Did you mean: 

Major Changes to AMEX Delta Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta Platinum AMEX Refresh

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hmm I don't understand that at all. To me the Gold is the best.
The only thing else you get is a domestic companion pass
which I would never use as I don't live near a Delta hub.    

You just answered your own question. 

For people like me, who use the companion certificate, this is essentially free money.

Me with Platinum: Pay $250. Fly $600. $350 Savings

Me with Gold: Pay $100. Fly $600. $700 Lost.

Even if I do not get a companion pass the first year, Platinum will still give me $100 value in the second year. It is paying me, essentially. For me, Gold is pointless, because it returns me nothing. Platinum not only pays for itself but also gives me a very measurable return. Mostly, I do not even use it for anything else. I do use the lounge perk, but that's another story.

@Anonymous wrote:  as I don't live near a Delta hub. 

You don't need to live in a Delta hub to use this.

thing is if you don't live near a delta friendly airport, your "other airline options" may well be better than what delta has to offer, which may negate the benefits of the companion cert.

I base at DFW, when I travel on delta, I usually travel alone, when I do have a companion, for the trip we take, delta is twice as expensive as other options.

Its a huge YMMV situation, delta plat is definitely not for everyone.

Message 41 of 169
Noctilum
Frequent Contributor

Re: Major Changes to AMEX Delta Cards

Nothing will change for me.  I will keep both my Platinum and Reserve cards soley for the companion passes.  It is still well worth it for the routes I fly.  Any other perks the card gives I meet or exceed through status.  I would never put any spend on my cards, though, as it is much more valuable with other cards.

Message 42 of 169
digitek
Established Contributor

"For people like me, who use the companion certificate, this is essentially free money.

Me with Platinum: Pay $250. Fly $600. $350 Savings"

Yo static I think you might be confused on the Companion Pass. You buy a ticket they give you one just like it for free. You are only saving the difference between the now $250 AF and the cost of your single ticket, and it has to be domestic main cabin lower 48. In some cases you could straight up lose money, like a ticket to NYC for me is ~$200, the companion pass would save me the cost of another ~$200 ticket, so in this case you'd be in the hole $50.

Also, you eat a $250 AF that first year. You'll have to pay $500 now for that first companion pass. (Edit) SUB can definitely help offset that first AF so not as bad as it sounds actually.

Unless my layover is extra long I'm not paying $39 for SkyClub. They are nice, though, and good to have the option, but not likely to use it that much. IMO they are better than any other lounge. $29 wasn't so bad, but that extra $10 is ~30% increase and does kind of make it.....not so sure.

Free checked bags can offset a lot though if you fly enough and check bags. That $25 a bag can add up real fast.  This is where the Platinum kind of shines.  With Gold you get free checked bags for $100, for Platinum you can kind of get them for free if your Companion Pass can offset the AF.

I'm not sure about my Delta Plat right now after these changes. I've got the business version so not any useful categories really and I have Altitude Reserve already....

Message 43 of 169
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@digitek wrote:

"For people like me, who use the companion certificate, this is essentially free money.

Me with Platinum: Pay $250. Fly $600. $350 Savings"

Yo static I think you might be confused on the Companion Pass. You buy a ticket they give you one just like it for free. You are only saving the difference between the now $250 AF and the cost of your single ticket, and it has to be domestic main cabin lower 48. In some cases you could straight up lose money, like a ticket to NYC for me is ~$200, the companion pass would save me the cost of another ~$200 ticket, so in this case you'd be in the hole $50.

Also, you eat a $250 AF that first year. You'll have to pay $500 now for that first companion pass. (Edit) SUB can definitely help offset that first AF so not as bad as it sounds actually.

Unless my layover is extra long I'm not paying $39 for SkyClub. They are nice, though, and good to have the option, but not likely to use it that much. IMO they are better than any other lounge. $29 wasn't so bad, but that extra $10 is ~30% increase and does kind of make it.....not so sure.

Free checked bags can offset a lot though if you fly enough and check bags. That $25 a bag can add up real fast.  This is where the Platinum kind of shines.  With Gold you get free checked bags for $100, for Platinum you can kind of get them for free if your Companion Pass can offset the AF.

I'm not sure about my Delta Plat right now after these changes. I've got the business version so not any useful categories really and I have Altitude Reserve already....

1. The standard bag fee on Delta is $30. I think many of the other big airlines are at $30 now.

2. People who live in Hawaii or other "non-48" locations (maybe AK and PR, don't recall all the details) do have a little more flexibility with the companion certificate.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 44 of 169
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@digitek wrote:

Nope. I am not confused. I am well aware of what the companion certificate is, as I've been using it (I'm in my third year). Even if I skip a year not using it, I still have a positive return for when I use it. When I use it, I am smart about it (I even got my companion free upgrades because companions inherit medallion status). I live in SEA, and everything is expensive. With my math, I still get a return even if this is my first year (hint: don't fly in the first year. you also do this on other cards where the benefits kick in only after a year.).

I used to question the value of $29/visit lounge access fee, but after my recent experience in the preferential treatment they give to people in the lounge, it's worth it (delayed flight resolved smoothly in the lounge, and I even got a $200 certificate). The $10 increase next year does make me angrier because everything that raises in price makes me angry. At least, I can still access the lounge at a price vs the Gold. However, at the end of the day, I still get something. I object to the changes based on the fact that I have a degree of loyalty to Delta. 

Free check bags are nice. Although I personally do not use them as I tend to carry-on all my bags when traveling alone, certainly worth the AF for when I use it. Priority boarding is also nice if I travel economy.

Message 45 of 169
digitek
Established Contributor

Yeah man I kind of figured you knew how it worked I just couldn't make sense of that math, but then again I'm not in SEA I'm kind of midwest so I guess on average my lower 48 domestics will probably be cheaper.

Agreed on SkyClub, there a lot of them, they aren't crazy over crowded, and the fact that the Amex Delta Gold is losing all access to them might make them even less crowded =D

Message 46 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn’t want to even be in your club!!

Smiley Wink
Message 47 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pic from the Reddit Amex group. 12 more days until the refresh cards and benefits take effect on 1/30/2020. The new card image is showing up in my Delta app. I actually like these more without the numbers and Amex logo on the front. What do you guys think of the new designs? 

Delta Amex 2020.png

Message 48 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are nice - I have Delta Gold and although I’m just not a fan of the gold color, I think the new one looks good. Plat and Res look terrific. If they still have the sparkle finish of the current card they’ll look even better.
Message 49 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

reserve looks good, but plat and gold looks bad, black text on silver/yellow background is awful.

I am not sure those pics are final, and even if so, that doesn't suggest numbers are definitely at the back.

Message 50 of 169
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.