Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's Store Card No Longer Amex Upgradeable

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Macy's Store Card No Longer Amex Upgradeable

Sorry if someone already posted this. But, I secured messaged Macy's on 9/1/15 asking them about an Amex upgrade. I just receieved an email back from them saying, we longer will upgrade macy's store accounts to american express. Please apply online or in store if you would like an amex.

Bloomingdale's told me to call them via their last email sent to me the other day. Since wait times on the phones are so high, I was going to hold off till next month but who knows maybe its not do able anymore on their side, tooI am over having either one of those cards as an amex, its not worth the hassle and I already have a few amex's. but, macy's store card i will probably close and keep bloomingdale's. 

Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's Store Card No Longer Amex Upgradeable

Noooooooooooo :-( Welp guess I'll be stuck with the store card
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 2 of 40
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking this is the direction they were heading considering a lot of the recent system upgrades and platform changes, including the accounts consolidations (or lack thereof) and HPs for customer-initiated CLIs. 

I'm assuming you're near any of their stores?  Since the online feature is not looking as a viable option, maybe try that?  At least for the Bloomingdale's AmEx.

I'm glad I got both back when the dinosaurs roamed the Earth!   They used to be issued as Visa before the AmEx conversions a few years back.

Message 3 of 40
ddemari
Super Contributor

Macy's flagship Chicago is 2 blocks from office and Bloomingdales about 7 blocks north of me.
Message 4 of 40
ddemari
Super Contributor

My bf had the Macy's visa. Hated when they switched over to Amex for someone. Not an Amex fan I guess. Lol
Message 5 of 40
ddemari
Super Contributor

U think one can go into Bloomingdales store and ask cashier at counter about upgrade?
Message 6 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Let us know if you decide to try, ddemari. I like my Bloomingdale's card but can still make purchases at Bloomingdale's with some of my better rewards cards - so am thinking about whether I want to keep it. Not really happy about keeping it if they want to HP for all CLI's going forward and if they don't offer an upgrade option.

Message 7 of 40
ddemari
Super Contributor

My Bloomingdales limit is $13,300.00 and Macy's $ 2,000.00.

Was keeping Macy's open for the possible upgrade. Now I'm ehhh about Macy's, unless something is deeply on clearance, I can buy the same stuff at marshalls/tjmaxx. Bloomingdales is a different category because I expect the mark up lol.
Message 8 of 40
ddemari
Super Contributor

I could swear my ebates visa was offering 16% cash back at Bloomingdales online lol recently. Much better deal than loyalist points lol.
Message 9 of 40
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@ddemari wrote:
U think one can go into Bloomingdales store and ask cashier at counter about upgrade?

I would try that option but I'm not sure how well-informed the store associates might be given the recent changes.  You could say that you already have the store card and explain to them you want the AmEx as well.  Perhaps they can connect you with the credit department (i.e. dedicated line for stores) and see what they say.

My guess would be (again, just a guess) that they would want you to reapply and see if you qualify for the AmEx (not sure if you can still select that option at the POS terminal?) since the system should be able to detect you have the store version.

I wish it were like Nordstrom or Saks (at least those options still exist despite some system upgrades).  Oh, while you're at Bloomingdale's, I'll send you with a little list of items too!  Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.