Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Reporting Question?

tag
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Macy's Reporting Question?

While I was in Macy's I apped for and got my first store card....yes, for the 20% refund. I never do this., but my frugal side set in.

What I got in the mail was their AmEx. There was no credit limit information in the mailing, so I called them. They tell me I have a $6,000 limit on the AmEx outside of Macy's and a $1,200 limit in store. Also, they told me these would be 2 separate statements.

Can anyone share with me how they report? Did this increase my total credit by $7,200? Do they report these limits at all? Also, are the "star rewards" worth much?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: Macy's Reporting Question?

Did you get a separate Macy's card as well? These sound like 1) a Macy's charge card 2) a Macy's AMEX card. My understanding is they consider you for both cards unless you specify otherwise. If that case, they will report as two different accounts.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 2 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

No, I only got the one card....but they are telling me it's 2 different credit lines. Maybe a 2nd card is on the way.

Message 3 of 11
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

I too would suspect your Macy's charge card would be on its way.

I only got the Macy's card when I applied but I think I might have opted out on the screen since I was unsure I would qualify for a real credit card.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 4 of 11
doggeral

I have had this card for several years.  It is two different lines and two different credit card numbers.  However you will only have/need the one card.   When you use it at Macys it will use your Macy's credit line and when you shop anywhere else it will post to your Amex line.  It even shows up as seperate accounts on the Macy's website.

As far as reporting it reports as two seperate credit cards with two different numbers, credit lines and history.    (I can vouch for the history, because I got my macy's card before they partnered with AMEX and I automatically got an American Express Macy's card even though before it was just a store card and my Amex has a shorter history than my Macy's card)

Hope this helps

Message 5 of 11
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

@doggeral wrote:

I have had this card for several years.  It is two different lines and two different credit card numbers.  However you will only have/need the one card.   When you use it at Macys it will use your Macy's credit line and when you shop anywhere else it will post to your Amex line.  It even shows up as seperate accounts on the Macy's website.

As far as reporting it reports as two seperate credit cards with two different numbers, credit lines and history.    (I can vouch for the history, because I got my macy's card before they partnered with AMEX and I automatically got an American Express Macy's card even though before it was just a store card and my Amex has a shorter history than my Macy's card)

Hope this helps

How interesting! Does it have the AMEX logo? Does the number on the card match AMEX or Macy's account?

Message 6 of 11
doggeral

It has a Macy's logo at the top and an Amex logo on the bottom right.  The card has the AMEX number on it.

Message 7 of 11
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing the info :-)

Message 8 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Mailak wrote:

I too would suspect your Macy's charge card would be on its way.

I only got the Macy's card when I applied but I think I might have opted out on the screen since I was unsure I would qualify for a real credit card.

When I applied, they didn't even ask me or explain that there were 2 credit lines. I had no idea I was getting an AmEx line. I was in the store. They asked my SS#, annual household income, and house payment. That's all. Fastest and easiest app I ever made. I think right now my FICOs are in the 760-770 range (no lates).

Message 9 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@doggeral wrote:

Hope this helps

Thanks...this explains it.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.