cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub

I'm showing the BA offer as well. Thinking of moving some points over as I book on AA metal lot. Southwest dominates here in my area and AA is a very distant second. I use Avios to get to DFW so that I can actually get to where I want to go.
Message 11 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub


@Loquat wrote:
I'm showing the BA offer as well. Thinking of moving some points over as I book on AA metal lot. Southwest dominates here in my area and AA is a very distant second. I use Avios to get to DFW so that I can actually get to where I want to go.

Amex will need to do more and better bonus in the future, Avios just devalued 20% in May, lol.

ѠαԼԼεէ ✈⛽☕ թⲅoթ∈l ✈☕⸿sᖇ ✈☕⍟❡olδ ⍟Ⲙileⴑթ ┊ↇᏨ ⛽⍶⍶թƧ ☕▲B
⛪ Ҩⵢ┊ēᗟ ☏८ſⴑ ┊⍶⍶թƧβiz ⍟iէ ⛽८ſ⛪⸨ꜷ ᐰmzn ᐰ√ ⌚wſ -√ ☏⸿i⸿ ┊⸿iⴑ ⚕ᙪᙪթ⸩ Ձ൦Ձ❶ ✢८αsℏẉisē, թreᲠier, ᐰviα₶oⲅℝ
Message 12 of 20
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub


@FortifiedHM wrote:

@Loquat wrote:
I'm showing the BA offer as well. Thinking of moving some points over as I book on AA metal lot. Southwest dominates here in my area and AA is a very distant second. I use Avios to get to DFW so that I can actually get to where I want to go.

Amex will need to do more and better bonus in the future, Avios just devalued 20% in May, lol.


@FortifiedHM I'm like smack dab in the heart of the Midwest.  I get around on AA metal for about 15-16.5k Avios in first class to either side of the country.  Thanksfully when they devalued their award chart it didn't change the amount of Avios I need to get around.  

Message 13 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub


@wasCB14 wrote:
Avios are fine for domestic AA metal sAAver awards, especially close-in for non-elites. The booking process is pretty simple, too. I've gotten as high as 4.6 cents per MR that way.

Transatlantic BA metal is definitely another matter.

So the amount of Avios is less than the American Airline miles you would need to book on domestic AA flights?   I always hated that British Airways is part of the same alliance as AA as the British Airways award tickets I have looked at booked through AA miles the fuel surcharges are almost the amount of the ticket.  I am surprised the EU lets them get away with such shady business practices. 

More cards than I can mention in a signature.
Message 14 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub

There is no fuel surcharge for AA flights inside USA. For most inside USA, it's just 6000, 9000, 11000, 13000 avios one way plus 5 bucks fee.
ѠαԼԼεէ ✈⛽☕ թⲅoթ∈l ✈☕⸿sᖇ ✈☕⍟❡olδ ⍟Ⲙileⴑթ ┊ↇᏨ ⛽⍶⍶թƧ ☕▲B
⛪ Ҩⵢ┊ēᗟ ☏८ſⴑ ┊⍶⍶թƧβiz ⍟iէ ⛽८ſ⛪⸨ꜷ ᐰmzn ᐰ√ ⌚wſ -√ ☏⸿i⸿ ┊⸿iⴑ ⚕ᙪᙪթ⸩ Ձ൦Ձ❶ ✢८αsℏẉisē, թreᲠier, ᐰviα₶oⲅℝ
Message 15 of 20
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub


@frogman1 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:
Avios are fine for domestic AA metal sAAver awards, especially close-in for non-elites. The booking process is pretty simple, too. I've gotten as high as 4.6 cents per MR that way.

Transatlantic BA metal is definitely another matter.

So the amount of Avios is less than the American Airline miles you would need to book on domestic AA flights?   I always hated that British Airways is part of the same alliance as AA as the British Airways award tickets I have looked at booked through AA miles the fuel surcharges are almost the amount of the ticket.  I am surprised the EU lets them get away with such shady business practices. 


