Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lucky 7 - Chase

tag
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Lucky 7 - Chase

Hey guys, I've been wanting to get the marriott for a while. I currently have 6 credit cards with chase, but my CL with chase is at 23.5k, I know people got more than that I think due to income. I remember when I got the SP she told me I got max of what the lender could give me or something like that. I also remember there was a time when my old IHG card could only be a limit of $500, but now it requires $5000. I think if I didnt reallocate back then it wouldn't be a problem... but whatever, I was reading on reddit thaI could lower my CL on my cards. What do you guys recommend? I don't think paying an extra $30, $125 for the marriott biz is worth it. And I doubt its possible to downgrade to the Marriott bonvoy amex to $95 from brilliant after a year as I never had that card to begin with.

What do you guys recommend me to do? I looked at the marriott properties and it's always so expensive! Do you guys stay there a lot? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
jcooks
Established Contributor

Re: Lucky 7 - Chase

Have you tried applying for another card with Chase and they denied you due to being at their total exposure for you?  If so, I've read DP's that you can take some of the other credit limits and reallocate it so you can open a new card with keeping the same total limit.

Message 2 of 5
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Most likely if you've been told you have the maximum total exposure with Chase that they are willing to give, that will stay the same unless there is a change in income and/or assets.  Not sure I understand the lowering limits part of your post.  You can definitely lower limits with Chase, which some do preemptively before applying for a new card in hopes of an approval or a higher starting line.  If you are asking if lowering your limit to $500 will affect future approvals from other lenders that is going to be a no as long as the rest of your profile supports higher limits.  I have an Amex Blue that I lowered to $500 and never use (it's been years) but haven't brought myself to closing it because it's 20 years old; that has certainly not impacted my starting lines.

As far as Marriott goes, you can certainly downgrade to the $95 AF version from Brilliant whether you have had it in the past or not, you just can't apply for it outright as the agreement between Amex, Chase, and Marriott, was that Amex would issue new premium and business cards and Chase would issue the remaining new consumer cards.  Both lenders still service their previous overlapping products and both still allow product changes between them, i.e. you can PC Brilliant to the lower tier Amex card or PC any of the Chase consumer versions to the higher tier Ritz-Carlton card from JP Morgan.

Marriott has many brands, so pricing is all over the board.  From Fairfield Inn and Element up to Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis, with 26 other brands in between.  Anyone consistently staying in Marriott properties a few times each year should easily be able to recoup the annual fee of the Brilliant, as the $300 credit applies to any room charges, including the stay itself, and you would have to try very hard to get a redemption less than the remaining $150 for the 50k certificate (I am averaging around $750 in value for that certificate each year as I use it for a "splurge" stay).  Plus the Gold elite level that comes with the card is useful for those who do not otherwise have it as while the perks offered to Gold elites may be minimal the earnings on stays are elevated, which offers additional value toward future stays. 

Message 3 of 5
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Ah the Marriott card - I have tried for the Chase product last year when they had a limited 250,000 point SUB and was denied.

Then this year I tried for the Ink Business Cash card and denied.

Since Chase does not like me, I am leaning towards signing up for the Amex Brilliant since I have Marriott points converted from the SPG hotel days.....

Boils down to if Chase likes you or not is what I am saying...

Message 4 of 5
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

From reading other posts overall exposure is 50% of income if you get the new card the bank can reduce other lines to make it work

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.