Did you mean: 

Maintain grace period?

tag
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

Re: Maintain grace period?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Credit12Fico wrote:

We don't even need to consider whether the next statement closed with a positive or negative balance. 

Yes, we do. That is why some people run in trouble with Chase and others do not.

I agree with you,  only the balance at the due date should matter. But that is not what Chase thinks (or at least their computer system doesn't).   Instead,  Chase does  (indirectly) consider the balance when the next statement closes:       You need to consider   when and how  returns are applied.  At the end of the statement period,  Chase will first apply  the returns towards  the new  purchases,  then towards the part of the last statement balance above the minimum payment, and finally towards the minimum payments. (Payments, on the other hand, are first applied to the minimum payment, then the statement balance and finally  towards the new purchase).   If you did not make any payments, and the balance at  the end statement period is negative,   this means that the minimum payment has not been met and Chase will demand extra payments.   But if the balance is negative,  the returns will have been applied to the minimum payment, and  no payment is due.

Maybe, I'm wrong about this. But I have not seen any clear cases where  chase wanted someone to make  payments even if the balance at the end of stament period was negative.

Thank you for the detailed and enlightening post. I had not considered any of the issues related to the order in which the different transactions are processed and now I understand where the concern for the statement balance comes from. I assumed it was not related to it, but that does not appear to be the case.  And you are correct that what has been posted in the other forum tends to gloss over that detail as unimportant (because finding out that auto-pay has failed you and accounts closed probably infuriates and clouds the brain Smiley Happy).

Message 41 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase's reply was that no payment is due on October 6. I can post the full text when I'm at a computer, though there is nothing interesting about it.

We already pushed a payment for the entire balance from our bank so we're safe either way.

Message 42 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

If anyone is interested, Chase's reply is below. We didn't actually request a "credit balance refund" but so be it.

"Hello xxx,

We value your relationship with Chase and want to ensure we address your needs as a customer.

xxx, I assure you that there is no payment due by October 06, 2020. Further, I see that your account has a credit balance of $2,281.80. Therefore, we completed your request for a credit balance refund. If you have a U.S. mailing address for your credit card account, you may receive an email to your personal email address within 1 to 2 business days requesting to electronically deposit the funds into a U.S. checking or savings account of your choosing. Once the funds have been accepted, the timeframe to receive them into your account will depend on your bank's processing time. If you don't receive an email or if you don't accept the funds electronically within the timeframe specified in the email, a paper check will be mailed to the address on file within 7 to 10 business days from the initial request.

The amount of your refund can be different from what you requested because of recent purchases, interest charges, or fees that have posted to your account. You can see this on your next statement or by signing in to your account at chase.com.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a Chase customer.

Thank you,
xxx
Chase Email Servicing
xxx
xxx"

Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.