Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made a "mistake" in closing my Chase Slate

tag
MTSN
Regular Contributor

Made a "mistake" in closing my Chase Slate

About 1.5-2 years ago I opened a Chase Slate to transfer a large balance to (roughly $9k I think). I paid off the balance during the 0% intro period and had the card sitting around for a couple of months not doing anything. I figured since it was basically a BT card it wouldn't be used ever again, so I transferred the credit line over to my Chase Southwest card which I use all the time and closed the Slate. Well a few weeks later, I get a page of convenience checks in the mail from Chase regarding my Slate card with an offer to use the checks for anything including cash with a new 0% rate for 14 months :doh:. I'm not sure why they sent them a few weeks after the card was already closed, but it was frustrating to get that since I definitely would have taken advantage of it! We just bought a house and are redoing the floors, so using an existing card with 0% would have been great!

Oh well, it's not a huge deal, but something to think about if  you're in the same position. I called to make sure they knew my card was closed and to double check I couldn't use the checks for another one of my cards but I can't. Looks like I'll be earning a lot of points on my SW card in the next couple months Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Made a "mistake" in closing my Chase Slate

Call them and see if they'll reopen the card, since they were willing to give you a new 14 month 0% offer. It can't hurt to try. 

Message 2 of 26
MTSN
Regular Contributor

I did send them a message through the online portal asking, but they said they couldn't. I'll bet I could get further by calling in, but it doesn't really matter too much at this point as I have the funds available to pay out of pocket. I might even get a discount with the contractors if I can pay cash. I was just bummed that I missed the boat on a potentially great offer thinking that a balance transfer card was useless after the initial 0% interest period!

Message 3 of 26
onstar
Established Contributor

Thanks. Good to know. I have a Slate that I got just for 0% BT. In fact, I have not used it once to purchase something. With the balance paid off, was going to transfer the CL to my Marriott card and close it out, but maybe I'll hold on to it for a few more months. Although, I'm not sure if I'll get such an offer since I just got this card 7 months ago.

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW I have had the slate for about 4 yrs and there is ALWAYS a 0% BT offer available, for me at least...currently I have 2 available offers one 3% transfer fee 0% int until May 2016and one 2% transfer fee and 0% until June 2016
Message 5 of 26
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I like the new cards look! 

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

ouch. i would not close cards without annual fees...

i got a similar offer for my boa 

Message 7 of 26
RaiseMyScoreASAP
Regular Contributor

That's a pretty card. I know it is perhaps silly to have card design come into a decision, but it does. Probably even less now because the cards can be on Apple Pay etc. But who would want to have William Shatner's face on a Priceline card? Maybe if you are a big Start Trek fan, but otherwise no.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Slate is now also offering the elusive Experian FICO's.

This is why I never close credit cards (no AF).  If they want to close on me for non-use then go ahead but it won't be me doing the closing.

I have never understood the need to close non-AF cards.  It lowers your available utilization.  It lowers the amount of time it will be reported as a positive tradeline.  Account closures just pretty much just hurts your credit in exchange for the joy of telling a rep to go stuff it with their credit card.

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Call them and see if they'll reopen the card, since they were willing to give you a new 14 month 0% offer. It can't hurt to try. 

+1

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.