Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Changes to AMEX Delta Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Major Changes to AMEX Delta Cards

@K-in-Boston wrote:

While not all of the changes are bad, this is certainly going to make me have to rethink my 2020 strategy for sure.  And it's all over the board.  Oddly enough, the changes actually have me questioning whether to keep my American Express Platinum charge card.

This is where my thoughts are as well.....I have a lot of time to decide but the Plat may be the one to go. 

Message 21 of 169
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

For those who can run significant spend ($250k+) through the business cards, this is a huge positive change.

If you can expand on this, please

Message 22 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure what to do about my delta gold now. I've only used it once for this purpose but I really liked being able to access the delta sky club. On the other hand, I never travel with a companion, so the extra cost for the platinum is definitely not worth it in the long run.

I'd think about apping for the platinum before the AF goes up, getting the sub and using the TSA pre check credit the first year, then downgrading to the blue after that and closing my gold before its next AF.

Unfortunately I don't think amex is going to give me another card right now. I have three (delta gold, BCE, and everyday). The BCE & everyday both have 0% interest right now so I've let the balances creep up quite high. I got a measly $800 CLI on my delta gold this month, so I'm thinking they're considering me at the top of my limit.

Any thoughts on the likelihood they'd approve a app for the delta platinum (maybe reallocate some of my existing CLs)? An upgrade isn't worth it because I can't use the companion ticket, so the sub is a much better deal for me.
Message 23 of 169
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

For those who can run significant spend ($250k+) through the business cards, this is a huge positive change.

If you can expand on this, please

The Status Boost which is replacing Mileage Boost (same thing other than no bonus miles, but also allows you to hit additional tiers which were previously only targeted) can be done on both Platinum and Reserve business cards.  So drop $50k on Platinum and you'll earn an additional 20k MQMs and hit the MQD waiver up to Platinum Medallion.  Drop another $120k on Reserve and you'll earn an additional 60k MQMs.  Without even stepping foot onto a Delta or partner flight, you already have Platinum Medallion status through the rest of the year, all of the following year, and the January after, and are only 45k MQMs and either $15k MQDs or an additional $80k of spend (for the $250k Diamond MQD waiver) from hitting Diamond Medallion.  At that point, there's likely little need to ever pay for F seats domestically again.  Plus if someone doesn't already have the cards and is going for new ones, there are usually good MQM bonuses in the Welcome Offer of 5k or 10k per card.

Since it's assumed that most of that spend will be for non-category purchases for a lot of businesses, there's not much of an opportunity cost compared to say Business Platium if SkyTeam flights were how you would have redeemed MRs anyway.  Like BizPlat, there's the 1.5x on purchases over $5,000 and 1.5x on all purchases after $150k on Reserve, so that takes some of the sting of Mileage Boost going away with its 10k and 15k bonus SkyMiles at each level.  Adding the Gold Business SkyMiles card for 2x on advertising and shipping/freight and the $100 back for $10k spend could also make sense.  Everything pools together for the $25k and $250k marks for MQD waivers.

If someone wanted more flexible redemption options, certainly this may not be the way to go.  But if someone were looking to hit top-tier status with Delta while not needing to have constant revenue premium cabin international travel in order to hit those numbers, it's not a bad strategy for the right business owner (or high net worth individual with these business cards).  The worst-case value of a SkyMile is going to be 1.2 cents, but it really is easy to get at least 2 cents even in Main Cabin for domestic travel and Delta has really been hitting a lot of home runs with flash sales the past year or so throughout the cabin.

The ironic thing is that I write this just a few weeks shy of hitting Platinum Medallion, while I'm actually mulling it over in my head whether it may make sense for me to change to either Air France/KLM (a very close SkyTeam partner) or Virgin Atlantic (not SkyTeam but a very close Delta partner) next year for 2021 status.

Message 24 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta Platinum AMEX Refresh

Just got an email... Delta Platinum Amex is going through a refresh beginning January 30th, 2020.

Gaining 2X miles at restaurants, 2x miles at supermarkets, 3x miles at hotels, 3x miles spent with Delta and complimentary global entry/TSA Precheck benefit. Retains companion certificate and first bag free. Sky club rate went from $29 a visit to $39. Annual fee went from $195 to $250.
Message 25 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta Platinum AMEX Refresh

I was already teetering on closing the Delta Gold. While a $4 increase on the AF isn't significant enough to call foul in iteself, the lost benefits are. Again while I've never had the chance to make use of the Lounge, I probably would have if it worked out in my travels. IMO it's a loss for a Gold Card to lose lounge access. The extra mile for dining and supermakets is useless for those who already get 4X on Gold.

It definitely seals the deal for me to close it to maek room for a card that does work for me.

Message 26 of 169
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Increased annual fees and the Centurion lounge just got a bit more crowded starting January 30th (as if they aren't already packed enough).  I laugh at the complimentary upgrades.  Delta would rather sell an upgrade for next to nothing rather than give it away to their loyal customer.  

This is all a bit of a joke in my opinion.  And with the Delta Reserve having the same annual fee as the Amex Platinum you'd think they would have at least included the trip delay and cancellation protection with this card.   *smh*

Message 27 of 169
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

This is all a bit of a joke in my opinion.  And with the Delta Reserve having the same annual fee as the Amex Platinum you'd think they would have at least included the trip delay and cancellation protection with this card.   *smh*

Umm, they are.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amex-trip-delay-purchase-benefits/

Message 28 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was already teetering on closing the Delta Gold. While a $4 increase on the AF isn't significant enough to call foul in iteself, the lost benefits are. Again while I've never had the chance to make use of the Lounge, I probably would have if it worked out in my travels. IMO it's a loss for a Gold Card to lose lounge access. The extra mile for dining and supermakets is useless for those who already get 4X on Gold.

It definitely seals the deal for me to close it to maek room for a card that does work for me.

Sorry you’ve never experienced the lounge. I literally recouped the AF on the lounge by itself this year. My biggest dilemma is do I need both the Amex Plat and the Delta Reserve? My AF if in a few weeks, so I literally have over a year to decide. 

Side Note: One thing I am disappointed about the Reserve, they didn’t include the additional points on restaurants etc like they did they Delta Plat. 

Message 29 of 169
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry you’ve never experienced the lounge. I literally recouped the AF on the lounge by itself this year. My biggest dilemma is do I need both the Amex Plat and the Delta Reserve? My AF if in a few weeks, so I literally have over a year to decide. 

Side Note: One thing I am disappointed about the Reserve, they didn’t include the additional points on restaurants etc like they did they Delta Plat. 

Amex gold is 4x, why would you use Reserve?

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 30 of 169
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.