@frogman1 It depends on your departure and arrival.  I believe BAs award chart is more distance based whereas with AA usually a First Class flight is 25K AAdvantage miles (domestically) unless you're headed to a very popular destination, booking around holiday travel, or short notice.

Message 16 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub


@FortifiedHM wrote:
There is no fuel surcharge for AA flights inside USA. For most inside USA, it's just 6000, 9000, 11000, 13000 avios one way plus 5 bucks fee.

Ok that makes sense.  I fly AA a lot internationally but have never flown them domestically.  Seems pretty hard to get weekend non-stop flights domestically for 12.5k miles one way. Is BA easier to get the flights on the weekend (Friday-Monday)? 

More cards than I can mention in a signature.
Message 17 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub


@frogman1 wrote:

@FortifiedHM wrote:
There is no fuel surcharge for AA flights inside USA. For most inside USA, it's just 6000, 9000, 11000, 13000 avios one way plus 5 bucks fee.

Ok that makes sense.  I fly AA a lot internationally but have never flown them domestically.  Seems pretty hard to get weekend non-stop flights domestically for 12.5k miles one way. Is BA easier to get the flights on the weekend (Friday-Monday)? 


it really depends on dates and locations. You can try it if you already have a BA account, or if you dont. I can check some for you if you provide me with a date and origin/destination.

ѠαԼԼεէ ✈⛽☕ թⲅoթ∈l ✈☕⸿sᖇ ✈☕⍟❡olδ ⍟Ⲙileⴑթ ┊ↇᏨ ⛽⍶⍶թƧ ☕▲B
⛪ Ҩⵢ┊ēᗟ ☏८ſⴑ ┊⍶⍶թƧβiz ⍟iէ ⛽८ſ⛪⸨ꜷ ᐰmzn ᐰ√ ⌚wſ -√ ☏⸿i⸿ ┊⸿iⴑ ⚕ᙪᙪթ⸩ Ձ൦Ձ❶ ✢८αsℏẉisē, թreᲠier, ᐰviα₶oⲅℝ
Message 18 of 20
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub


@Loquat wrote:

@frogman1 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:
Avios are fine for domestic AA metal sAAver awards, especially close-in for non-elites. The booking process is pretty simple, too. I've gotten as high as 4.6 cents per MR that way.

Transatlantic BA metal is definitely another matter.

So the amount of Avios is less than the American Airline miles you would need to book on domestic AA flights?   I always hated that British Airways is part of the same alliance as AA as the British Airways award tickets I have looked at booked through AA miles the fuel surcharges are almost the amount of the ticket.  I am surprised the EU lets them get away with such shady business practices. 


@frogman1 It depends on your departure and arrival.  I believe BAs award chart is more distance based whereas with AA usually a First Class flight is 25K AAdvantage miles (domestically) unless you're headed to a very popular destination, booking around holiday travel, or short notice.


Sometimes it takes more Avios, but Amex often has these 40% transfer promos and there's no close-in award booking fee that I would otherwise have to pay.

Spend: BofA Premium, BBP, Schwab Platinum, Freedom x 2, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC, ED, QS
Retention games: BCP, Marriott Brilliant
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 19 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: MR bonus: avios, HH, aerclub


@FortifiedHM wrote:

@frogman1 wrote:

@FortifiedHM wrote:
There is no fuel surcharge for AA flights inside USA. For most inside USA, it's just 6000, 9000, 11000, 13000 avios one way plus 5 bucks fee.

Ok that makes sense.  I fly AA a lot internationally but have never flown them domestically.  Seems pretty hard to get weekend non-stop flights domestically for 12.5k miles one way. Is BA easier to get the flights on the weekend (Friday-Monday)? 


it really depends on dates and locations. You can try it if you already have a BA account, or if you dont. I can check some for you if you provide me with a date and origin/destination.


I just checked a flight that I didn't take on American because they wanted so many miles and then saw it was half the Avios on British Airways.  I am not sure why American allows them this deal.  I am sure hardly anyone redeems American Airline miles on British Airways flights. 

More cards than I can mention in a signature.
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.