Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's or Kohl's or Target....

tag
CBetc
Contributor

Re: Macy's or Kohl's or Target....

@irunfromcredit wrote:

Wanted to ask those who hold one or two or all three of these cards if they are reaping all the benefits from the card versus someone who does not have the card.  I know that Macy's and Kohl's promote additional savings for card holders and Target gets the 5% back on  Target purchases.  I am just wondering if it would be worth it for me to get one of these cards for additinal savings.  As it is now, I do my best to take advantage of coupons and cartwheel and using cash rewards cards for my purchases, but am wondering if I would get more if I had one of their cards.  I looked at my yearly spend and I spend a significant amount of money at these retailers.

Thanks again for any input!!!

IMO it will always depend on which store(s) you're most likely to go to more often. I don't have a Kohl's nearby and have only maybe shopped there a few times. On the other hand, I tend to get all my moderate household items at Target, and do virtually all my clothes shopping at Macy's now. For me, those two cards are invaluable. (For the record, those two (and Mervyn's) were the first two credit cards I ever got as an 18 year old, so maybe I'm a little sentimentally attached... )

Target's straight 5% off discount at the register is fabulous, and the added benefit of extended warranty/return policies has helped out a few times.

Macy's discounts range from the steady stream of 20% off and $20 off $50+ coupons all the way up to special sales and events, with hidden bonus discounts that will catch you by surprise. A big chunk of these are applied on top of other discounts, and some even on special discounts like on Black Friday. A few years ago my savings on one particular early-morning 4 digit Black Friday spree was 75% off. Really can't beat that.

IMO getting them at their stores is a no brainer, especially if you already shop there. Just remember to pay off your balances most of the time due to the high interest. Both of these (Target moreso) tend to be stingy on the CLIs unless you let a balance report at least once every 6 months or so. Just pay it off the next cycle and you're much more likely to get a CLI later on. Small price to pay.

Message 21 of 22
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Re: Macy's or Kohl's or Target....

Have all 3. Kohls and Target are used the most and I have saved a lot. Macy's  on line only because there is no physical store in my area. They are all no AF so no cost if u don't use. Probably 3 of the best store cards available. Would also add Sears to that mix 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.