Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintain grace period?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maintain grace period?

This is in reference to my wife's Chase Freedom Unlimited.

The statement cut 9/9 with a balance of $831.10. A credit of $3,212.89 posted 9/11. The account now shows a balance of -$2,381.79. The online interface shows "You don't have a payment due right now."

I know we need to make at least the minimum payment regardless of the negative balance. Do we need to pay the entire statement balance of $831.10 to maintain the grace period?

chase.jpg

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Maintain grace period?

The statement is already paid off by the refund, so I think not?

Message 2 of 43
Kforce
Valued Contributor

I do not have a Chase card. 

However many CC issuers require a payment of the statements minimum or grater to set the flag that a payment was made. 

Should not have to pay the full 831.10, only minimum.

Message 3 of 43
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The statement is already paid off by the refund, so I think not?

I don't know the answer in this specific case but OP's question is valid.  A rational person would by default conclude you're right but some issuers don't always properly account for this senario in their terms and conditions.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

There was a thread about this exact situation a few months back, I'm not going to look for it because it wasn't pretty (trainwreck-ish) but the lesson from it ...make a minimum payment.

Message 5 of 43
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

There was a thread about this exact situation a few months back, I'm not going to look for it because it wasn't pretty (trainwreck-ish) but the lesson from it ...make a minimum payment.

That older thread was what I thought of when reading this post.

That thread was interesting to say the least.

Make the minimum payment to avoid unnecessary hassle.

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 6 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best way to approach credit cards is that the statement is what you should be looking at. If there is a minimum payment on the statement, pay at least the minimum. If you want to keep your grace period, pay the statement balance. There are no nasty surprises if you just go by the statement. 

Message 7 of 43
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Call the number on the back of your card. Our conjecture serves you no purpose.

Message 8 of 43
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

Call the number on the back of your card. Our conjecture serves you no purpose.

A decent chunk of our members are by far more intimately familiar with "how it works" than most frontline CSRs. 

As far as *conjecture*, it's hardly one if drawn from personal and collective experiences. 

Minimum payment is due,  even though it will end up being another credit to the account. 

Message 9 of 43
Yankee2
Regular Contributor

this is from my last Chase statement. It's my opinion that Chase uses statement credit toward your minumums...

Your AutoPay amount will be reduced by any payments or merchant credits that post to your account before we process your AutoPay
payment. If the total of these payments and merchant credits is more than your set AutoPay amount, your AutoPay payment for that
month will be zero.

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.