Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR/UR/TY after recent changes

tag
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: MR/UR/TY after recent changes

I keep telling myself that I'm going to stick to one or two rewards programs, but I can't help myself 😅

For many years, I was collecting URs only. Having a quadfecta including 2 Freedoms would help rack up a ton of points, but this forum ruined me. Now I have URs, TYPs, MRs, Altitude Reserve, a few airlines and a couple of hotels. 😂

Most recently, I've been using URs for Hyatt transfers and revenue flights. I used to transfer points to United, but it's always a pain to find exactly what I want at a normal redemption rate, so it's easier to pay with URs on the Chase portal.

I like MRs because they're also easy to accumulate, but I only got back into the MR game early this year because blacklists suck. AMEX Gold and BBP cover my needs, so I don't think I'll be adding another card soon. I love AMEX Offers and that alone has paid for the Gold AF without having used the travel or dining credits yet. I still haven't even assigned an airline for the credit. Most likely, I'll transfer the MRs to Avianca, Delta for their sales or JetBlue.

My Altitude Reserve gets the majority of non-category spend and more for 3x (mobile wallet), which I eventually redeem for travel only at 4.5x.

Lastly, I was ready to give up on Prestige and Citi in general after all the changes and travel benefit cuts, and then Citi decides to add the DC to the TY Program. So now I'm rethinking my TYP strategy with Plastiq and DC being the focus point. I won't be sending checks and getting no rewards anymore. I might PC my Prestige to Premier and use the points for the extra 25% value or transfer to Avianca when it's convenient.

Because of all the changes and new trends, I prefer not to cancel cards or focus on just one program. Even if I don't use some of my cards, I keep them so I don't have to re-apply when a lender decides to make changes that affect my plans. Plus, I kinda enjoy the CC rewards game.

Message 11 of 60
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@imaximous wrote:

I keep telling myself that I'm going to stick to one or two rewards programs, but I can't help myself 😅

For many years, I was collecting URs only. Having a quadfecta including 2 Freedoms would help rack up a ton of points, but this forum ruined me. Now I have URs, TYPs, MRs, Altitude Reserve, a few airlines and a couple of hotels. 😂

OMG, what have we done to imaximous!?! 

We've created a 'monster'!

Lol Smiley Tongue

Bull_Credit_ card.jpg

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 12 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it’s relatively easy to juggle multiple ecosystems. I am currently using MR/UR and bonvoy with pretty good results.
Message 13 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I think it’s relatively easy to juggle multiple ecosystems. I am currently using MR/UR and bonvoy with pretty good results.

Yes, but only above a certain spending level.   If you spend too little, you have too little in each for useful redemptions (well, at least after SUBs have been used)

Message 14 of 60
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, but only above a certain spending level.   If you spend too little, you have too little in each for useful redemptions (well, at least after SUBs have been used)

Exactly.  Some people can do it.  But it all depends on the situation and the spend level.  That's why careful thought before apping can be good so we think about where a new card fits in our overall lineup and spend, or if it's just a temporary card for SUB or other purpose.  And possibly reassessing as we go to see if we have too many smaller pools of points or cash that isn't growing fast enough to be useful or easily redeemable.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 15 of 60
redpat
Senior Contributor

MR is the majority of my spend since Ebates has been added for online and in store purchases I'm getting in excess of 3x per dollar spent on regular purchases, in addition to 5x air and 4x dining and grocery. 

Ink+ is getting my business 5x UR point categories and Amex is getting all my other business spend.

Amex has been always consistant in offering transfer bonuses and I don't use Hyatt, Southwest of United.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 16 of 60
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@redpat wrote:

MR is the majority of my spend since Ebates has been added for online and in store purchases I'm getting in excess of 3x per dollar spent on regular purchases, in addition to 5x air and 4x dining and grocery. 

Ink+ is getting my business 5x UR point categories and Amex is getting all my other business spend.

Amex has been always consistant in offering transfer bonuses and I don't use Hyatt, Southwest of United.

everytime I have l looked at ebates on cashbackmonitor feels like chase portal beats them out slightly. With a FU I find that chase beats out ebates. I think I may be spreading myself too thin right now , I am using FU for non category spend , Freedom/ink cash for 5x, CIP for 3x travel and cellphone insurance. Amex gold is on groceries and restaurant duty. I have premeir for backup for restaurants and gas. I am still debating if i want to move the non category spend to double cash or not.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 17 of 60
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@mongstradamus wrote:

everytime I have l looked at ebates on cashbackmonitor feels like chase portal beats them out slightly. With a FU I find that chase beats out ebates.

It might really depend on the merchant, but I've racked up about 90,000 MRs in 6 months with eBates/Rakuten and in most cases their payout is higher than anyone else.  They always seem to have some kind of insane offer going on, whether it's 15% for Kohl's or 10% for Marriott.  I always check SkyMiles and Mileage Plan Shopping, too.

Message 18 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do check rakuten from time to time, either they don't sell the stuff I usually buy, or their price is outrageous to begin with, 15% does nothing to make it cheaper than what i can get from amazon/walmart. lol

Message 19 of 60
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do check rakuten from time to time, either they don't sell the stuff I usually buy, or their price is outrageous to begin with, 15% does nothing to make it cheaper than what i can get from amazon/walmart. lol

Most of the praise here is for the shopping portal Rakuten operates, not their actual retail offerings. It's about getting extra rewards on money you spend at walmart (or any one of hundreds of retailers).

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 20 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.