Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's or Kohl's or Target....

tag
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

Macy's or Kohl's or Target....

Wanted to ask those who hold one or two or all three of these cards if they are reaping all the benefits from the card versus someone who does not have the card.  I know that Macy's and Kohl's promote additional savings for card holders and Target gets the 5% back on  Target purchases.  I am just wondering if it would be worth it for me to get one of these cards for additinal savings.  As it is now, I do my best to take advantage of coupons and cartwheel and using cash rewards cards for my purchases, but am wondering if I would get more if I had one of their cards.  I looked at my yearly spend and I spend a significant amount of money at these retailers.

Thanks again for any input!!!

Scores 8/25/2017~ TU: 753 / EXP: 742 / EQ: 726
Goal: 770's or higher by end of 2017
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Macy's or Kohl's or Target....

For me personally.... Kohl's credit card is absolutely worth it. I get 30% off and other perks and I just turn around and pay it off. Get that card if you buy a lot at Kohl's

Message 2 of 22
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

I have a Kohl's card and Heart it!  But then again, its my favorite place to shop as well!  They do offer birthday month coupons and extra % off coupons throughout the yr that can be stacked with the rewards/Kohl's cash that you earn on purchases.  Can't speak for Macy's ....never cared much for them, may shop in there 3x a yr.  On the Target front, you can get the Redcard debit version that works just like your debit card by taking the $ from your checking acct and you get the same 5% off with it so I don't see much benefit in apping for the credit version...esp since I've read on here multiple times that it doesn't ever really grow, and of course the APR is outrageous.

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 3 of 22
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

For me personally.... Kohl's credit card is absolutely worth it. I get 30% off and other perks and I just turn around and pay it off. Get that card if you buy a lot at Kohl's

Thanks for the input!  I am on their rewards program and use their coupons, but cardholders get more of a savings...so this is good to know!!  And yes, Kohls, Macy's and Nordstroms are the department stores that get most of my spend!  And I am at Target weekly. LOL

Message 4 of 22
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@FroggieMom wrote:

I have a Kohl's card and Heart it!  But then again, its my favorite place to shop as well!  They do offer birthday month coupons and extra % off coupons throughout the yr that can be stacked with the rewards/Kohl's cash that you earn on purchases.  Can't speak for Macy's ....never cared much for them, mayain i shop in there 3x a yr.  On the Target front, you can get the Redcard debit version that works just like your debit card by taking the $ from your checking acct and you get the same 5% off with it so I don't see much benefit in apping for the credit version...esp since I've read on here multiple times that it doesn't ever really grow, and of course the APR is outrageous.

Thank you for your input!  I completely forgot about the redcard debit version. I actually had that on my debit card years ago, but my debit card expired and never went back to update.  I may have to do this again instead of opening an account. I have gotten so use to using credit...I don't even carry my debit card with me as much anymore.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 22
hjh916
Established Member

I love my Kohl's charge. 30% coupons multiple times a year. Only issue I have is I can't get them to budge with a CLI. I've been stuck at $300 for over a year.
Message 6 of 22
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

@hjh916 wrote:
I love my Kohl's charge. 30% coupons multiple times a year. Only issue I have is I can't get them to budge with a CLI. I've been stuck at $300 for over a year.

thanks for your input!  I do know they give out small CL's...so wondering with these 30% coupons, do you need to use your kohl's card when using the coupons.  I know if i had a 30% coupon I would definitely be spending more than $300....  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 22
hjh916
Established Member

Yes, you need to use the coupon in conjunction with your Kohl's charge
Message 8 of 22
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I've had a couple of these over the years.  They're tempting to get for the discount but, pretty much useless for anything else.  I had a Target that was $200 or something like that for a few years and would never budge or convert to the Visa version and eventually dumped it.  I still have the Macy's AMEX but rarely use it for anything and just keeping it around for an open TL and history. At least I can use it for something else other than shopping if I needed to.  Kohl's is just pointless since there's no chance of being able to use it anywhere else or seeing much growth.  

If you're going to spend a HP get something that's going to fit your profile 5 years down the road instead of bargain hunting and hurting your CR / Scores for the next year.

Message 9 of 22
irunfromcredit
Frequent Contributor

I decided not pursue the target card since I was reminded in this thread that I opt for redcard debit and get the same 5% discount using my debit card. Im still on the fence with Macy's and kohls. I realize though that I can use my discover for 5% on kohls online and I think I Macy's falls in their category spend. I do spend quite a bit at kohls and Macy's, but not sure if I want to deal with another card despite additional savings. Need to mull over this some more....
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.