Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lurker's journey. Time to garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lurker's journey. Time to garden?

Post the other day about my PRG, but this one is a thank you, my story, and another question. I've lurked here off an on for the past 18 months and followed a lot of tips. Thank you all for being such a great resource. I'm 32 and didn't even have a credit score until I was 30. My parents had plenty of money and believe in paying for things outright. I remeber being a teenager and getting credit card offers and being told to avoid predatory lenders. I had a full ride through college. No debt. I drove the car my parents gave me for 13 years. Never needed a loan. Then I realized this wouldn't always be the case. Thus began the construction of my credit.

6/14, AU on Dad's AMEX Green card, his only credit card. I used it more than he did and paid the bills.

2/15, Cap1 secured platinum card. Starting limit was a meager $250, but it had my name on it. They bumped it up to $550 after six months.

4/15 Belk card with Synchrony. SL was $650. Auto CLI to $950 after about three months.

8/15 Auto loan. My scores were around 700 at this point. Chase gave the best rate. Took 2-4 hard pulls on reports unfortunately.

Fast forward to this past month, and things have gotten interesting. I had a plan for my future cards. I wanted my own AMEX, the REI card, another travel card, and a solid cash back card. Hopefully I'd get a variety of banks in the mix to diversify. No idea if that matters. Anyway, at the start of this year I began receiving lots of card offers. More than ever before. I assumed my credit report had matured to the point that I could get real, adult credit cards.

2/4, REI Mastercard SL $5,000. I go there a lot and figured this to be the best bet of the cards I wanted. The limited shocked me. I expected much less. Perhaps my credit reports were more ready than I thought.

2/12, AMEX PRG. I know it isn't terribly difficult to get, but this is the one I wanted the most. Before applying I spoke to an AMEX rep who told me my AU status would help, and that 50k bonus points looked great. Got it, already cleared the spending for that bonus. I intended to garden at this point, but you all understand, right?

2/28, requested CLI on the Belk card. They added $2.5k, putting it at $3,450. The old Cap1 secured card is looking really bad now, and a $29 yearly fee is about to kick in. Called and cancelled it.

3/2, CSP with SL of $7k. I couldn't resist. I've seen how popular the card is here, I travel a lot with various airlines, and it gives me my first Visa. I got a prequalified offer in the mail for the 50k bonus, decided it was a card I wanted eventually, so why not? I think Chase loves me going back to the auto loan.

Now we are up to date. Did I do too much too quickly? In the past month I've gone from $1.5k in available credit to $15,450. I should garden, right? That prequalified offer for the Citi DC can wait, right? Or is four new cards no worse than three?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lurker's journey. Time to garden?

Also if it is relevant, my AMEX Fico is 724. Various FAKOS range from 720-745. I make about $40k but sometimes have work expenses on my cards that get reimbursed. My routine expenses like rent are quite low. Never been late for a payment, never failed to pay in full.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Post the other day about my PRG, but this one is a thank you, my story, and another question. I've lurked here off an on for the past 18 months and followed a lot of tips. Thank you all for being such a great resource. I'm 32 and didn't even have a credit score until I was 30. My parents had plenty of money and believe in paying for things outright. I remeber being a teenager and getting credit card offers and being told to avoid predatory lenders. I had a full ride through college. No debt. I drove the car my parents gave me for 13 years. Never needed a loan. Then I realized this wouldn't always be the case. Thus began the construction of my credit.

6/14, AU on Dad's AMEX Green card, his only credit card. I used it more than he did and paid the bills.

2/15, Cap1 secured platinum card. Starting limit was a meager $250, but it had my name on it. They bumped it up to $550 after six months.

4/15 Belk card with Synchrony. SL was $650. Auto CLI to $950 after about three months.

8/15 Auto loan. My scores were around 700 at this point. Chase gave the best rate. Took 2-4 hard pulls on reports unfortunately.

Fast forward to this past month, and things have gotten interesting. I had a plan for my future cards. I wanted my own AMEX, the REI card, another travel card, and a solid cash back card. Hopefully I'd get a variety of banks in the mix to diversify. No idea if that matters. Anyway, at the start of this year I began receiving lots of card offers. More than ever before. I assumed my credit report had matured to the point that I could get real, adult credit cards.

2/4, REI Mastercard SL $5,000. I go there a lot and figured this to be the best bet of the cards I wanted. The limited shocked me. I expected much less. Perhaps my credit reports were more ready than I thought.

2/12, AMEX PRG. I know it isn't terribly difficult to get, but this is the one I wanted the most. Before applying I spoke to an AMEX rep who told me my AU status would help, and that 50k bonus points looked great. Got it, already cleared the spending for that bonus. I intended to garden at this point, but you all understand, right?

2/28, requested CLI on the Belk card. They added $2.5k, putting it at $3,450. The old Cap1 secured card is looking really bad now, and a $29 yearly fee is about to kick in. Called and cancelled it.

3/2, CSP with SL of $7k. I couldn't resist. I've seen how popular the card is here, I travel a lot with various airlines, and it gives me my first Visa. I got a prequalified offer in the mail for the 50k bonus, decided it was a card I wanted eventually, so why not? I think Chase loves me going back to the auto loan.

Now we are up to date. Did I do too much too quickly? In the past month I've gone from $1.5k in available credit to $15,450. I should garden, right? That prequalified offer for the Citi DC can wait, right? Or is four new cards no worse than three?

You're fine and havent done too much.  As for the DC, it's up to you whether to apply or not.  If you do, your still going to be fine.  There is something to be said for getting the accounts added and inquiries done in a short period so that they all age at the same time.  As long as you don't go crazy and add 7 cards in a day.  If it fits in your needs, get the card and then head to the garden.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, if I went for the Citi DC now, I would be set for a long time. I wouldn't get much immediate benefit though because while I don't have to overspend to get the CSP bonus, I still wouldn't put much on the DC for a couple months. Also I could wait until a bigger purchase to use the 0% intro rate; I've never carried a balance before, but maybe I would for a couple months at zero.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks great to me. Dont really see any general spending cards so the DC is probably good...unless you can get great value on 1 UR point with the CSP.  Dont expect a huge limit with the DC. In your case I would take the 2nd HP for the higher limit and then take a break.  Good thing u didnt add in extra cards or that CSP would probably not have happened.  Awesome job!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.