Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Mishap, or maybe mistake

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macy's Mishap, or maybe mistake

So I did something I never do. I was in Macy's and making a decent purchase and as always they ask if I was putting on my macys card, and I made the comment that it had been closed due to inactivity. Well to shorten a very long dialog, I ended up biting and calling card services and was told that I could re-open WITHOUT a pull. So I bit. 

Well, there was an error and we got a referall code. So I called and was told that I couldn't re-open my old store account since they had done the switch (to Citi I presume). I said "well, if no HP has been done then, no harm, no foul, thanks".

Well then today I get an alert from MyFico that a new HP was found on my report. So I call again. I was informed that a hard pull had been done and she couldnt figure out why, but that I had a pending approval for an Amex card. They offered me an 8K limit which I ended up taking....

So this leads to my question; Did i make a mistake? I do shop at macys enough to make use of it, but I did just recently get the CSR and I am worried how my average will be effected and how it might look that I got 3 cards in one year... am I overthinking it? 

Thoughts? 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Sexyblue
Contributor

Re: Macy's Mishap, or maybe mistake

You may be over thinking it. Also, they HP you so might as well keep the card, especially since you shop Macey’s enough to justify having it.  

TU 660,EX 679, EQ 673,
DiscoverIT19,500 | Barney's NY,16000 | Jcrew, 8000 | Macy'sRed,12000 | Bloomingdales,9000 | Elan Visa, 5000|
P.C Richards ,4000 | Amazon, 3000 | Barclays, 3000 WalmartMC, 3000 | Target, 3400| Brooks Brothers 1,400
CAP1, 1250 | BOA,1000 | BestBuy, 1000 | American Airlines, 1300|
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1

Unless you've a bunch of HPs that's dropping your score significantly and making your report look bad, no need to worry....even assuming this is so, your nice credit limit will pull it through in 2 to 3 months.

Message 3 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

OT, 3 cards in a year is a drop in the bucket here at FicolandSmiley Wink. If you will use it , take that beauty of sl and go buy yourself something nice so when you pull out that CSR, you look GOODSmiley Happy
Message 4 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
OT, 3 cards in a year is a drop in the bucket here at FicolandSmiley Wink. If you will use it , take that beauty of sl and go buy yourself something nice so when you pull out that CSR, you look GOODSmiley Happy

+1

I'll leave it to others to discuss if there's value in the card itself, but I can add that three cards in a year is absolutely nothing... seriously!  Smiley Very Happy

You'll be fine.  Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lmao @joe.... so true tho.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I did something I never do. I was in Macy's and making a decent purchase and as always they ask if I was putting on my macys card, and I made the comment that it had been closed due to inactivity. Well to shorten a very long dialog, I ended up biting and calling card services and was told that I could re-open WITHOUT a pull. So I bit. 

Well, there was an error and we got a referall code. So I called and was told that I couldn't re-open my old store account since they had done the switch (to Citi I presume). I said "well, if no HP has been done then, no harm, no foul, thanks".

Well then today I get an alert from MyFico that a new HP was found on my report. So I call again. I was informed that a hard pull had been done and she couldnt figure out why, but that I had a pending approval for an Amex card. They offered me an 8K limit which I ended up taking....

So this leads to my question; Did i make a mistake? I do shop at macys enough to make use of it, but I did just recently get the CSR and I am worried how my average will be effected and how it might look that I got 3 cards in one year... am I overthinking it? 

Thoughts? 

Macy's credit never seems to have their stuff together.  

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone. I've worked hard to get my stuff straight over the years and hearing some of these replies make me feel better about the decision. 

I just ran the numbers for new AAoA after this hits my profile, I'll go from 99mo to 73mo which I guess is pretty good. 

I spoke to CS and arranged the additonal 25% off my recent purchase (to be applied to my BCP) due to the snafu which will yield me $70 credit on the purchase.

So no bonus points like the CSR, but a little savings on some necessary expenses. 

Last side question, this will be my 4th Amex card, do they still have the 4 card limit? Or is this not affected?

Message 8 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone. I've worked hard to get my stuff straight over the years and hearing some of these replies make me feel better about the decision. 

I just ran the numbers for new AAoA after this hits my profile, I'll go from 99mo to 73mo which I guess is pretty good. 

I spoke to CS and arranged the additonal 25% off my recent purchase (to be applied to my BCP) due to the snafu which will yield me $70 credit on the purchase.

So no bonus points like the CSR, but a little savings on some necessary expenses. 

Last side question, this will be my 4th Amex card, do they still have the 4 card limit? Or is this not affected?

With that AAoA you're more than OK, you're still doing fantastic.  Smiley Wink

The Amex card limit you mention was for Centurion Bank Amex cards (i.e. 'original' Amex); Amex cards offered by other banks such as USAA, Wells Fargo, Citi/Macy's were never included.  FWIW, that old limit was said to be five, but even that seems to be flexible at times (I mention this in case you were planning to load up on Amex cards... LOL).

Congrats on your new Macy's card!  I don't have one myself, but they are said to be great for special sales notifications and bonus buys... if you're a frequent Macy's shopper it should serve you well!  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think the 4 card limit no longer applies. Have seen people posting more than 5 Amex cards.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.