Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MS for freedom 1st quarter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MS for freedom 1st quarter

@goldengopher1991 wrote:
Well, don't forget buying gift cards come with an activation fee around $5.. You probably end up losing more after tallying up the total amount it cost you to get the cards in the first place

I'm lost again. Say what now? So if I buy a $50 restaurant gift card I have to pay to have it activated? Or is this something different?

Message 21 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Retail gift cards such as for stores and restaurants do not normally have activation fees. $25 gets you $25, $50 for $50, whatever.

Visa, AMEX, etc. Gift cards have a $4.95 fee. These are the controversial ones used to MS. If you are not buying a high volume of them, you will not obtain any appreciable profit because of the fee.

Message 22 of 50
goldengopher1991
Contributor

Well that's the case for visa gift cards.. Around $4.95.. So say you buy a gift card $500 value you pay $504.95 but the value is $500. With store gift cards I'm not too sure as I've never bought any before, but I assume they do that too.. If not, sorry for confusing you more!
Discover IT - $10,000 | Chase Freedom - $2,200 | United MileagePlus Explorer - $5,000 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - $4,000
Message 23 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Retail gift cards such as for stores and restaurants do not normally have activation fees. $25 gets you $25, $50 for $50, whatever.

Visa, AMEX, etc. Gift cards have a $4.95 fee. These are the controversial ones used to MS. If you are not buying a high volume of them, you will not obtain any appreciable profit because of the fee.

Got it! Yea not interested in Amex, MC, Visa etc Smiley Happy Thanks for the clarification

Message 24 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sure. I work in retail so I ring people out for gift cards all the time. The ones for specific places like stores and restaurants never have extra fees, it's just straight up conversion 1:1.

Message 25 of 50
goldengopher1991
Contributor

My bad Heavenly Flower.. Sorry for the confusion
Discover IT - $10,000 | Chase Freedom - $2,200 | United MileagePlus Explorer - $5,000 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select - $4,000
Message 26 of 50
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

$4.95?  That narrows down where you work!   Most supermarket cards are $5.95

Message 27 of 50
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

$4.95?  That narrows down where you work!   Most supermarket cards are $5.95

lol

Message 28 of 50
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It may actually be $5.95, I don't remember because I never really buy them.

Message 29 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@goldengopher1991 wrote:
My bad Heavenly Flower.. Sorry for the confusion

Smiley Happy No worries. I'm still learning about all this. Whenever I saw people talking about gift cards I assumed it was always retail cards. Learn something new every day

Message 30 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.