Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Amex New Process

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's Amex New Process

I just got the Macy's AMEX... Rep on the phone told me I had to goto the store for an upgrade (first lie) the sales clerk was more than happy to take my application, and within minutes had someone on the phone to verify my MIDDLE INITIAL! After that whole thing, I was able to my approval of the AMEX for 8K, the rep at the time on the phone said my Macy's store limit was TBD (second lie) To my surprise, Macy's AMEX now has ONE CL for both... No more two statements nor two TL's reporting... That being said, I kept my old Macy's Store Card with a 5K limit and my New Amex... They need to get their **** together!

Credit Score: 715
Cards in my Wallet:
Amex Delta 6K Amazon 1K Barclays iTunes 5K BOA Visa 1.5K Bob's Furniture 5.7K Cabelas Visa Signature 5K Capital One QS MC 7.7K Capital One Visa Signature 5K Capital One Venture Visa Signature 10K Care Credit 7K Chase Freedom Visa 500 Discover 7K Express (Comenity) 3K Kay Jewelers 5.5K Kohls 1K Liberty Bank Visa (Elan) 4K Lowe's 6K Macys AMEX 8K Macys 5K Merrick Bank Visa 1.8K Men's Wearhouse 2.5K Nutmeg State FCU Visa 5K Pottery Barn 2K Target 1.8K TJX 1K Toro (Synchrony) 5K Walmart 1.5K BK7 Discharged 6/2009

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Macy's Amex New Process

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got the Macy's AMEX... Rep on the phone told me I had to goto the store for an upgrade (first lie) the sales clerk was more than happy to take my application, and within minutes had someone on the phone to verify my MIDDLE INITIAL! After that whole thing, I was able to my approval of the AMEX for 8K, the rep at the time on the phone said my Macy's store limit was TBD (second lie) To my surprise, Macy's AMEX now has ONE CL for both... No more two statements nor two TL's reporting... That being said, I kept my old Macy's Store Card with a 5K limit and my New Amex... They need to get their **** together!

Cards in my Wallet:
Amex Delta 6K Amazon 1K Barclays iTunes 5K BOA Visa 1.5K Bob's Furniture 5.7K Cabelas Visa Signature 5K Capital One QS MC 7.7K Capital One Visa Signature 5K Capital One Venture Visa Signature 10K Care Credit 7K Chase Freedom Visa 500 Discover 7K Express (Comenity) 3K Kay Jewelers 5.5K Kohls 1K Liberty Bank Visa (Elan) 4K Lowe's 6K Macys AMEX 8K Macys 5K Merrick Bank Visa 1.8K Men's Wearhouse 2.5K Nutmeg State FCU Visa 5K Pottery Barn 2K Target 1.8K TJX 1K Toro (Synchrony) 5K Walmart 1.5K BK7 Discharged 6/2009

Wow... it's almost as if they really don't want folks getting their Amex - I mean really, why even have a product if you're going to make the process convoluted and shrouded in mystery to even get it?

I'm almost glad I'll likely never be eligible for one of their cards again... geez! 

Message 2 of 11
score_building
Senior Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cards in my Wallet:

Wow... it's almost as if they really don't want folks getting their Amex - I mean really, why even have a product if you're going to make the process convoluted and shrouded in mystery to even get it?

I'm almost glad I'll likely never be eligible for one of their cards again... geez! 

No mystery about the hum drum rewards and sky high non-tiered one size fits all APR, not to mention the pittance offered by the new Plenti partnership.

High CL is cool, not much else to make it distinguishable from standard junk store card product.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How was it a lie to go in for an Amex they've been saying that for months now.
Message 4 of 11
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Cards in my Wallet:

There's a lot of confusion with the Macy's card. I have one. The Macy's Amex has an underlying Macy's store account number. You swipe the Amex in the store, and it appears on the statement for the store card. I'll have a store payment due on the 13th, and the Amex (non-store) payment is due on the 20th. There are two separate credit lines, and two different entries on the credit report.

The large change last year was that they used to have multiple subaccounts for the store, such as if you purchased furniture, jewelry - each would appear as their own account on the credit report(s). I bought a watch many years ago and had that subaccount reporting for over a decade, long after I'd paid for the watch and had never used the subaccount again.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Amex and everything merged into the one card and I only have ONE due date now. It does not split off anything into separate accounts or statements. My receipts and statements always show Macy's Amex only. We all found out months ago that it isn't the same for everyone though
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Cards in my Wallet:

No mystery about the hum drum rewards and sky high non-tiered one size fits all APR, not to mention the useless crap rewards of the new Plenti partnership.

High CL is cool, not much else to make it distinguishable from standard junk store card product.

+1 about the "meh" everything with Macy's. Could not have said it better. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I personally don't understand the appeal of the Macy's Amex except for people to claim they have an Amex albeit a cobranded one. The way they handle the store card alone has been enough to turn me off from using any of Macy's products. There are way better cards out there for everyday use and guess what they work at Macy's too. I would never be comfortable using a Macy's Amex as an everyday card, a store card to use for sales or discounts is just fine with me once or twice a year.
Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have the Amex and everything merged into the one card and I only have ONE due date now. It does not split off anything into separate accounts or statements. My receipts and statements always show Macy's Amex only. We all found out months ago that it isn't the same for everyone though

that is so odd... Our Macy's Amex is still 2 accounts:

Store is $24,000

Amex is $25,000

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been seeing various "Macy's cards are garbage" threads for a while now. The bank's IT problems and poor customer service don't seem to stop people from using (or applying for) the cards.

Gluttons for punishment?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.