cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's no longer releasing credit limits to consumers???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macy's no longer releasing credit limits to consumers???

If you have the Macy's AmEx there should be no problems.  You know your store card limit has to be at least equal to your Macy's AmEx limit.  All in-store purchases with your AmEx automatically convert over and post to your store card statement anyhow.

Message 11 of 50
score_building
Senior Contributor

Interesting I had thought there were 2 different lines- with potentially 2 different CLs on the AMex.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 12 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

when i called the man told me the same line except he said that my credit card amount had increased but he could not tell me what it increased to. so they DO still use credit limits except they dont tell you what it is anymore. he told me to give him random amounts and he can tell me if my limit qualifys for that amount of spending. original limit is 300$ so i said 600$ and he said yes my new credit limit can handle that. then i said $900 and he said my new credit limit can handle that as well so i stoped there. all in and all this is beyond rediculous so im guessing my credit limit is higher then 900$ now but i have no idea what it is and dont care to find out. it seems that by not stating your credit limit they added the ability to go over your credit limit by authorizatio not that that interests me ill stick with the 900$ i dont care if my cl is 2000$ i could care less.

Message 13 of 50
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

when i called the man told me the same line except he said that my credit card amount had increased but he could not tell me what it increased to. so they DO still use credit limits except they dont tell you what it is anymore. he told me to give him random amounts and he can tell me if my limit qualifys for that amount of spending. original limit is 300$ so i said 600$ and he said yes my new credit limit can handle that. then i said $900 and he said my new credit limit can handle that as well so i stoped there. all in and all this is beyond rediculous so im guessing my credit limit is higher then 900$ now but i have no idea what it is and dont care to find out. it seems that by not stating your credit limit they added the ability to go over your credit limit by authorizatio not that that interests me ill stick with the 900$ i dont care if my cl is 2000$ i could care less.

All of the cloak and dagger reminds me of Amex's magical limits.

Message 14 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

@score_building wrote:

Interesting I had thought there were 2 different lines- with potentially 2 different CLs on the AMex.

The store card and the AmEx each have their own line.

I'm just saying, if you don't know your limit on the store card, it cannot be lower than on the Macy's AmEx.  Every time you use your Macy's AmEx at Macy's, the purchase amount ultimately is switched over to your store card prior to the billing date.  So, if your AmEx limit is known to be, for example, $1,000 and you buy a $1,000 TV, that amount will appear on your next store card statement.  So how can your store card limit be less than $1,000?

Message 15 of 50
creditisbetter2
Contributor

So I found this great thread on this same topic.  I read all 7 pages of comments.  If you read everything, you will find an explanation (sort of) to this credit issue with macys. 

[Edited]

Hi creditisbetter2,

Unfortunately I had to remove that link because it violates the forum's Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines that say:

…………..we cannot allow postings that include the promotion of any credit repair organization or the posting of links to web sites that promote any credit repair actions that are not allowed in these Forums.

Thanks for your understanding.

-Marinevietvet, myFICO moderator

Message 16 of 50
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@score_building wrote:

The store card and the AmEx each have their own line.

I'm just saying, if you don't know your limit on the store card, it cannot be lower than on the Macy's AmEx.  Every time you use your Macy's AmEx at Macy's, the purchase amount ultimately is switched over to your store card prior to the billing date.  So, if your AmEx limit is known to be, for example, $1,000 and you buy a $1,000 TV, that amount will appear on your next store card statement.  So how can your store card limit be less than $1,000?

Now I get it, makes sense...still hoping this isn't the new normal for Macy's since just recently got my store card into the 5 figure range Smiley Sad

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 17 of 50
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

My mom has the macy's amex. The limit on the amex side is 7k and the store side is only 1.5k.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 18 of 50
creditisbetter2
Contributor

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

So I found this great thread on this same topic.  I read all 7 pages of comments.  If you read everything, you will find an explanation (sort of) to this credit issue with macys. 

[Edited]

Hi creditisbetter2,

Unfortunately I had to remove that link because it violates the forum's Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines that say:

…………..we cannot allow postings that include the promotion of any credit repair organization or the posting of links to web sites that promote any credit repair actions that are not allowed in these Forums.

Thanks for your understanding.

-Marinevietvet, myFICO moderator

My apologies.  I wasn't aware the site was a credit repair site.  I do know there's a 7 page thread on this very issue.  Would it be ok if I copied and pasted what someone said from that site?  The information is very important to what people on this board, including myself, has been asking about this issue with Macys.

Message 19 of 50
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@creditisbetter2 wrote:

Would it be ok if I copied and pasted what someone said from that site?  The information is very important to what people on this board, including myself, has been asking about this issue with Macys.

Copying and pasting isn't allowed. Content aside, there are some copyright issues involved.

You can always say something like "someone over at CB said ......." and rephrase what he said. I did read that thread that you referred to and parallels what had already been posted, minus the insider.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.