Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's AMEX upgrade

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's AMEX upgrade

For Macy's, I usually use one of my 5% cashback cards.

To get 5% discount using the Macy's store card, it is needed to be in the platinum tier (spend annually +1200$; otherwise the discount will drop to 2-3%). If it would be the case, the typical 5% cashback cards in the market might be better than using the Macy's card. Is there any specific advantage, if using Macy's store card (e.g. occasional high discounts?)?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 11 of 18
tinglywoowoo
New Contributor

Congratulations! I know I was pretty chuffed when they upgraded my Macy's card to AMEX. I won't live long enough to land a true AMEX or Chase card no matter how much I wail and moan.. But as long as Macy's AMEX and Discover pick up costs of trips to the vet for two aging angels, I'm good. I have other cards that have recently received more mojo but Discover and faux AMEX have consistently seen me through times when other issuers weren't so obliging.
The degree of one's emotions varies inversely with one's knowledge of the facts: the less you know the hotter you get.
--Bertrand Russell
Message 12 of 18
BearsCubsOtters
Frequent Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

For Macy's, I usually use one of my 5% cashback cards.

To get 5% discount using the Macy's store card, it is needed to be in the platinum tier (spend annually +1200$; otherwise the discount will drop to 2-3%). If it would be the case, the typical 5% cashback cards in the market might be better than using the Macy's card. Is there any specific advantage, if using Macy's store card (e.g. occasional high discounts?)?

Unless you are Gold or Platinum status, and thus get free shipping and 3-5% back on Macy's purchases, respectfully, there is very little reason to hold the card, at least in my opinion. I am on their standard tier...I get 2% back at Macy's and every quarter they send coupons....of course, the brands I buy are excluded from the coupon offer Smiley LOL

Message 13 of 18
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

@tinglywoowoo  I have been on the AMEX blacklist for 12 years and counting...  But I do have Chase and Citi cards as well as Discover, Capone, and my Verizon Syncrhony Visa, so on the rewards front, I am well covered.

I will be curious to see if they cut my limit when they mail me the AMEX. So far online my account is showing that I am upgraded to AMEX (AMEX logo showing) and I have the same $7900 limit.

Message 14 of 18
lgtwriter
Frequent Contributor

@BearsCubsOtters  I buy all my housewares at Macy's, and occasionally buy clothing there so I hit that $1,200 yearly. The 5% is nice for things I would have bought anyway. Platinum members also get more 25% coupons, but I have never been much of a coupon person. The 5% on the things I buy at Macys (small appliances, dinnerware, drinkware, towels, etc) is more than I would get on any other card but my Amazon card for those items. I have found that Amazon has a crappy selection of housewares lolSmiley LOL

I agree, if you are not shopping at Macy's, there is no point to the upgraded card, unless you don't have other major credit cards.Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 18
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Macy's has a small threshold (25$) vs the other shops Smiley Tongue (let's compare it to Kohl or Walmart). Therefore, the majority of purchases will have free shipments. I think, they should add more benefits to the card to become more attractive (e.g. extend the expiration date of the points). 

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 16 of 18
tinglywoowoo
New Contributor

FWIW: They took their own sweet time getting the AMEX upgrade to me. Good luck keeping the card gods appeased. I’m treading lightly for fear of Synchrony’s hammer coming down on me. There ought to be a board game that teaches all the pitfalls and perqs of credit.

M
The degree of one's emotions varies inversely with one's knowledge of the facts: the less you know the hotter you get.
--Bertrand Russell
Message 17 of 18
pc01user
Frequent Contributor

Wonderful news...Congrats!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.