cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macy's store card Credit limit increase after 45 days!

tag
imovinup
Regular Contributor

Macy's store card Credit limit increase after 45 days!

I opened a Macy's store card account online and they gave me a crappy 300 limit. I called and asked for a 200 increase and they granted it. She told me online accounts get lower limits because they need to verify information. And she looked at the credit file I submitted for the card that was 45 days. They stay on file for 90 days then a soft pull is used for future credit limit increases. My credit 45 days ago was bad. Now that the public record and collection are leaving my credit report in the next 2 weeks it will be clear. IM going to pray for the Macy's American express version.

Starting Score: 5/30/13 TU 630; EQ618: EX PLUS639
Current Score: 4/2/15 TU 661; EQ 617; ; EX FICO 631
Goal Score: 700

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: Macy's store card Credit limit increase after 45 days!

Congrats. The best time, IME, to hit Macy's up for CLIs is around major shopping seasons like Christmas. They want you to spend.

The criteria for the AMEX is pretty tight, and common wisdom around here is that a significant portion of their decision matrix relates to your annual spend on your Macy's acccount.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 16
lissa1184
Established Member

I too recently opened an account with Macys and received a $500 limit. I called them up today based on your post and they gave me an increase of $300 without a HP. She also advised that they looked at the credit report used when I opened the card. I am doing the happy dance right now.

Starting Scores May 2013: EQ 604 TU 661 EX 690
Goal Scores: 700+
Message 3 of 16
imovinup
Regular Contributor

awesome , sharing is caring !

Starting Score: 5/30/13 TU 630; EQ618: EX PLUS639
Current Score: 4/2/15 TU 661; EQ 617; ; EX FICO 631
Goal Score: 700

Message 4 of 16
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Congrats on the CLI, and hope you get the upgrade.

Message 5 of 16
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

@Elcid89 wrote:

Congrats. The best time, IME, to hit Macy's up for CLIs is around major shopping seasons like Christmas. They want you to spend.

The criteria for the AMEX is pretty tight, and common wisdom around here is that a significant portion of their decision matrix relates to your annual spend on your Macy's acccount.

I opened mine w/o ever spending with them and got 1200/5000 store/AMEX version.  The incentive to offer an AMEX is they get to collect more swipe fees through daily use vs. store only.  

Message 6 of 16
Darksyde25
Valued Member

I opened a new store card account online the beginning of last month. I don't have the greatest credit because of years ago and charge offs etc. it was approved $600 limit. So I figured I'd try to get a cli through online chat ...it's been about 30 days. She asked what I wanted I said $1500. Approved! So it's now my highest limit card.. Go figure! I also asked about upgrading to Amex said I had to call so I did and the lady on the phone asked like one question and said it would take 1 billing cycle to find out, so I guess we will see
Starting/Current Score: TU:sub 600 EQ: sub 600 EX: sub 600
Message 7 of 16
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Well reading about all of the success here.......inspired me to hit macy's up on chat.

At first they told me to increase the limit would require a HP.

I said, is it not possible to increase the limit on a SP, I just saw macys had reviewed my EQ report a few days ago?

The rep told me that he could check, that if it got to the point that it would be a HP he would stop the process.

Asked me a few questions and said NO HP was required to take the limit from $1200 to $2500.

I accepted the offer of course!!!! Smiley Happy

*8/10/13
Message 8 of 16
lissa1184
Established Member

Congrats on the increase with the SP.

Starting Scores May 2013: EQ 604 TU 661 EX 690
Goal Scores: 700+
Message 9 of 16
aneauness

Thanks forum.  I applied for Macy's on Monday and was approved for $500. When I read this post--just browsing the forum--I decided to follow suite and call for an increase. I was given an extra $300. $800 is not a lot, but considering I will be using this card very little and PIF, I should be able to get regular increases and ultimately upgraded to the AMEX. 

Congrats to all you guys for getting the CLI.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.