Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR/UR/TY after recent changes

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: MR/UR/TY after recent changes

I figured my Amex Gold+BBP setup would be my endgame setup... but recent nerfs to Gold and enhancements to TYP earnings has me considering other options.

I'd planned on cancelling my Citi Premier card, but instead applied for another one for the 60K bonus (my 2 year counter rolled over) and downgraded the old one to the Rewards+.  With that, I get 10 TY points every time I swipe at the vending machine at work, which equates to 5x to 10x and sometimes more on those purchases.  They're tiny but they add up.  And now with the DC earning 2x points I'm playing with the idea of that card replacing the BBP to be my non-category card again.  2x TY points essentially means 2.5% cash back on their travel portal which I can use to book flights and stays with any airline or hotel.  And there's enough overlap on transfer partners to allow my Citi points to be a boost to Amex for some pretty awesome redemptions from transferring points as well.  And so far I've only paid $95 in fees over two and a half years after earning a 60K point SUB twice.  Not bad!

I love earning 4x with Gold on two extremely useful categories.  And I have to admit, pulling out that card when having lunch with coworkers feels like an awesome flex.  But that $250 AF is getting harder to justify when I could just earn 2x on either points scheme for free.

Message 51 of 60
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm guessing that you don't use the typical web browsers then?

Because the big three, especially Chrome already tracks you. Heck Google tracks you in other ways that you wouldn't even think of as it is.

I use firefox, all third party cookie blocked by default, browsing through firefox private network, with ad block, https everywhere, ghostly equipped. Everytime I vist rakuten or AA shopping, they kept asking me for permissions, and I usually say no. lol

Chrome is an entirely different beast, the thing is a walking spy machine, doubt I will ever touch it.

^ ^ ^ T h i s ...

I take privacy very seriously.  Big Brother is out of control.  It's scary how people are buying into giving up their privacy.

No, I just don't use typical web browsers and let cookies sit on my machine.  They're cleaned out except by whitelist exception when I close my browser. I don't use Google ... even their beloved search engine.  There are alternative search engines that work just as well.    And there are many ways to unGoogle yourself.  Google and Facebook are two of the worst offenders but there are others.   I have a website or two that needs Chrome and that is the ONLY reason it's even on my machine and opened only briefly for that purpose. 

They say you're not paranoid ... if they're really out to get ya' ... lol Smiley Tongue

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 52 of 60
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Because the big three, especially Chrome already tracks you. Heck Google tracks you in other ways that you wouldn't even think of as it is.

I use firefox, all third party cookie blocked by default, browsing through firefox private network, with ad block, https everywhere, ghostly equipped. Everytime I vist rakuten or AA shopping, they kept asking me for permissions, and I usually say no. lol

Chrome is an entirely different beast, the thing is a walking spy machine, doubt I will ever touch it.

^ ^ ^ T h i s ...

I take privacy very seriously.  Big Brother is out of control.  It's scary how people are buying into giving up their privacy.

No, I just don't use typical web browsers and let cookies sit on my machine.  They're cleaned out except by whitelist exception when I close my browser. I don't use Google ... even their beloved search engine.  There are alternative search engines that work just as well.    And there are many ways to unGoogle yourself.  Google and Facebook are two of the worst offenders but there are others.   I have a website or two that needs Chrome and that is the ONLY reason it's even on my machine and opened only briefly for that purpose. 

They say you're not paranoid ... if they're really out to get ya' ... lol Smiley Tongue

Lol!  Privacy........Ancestry, Clear and TSA Pre are just a few examples that privacy is dead.  So I really wouldn’t worry about searching the web w/ Google.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 53 of 60
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

I figured my Amex Gold+BBP setup would be my endgame setup... but recent nerfs to Gold and enhancements to TYP earnings has me considering other options.

I'd planned on cancelling my Citi Premier card, but instead applied for another one for the 60K bonus (my 2 year counter rolled over) and downgraded the old one to the Rewards+.  With that, I get 10 TY points every time I swipe at the vending machine at work, which equates to 5x to 10x and sometimes more on those purchases.  They're tiny but they add up.  And now with the DC earning 2x points I'm playing with the idea of that card replacing the BBP to be my non-category card again.  2x TY points essentially means 2.5% cash back on their travel portal which I can use to book flights and stays with any airline or hotel.  And there's enough overlap on transfer partners to allow my Citi points to be a boost to Amex for some pretty awesome redemptions from transferring points as well.  And so far I've only paid $95 in fees over two and a half years after earning a 60K point SUB twice.  Not bad!

I love earning 4x with Gold on two extremely useful categories.  And I have to admit, pulling out that card when having lunch with coworkers feels like an awesome flex.  But that $250 AF is getting harder to justify when I could just earn 2x on either points scheme for free.

The counterpoint IMO is that the Rewards+ may encourage small, unnecessary purchases. It's great to get 10 points no matter what on a coffee or vending machine purchase but you would save more $ in the long run by not making the purchases and bringing coffee/snack/whatever/to work. In any event, Citi has stepped up with the DC/TY thing and a minimum 2 points on everything with no fee. I would agree it could definitely make it hard to justify paying $250 for the Gold card for 4x on two categories. Flex or not, the value proposition compared to other options just seems kind of weak.

Message 54 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

@Aim_High wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

^ ^ ^ T h i s ...

Lol!  Privacy........Ancestry, Clear and TSA Pre are just a few examples that privacy is dead.  So I really wouldn’t worry about searching the web w/ Google.

Its not dead if and when more people cared, lol. The war is not yet over. Its not too late to rethink!

Message 55 of 60
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

I don't use any of those either.

Message 56 of 60
redpat
Senior Contributor

a@MrDisco99 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Too bad, Global Entry, CLEAR and TSA combo equals no waiting in lines, don’t have to take off shoes and take out laptop.  What ever privacy I lost is well worth it, I can’t take the cattle lines anymore.  Lol, cattle.......The same reason I will never fly SW.......

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 57 of 60
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@redpat wrote:

a@MrDisco99 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

Too bad, Global Entry, CLEAR and TSA combo equals no waiting in lines, don’t have to take off shoes and take out laptop.  What ever privacy I lost is well worth it, I can’t take the cattle lines anymore.  Lol, cattle.......The same reason I will never fly SW.......

While I agree that the fight for privacy has probably been lost, I don't equate GE/TSA etc with google searching.   The info I give to the government for TSA Pre and GE is stuff they (could) have access to from any number of sources.    Whereas only Google knows about my searching for and purchases of 60 inflatable life-size Justin Beiber dolls.   Although, post Snowdon revelations, the gov probably also knows...

Message 58 of 60
redpat
Senior Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

a@MrDisco99 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

While I agree that the fight for privacy has probably been lost, I don't equate GE/TSA etc with google searching.   The info I give to the government for TSA Pre and GE is stuff they (could) have access to from any number of sources.    Whereas only Google knows about my searching for and purchases of 60 inflatable life-size Justin Beiber dolls.   Although, post Snowdon revelations, the gov probably also knows...

You don't need google to attack your privacy, Netflix, Amazon Prime streaming, Pandora, FB, Linkedin, UBER, Lyft, Airline dining programs, Amazon or any Online shopping portal.  I other words, if you have any type of Conectivity some privacy is lost.

LT, Justin Beiber........Now Myficoers know and I'm trying to get the images erased from my brain......

Message 59 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@redpat wrote:

a@MrDisco99 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

**bleep**, how can I unsee this!!!

Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.