applaud your efforts I personally would never roll the dice with making my personal profile look perceivably more risky. At best you find out some minutia about utilization and scoring. At worst you expose yourself to potential AA by other creditors not knowing/understanding/caring about how the CLD happened as that won't be made available to them on manual review. Either way all the best. 

Message 18 of 23
precision
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@precision wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

He wants to test the effect on FICO scores of one card reporting at various utilization percentages.  Much easier and more practical to do with a low limit card, don't you think? 

i understand the theory.  but i find it misguided in the long term.  and i am a newb.

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is a first for me. While everyone else are wanting approvals and CLIs, I've never heard of anybody wanting a CLD.
1. Help me understand the "threshold test". I am gathering you plan to do several spending runs with 10-100% utilization on that card to see what each percentage spend reflect on your credit report. Correct? Well, utilization accounts for 30% of your credit report. How can you control the other 70% to not factor in your result and make a conclusion that your scores after your tests are reflective only with utilization ratio? You seem very smart and I mean that based on your intentions, but I don't think this is a smart move at all.
2. Like UncleB said, I don't think it would be a problem to CLD, but might be a one to CLI not just from CapOne but with other lenders.
3. I say, get an AU who need who could utilize the credit line and have them do the test. Just make sure they'll PIF each percentage every statement shortly after CapOne reports to the CRAs and before you get charged with interest. It's your credit report on the line

Anyway, I'm curious to see the outcome of this if you pursue it. Keep us posted. Good luck!!!
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.