cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Credit Card....Predatory...Advice??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's Credit Card....Predatory...Advice??

So my mother is trying to buy a house really soon, and we've been making sure all of her ducks are in a row before we buy the house.  She has been a loyal Macys card holder since I was a kid.  She has never missed a payment.

My mother doesn't know too much about credit on a deeper level like some here on the forum.  So while she was making her payments on time, she wasn't really paying down the debt.

[This was before COVID]  Before she traveled overseas, we recommended her just paying off the amount it says she owed.  She obliged.  SHe goes online and pays off the balance.  Then she travels.

She doesn't bother even logging in anymore, because she was overseas and had no reason to use her Macy's card.  When she returns from overseas, she sees her credit dropped by 50 something points.

Bewildered, she was wondering how this could happen...after calling Macy's they tell her becasuse there was a compounding interest amount that hit her account after.

We ask the credit department could they change the late payment, because my mother has a sterling payment history, and it's obvious that she tried to pay off the amount in good faith.  They would not budge, and had thi callousness, mocking my 65 year old mother for not understanding interest, and saying it isn't their fault.

The thing is, it wasn't really my mothers fault either.  She isn't a financial professional.  If she sees that this is the amount she owes total, then she assumes once that's paid off - then she shouldn't owe anything.

I feel Macy's is being SUPER petty - and I was wondering if anybody can offer any type of advice for this?  Like she literally hasn't missed payments, and we were on the verge of getting her a house in the next few months - this literally SCREWED her over.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macy's Credit Card....Predatory...Advice??

In reality, they are correct - this isn't their fault, it is your mothers. Not understanding trailing interest isn't an excuse. 

That said, I'd hope you can find someone with the power to help her out. This is such a small amount. In order to improve the chances of this happening, she needs to call and kill them with kindness. You're going to have to find someone that WANTS to help you, not someone that you bully into helping you (cause that won't work). 

Message 2 of 12
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Trailing interest is standard for everyone. Unfortunately, if you're paying in full or always carrying a balance every month, you'll never run into it so it'll be a big surprise if you're not aware it exists or how credit cards are billed.

You can try writing goodwill letters to CITI and Macy's executive offices, maybe the CEOs. There really isn't anything else you can do other than to bombard them with letters and calls. Sorry.

Message 3 of 12
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My mother doesn't know too much about credit on a deeper level like some here on the forum. 

... Bewildered, she was wondering how this could happen...after calling Macy's they tell her becasuse there was a compounding interest amount that hit her account after.

... The thing is, it wasn't really my mothers fault either.  She isn't a financial professional.

... I feel Macy's is being SUPER petty - and I was wondering if anybody can offer any type of advice for this? 

Welcome to My Fico Forums, @Anonymous.  Unfortunately, we won't have good news for you.  Yes, it's obvious that your mom didn't understand credit.   Like your mom, the great majority of people with credit cards are also not "financial professionals" but we all still have an obligation to understand financial agreements before we enter into them.  So yes, she was at fault since trailing (or compounding) interest is a pretty universal concept with credit and she is ultimately responsible, even if she didn't understand.  Granted, that some lenders might be compassionate and forgiving but they aren't required to be.  I've had some go either way when I've made an honest mistake. 

As for advice, it's not so much about fixing what has already happened as much as it to protect her from additional errors in the future:

(1)  Do you and your mother understand what happened??  It doesn't sound like you really do, and this is the most important thing: learn from our mistakes.  Credit cards typically have a "grace period" that usually lasts for about three weeks from the statement cut date until the payment due date.  With most credit card agreements, if you have NEW charges (posted since the previous statement cut date) and you pay all new charges IN FULL monthly, you won't owe any interest.  However, if you're carrying a balance like Mom did, that interest is accumulating day-by-day until the bill is paid.  So if you're carrying charges, you always need to allow for a little extra.  There are ways to estimate the amount due and add that to your payment, but you can also just wait for the follow-on statement and pay the trailing interest.

(2)  Mom apparently didn't have automatic minimum payments enabled since it sounds like she got late payment charges and late pays reported to the CRBs.  This is very easy to do with most cards and is a great safeguard for a situation like this.  She should have it enabled on all her cards.  Most will not charge the minimum payment if you make a manual payment before the due date.   If Mom had paid her balance in full and had automatic payments in place, this likely would have paid off the trailing interest with the next statement and completely avoided this situation even if she was out of the country and didn't log into her account. 

(3)  "Goodwill Letters" as mentioned are your only real recourse.  If you do a web search for the term goodwill letters, you'll find examples.  Basically, you're NICELY and POLITELY asking the lender to forgive your mistake.  You describe what happened.  You accept your part of the blame (which it doesn't sound like you did when you called before.)  You tell them what you did to "fix" it, such as educating yourself about how it happened and enabling automatic payments.  And you ask for them to make a "goodwill adjustment" to the information being reported to the CRB.    Sometimes, the first letter won't work but if you continue to send them to different addresses and management levels of the lender, you may get results eventually. 

Once again, welcome and I hope you have good luck sorting this out!

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Trailing interest is not Predatory. Macys Apr is very high because its a store card and carrying balances without paying in full every month will kick in this apr. Not Macys fault. Stinks but this is also why always sign into your accounts at least once a month  to check on things like this. The bill should also show interest  being added. .

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

But I feel like if the website says this is what your balance is 850 dollars, that to a normal person means this is what you owe to Macy's.  She paid off her entire balance based on what the online portal was telling her.

shouldnt any money owed be added to the balance being quoted?

she paid off the entire balance that was showing on the website .  Only to find out that that balance didn't factor in later interest.

she didn't see any warning because she was out of the country 

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

But I feel like if the website says this is what your balance is 850 dollars, that to a normal person means this is what you owe to Macy's.  She paid off her entire balance based on what the online portal was telling her.

she paid off the entire balance that was showing on the website .  Only to find out that that balance didn't factor in later interest.

You're not understanding how interest on revolving balances is calculated and billed. This could be the root of why you feel this is so unfair (or predatory in your words). 

Again, if there is any chance of GW by the lender, it will result from acknowledging the mistake - not blaming the system because you don't understand it. 

Message 7 of 12
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous, have you or your mom ever had a car loan or a mortgage?  And have you ever gone to pay off that car or sell the house?  Both of those loans typically work the same way as most credit cards.  They accrue interest DAILY, not MONTHLY.  So you have to get a "Pay Off Balance" quoted by the lender to know exactly how much you owe on any given date.   If Mom's charges were all posted since the last statement, that balance showing on the website WOULD have been correct (but only because credit cards usually include a 'grace period' for new charges.)  But since she was carrying a balance she owed interest on every day since the last statement.  Bank websites don't update on a daily real-time basis.  They show the information available as-of the last statement cut.  This is standard across the industry and there is nothing predatory going on here. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 8 of 12
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

The other thing to understand is that the Macy's credit card is issued by Department Stores National Bank, a division of Citibank (South Dakota).  The credit card says Macy's in big letters, but it is really a Citibank (South Dakota) credit card.  So your mother is not dealing with Macy's but with Citibank.  Years of loyalty to Macy's as a store means nothing to Citibank.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 9 of 12
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I truly do not mean to pile on, but this is why assumptions and actions predicated on feelings are misguided.

Feelings have no IQ. What we are bound by relative to credit are FACTS...and the fact is, your mother did not have accurate comprehension of how her credit product worked.

Take it as a lesson learned and move forward, as we all have at some point or another.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.