Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Macys Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Macys Amex

I was approved last night for the macys amex with a sl of 2000.. I did it to save 20 percent which I regret since I hardly ever at shop at Macy's.. I looked online and seen many negative reviews.. I was hoping some people could chime in with their experiences. Believe me I strongly regret this app.. I have store cards.. But they're at least at places I usually shop at so I feel the rewards are worth it.. This time idk what the heck I was thinking. 😔
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Macys Amex

Well the best part of having this version is that you can at l least use it anywhere that accepts Amex. So its not limited to just Macys. Not sure on the Amex version but It can grow nicely with some use and pif history.

One thing to remember try not apping for a card , even with a discount on the day you are shopping, if you know you wont use it again or dont shop there frequently. Sometimes its just better to use another card to make those purchases. But lessons learnedSmiley Wink.

Side note, i personally like Macys and on occassion can get some great deals so you may find use from this card yet.
Message 2 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

While you could always close it, since you've already taken the HP and AAoA ding you might as well make the best of it.  IMO, you could have done much worse... of the store cards that are often discussed on here, Macy's is generally one of the more useful ones.

They often run in-store promotions that give you an additional percent off automatically (recently 20%) if you pay using a Macy's card (I know there might be other ways to get it, but with the store card it's automatic).  I've also had several people tell me their cardholder-only sales and promotions can be quite lucrative.

Here's something that has actually interested me... Ebates has a "running" promotion with in-store cash back at Macy's using a linked Visa or Amex.  I have it linked to my BCP so I'm able to 'double dip' with the BCP 3% and whatever the Ebates promotion happens to be; I would think you could link the Macy's Amex to Ebates the same way and 'double-dip' there as well. 

Although it's been a while, years ago I used to get good deals on mattress sets at Macy's, and having their card always came in handy for that.  Now that they no longer offer the split accounts (separate furniture, jewery, etc.) I'm not sure if the large-ticket financing is as lucrative as it once was, but again in time it might be something worth exploring.

Message 3 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Also, since Macy's is closing some of their stores, you will probably find additional savings on items you really need/want.

+1 AJC that at least it's the AmX card and not the store card since it can be used everywhere the AmX logo is displayed.

+1 UncleB on mattress/furniture purchases. I got a 12-month deferred interest for my LR furniture and am happy to say it will be paid off 3 mos early! And sometimes, Macy's account holders are offered furniture promos of 0% interest for 12 mos on mattress/furniture purchases over $499.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best way to use your Macy's card is to combine the coupons with sales. Last year there was a coupon for spending $50 and getting 20 off.  Most of the stuff there was 40-50% off so that was a great deal. I would just check out the sales catalogue on their website. They show the coupon offers too, so just buy stuff you need when you see a great coupon or sale. If you don't have a coupon, ask a salesperson. They can scan one for you at the register if you don't have one with you.

I don't know if this is in all the stores, but there is also last act. It's basically their lowest clearance prices. I've seen some stuff for 80% off, but none of them work with coupons. I bought a cuisanart food processor for $75 and it used to retail for $160. Smiley Happy The stuff varies by store though because I've seen some stores without the last act kitchen area. You don't have to use your card for last act, but I always use mine since they randomly give out coupons when you use your card.

Message 5 of 15
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

I can think of worse cards.  I've had this thing for a few years and it's just another option to pay with.  There's some perks if you're into shopping at Macy's often enough. For those that don't it's a good backup option to keep stowed away somewhere until you need it.  They're easy to get a CLI out of typically it's a SP and they don't even blinnk an eye at going to 10K with a chat, phone call, or SM.  It's definitely not a card to carry a balance on with the 24.xx% APR but, once again.... it's a backup.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for the replies!
I guess I'll hold onto it and just see .. I do have weddings to go to so maybe I will shop there a bit in these next couple of months.. But I'm still kicking myself in the butt because I've opened way too many accounts recently and I definitely did not need to add another. But oh well the damage is done. Lol
Message 7 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Now you know, and knowing is half the battleSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 15
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I was approved last night for the macys amex with a sl of 2000.. I did it to save 20 percent which I regret since I hardly ever at shop at Macy's.. I looked online and seen many negative reviews.. I was hoping some people could chime in with their experiences. Believe me I strongly regret this app.. I have store cards.. But they're at least at places I usually shop at so I feel the rewards are worth it.. This time idk what the heck I was thinking. 😔

The nice thing about Macy's is that you almost always get discounts when using their store card.   I just got 30% off last week when I bought jeans.   As for the AMEX side, they sometimes have decent Plenti offers if you use that program.  I used it for 3X points on groceries.   And the account can grow with SP CLIs.   Overall, you could have done much worse than this card.   I'd hold onto it for now.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 9 of 15
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

Keep it. It is one of the better store cards along with Kohls Target and Amazon 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.