cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's American Express limit increase not a hard inquiry.

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Macy's American Express limit increase not a hard inquiry.

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Very nice bump indeed!  Mine have always been auto-CLIs but have noticed they SP before the CLIs eventually take effect.  The same SP timeframe is done for all 4 of my accounts (Macy's Pref AMEX & Store and Bloomingdale's Reserve AMEX & Store).  There's no specific pattern that I can discern as to when DSNB does the SPs since I see them every other month or so.  So, it appears if you request a CLI, and have been softed, then you will not incur the HP.

That does appear to be the case. Last time I did it through the lnk on the website and got a hard on Experian Smiley Sad but it was worth it for a 5000 increase.I only received an automated increase way back when I first got the store card. After a few months of use I was elated to see the limit was increased to 1,000 from 300. Since then I have not gotten any automated increases at all. I really don't want to have more on the store side. I don't want it to take away from what they will grant me on the American Express side.

From what I know, they can actually split them.  So, if they SP and qualify for the CLI on both, you can "even out" the CLs if you prefer (some people like consistency).  However, I would agree that the AMEX side would stand with better/higher CL flexibility than the store side.  My Macy's AMEX sits currently at $14K while the store side is $8K.

Message 11 of 14
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

Very nice bump indeed!  Mine have always been auto-CLIs but have noticed they SP before the CLIs eventually take effect.  The same SP timeframe is done for all 4 of my accounts (Macy's Pref AMEX & Store and Bloomingdale's Reserve AMEX & Store).  There's no specific pattern that I can discern as to when DSNB does the SPs since I see them every other month or so.  So, it appears if you request a CLI, and have been softed, then you will not incur the HP.

That does appear to be the case. Last time I did it through the lnk on the website and got a hard on Experian Smiley Sad but it was worth it for a 5000 increase.I only received an automated increase way back when I first got the store card. After a few months of use I was elated to see the limit was increased to 1,000 from 300. Since then I have not gotten any automated increases at all. I really don't want to have more on the store side. I don't want it to take away from what they will grant me on the American Express side.

From what I know, they can actually split them.  So, if they SP and qualify for the CLI on both, you can "even out" the CLs if you prefer (some people like consistency).  However, I would agree that the AMEX side would stand with better/higher CL flexibility than the store side.  My Macy's AMEX sits currently at $14K while the store side is $8K.

I've never seen them say they can't do a CLI on store or on Amex because of a recent or to high cl on the other.

Message 12 of 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@navigatethis12 wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

I've never seen them say they can't do a CLI on store or on Amex because of a recent or to high cl on the other.

It happens.  However, as with the above scenario, DSNB is only going to allow so much per TL.  For illustration purposes, if one gets approved a CLI of $3K for the store side, and $5K on the AMEX side, then the option exists to evenly split the total (or aggregate CLI) for each TL.  In the end, most would likely opt to receive the highest CL for the AMEX side.

Message 13 of 14
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Lucky! Thats a gift from Macys because they dont always make it a SP. 

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.