cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Changes to AMEX Delta Cards

tag
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Delta Skymiles Refreshed with Sweet SUB!

Not gonna lie, those new designs make me want to go for a Plat or Reserve sooner than anticipated. Sweet new SUBs don’t hurt either.
Message 91 of 169
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Re: Major Changes to AMEX Delta Cards

@Anonymous wrote:
Are they metal? 

@PointsBonus wrote:

Good question! Hope it's metal

@Anonymous wrote:

I imagine the Delta Plat and Reserve will become metal cards

Confirmed, for Platinum and Reserve:

"And, the Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Reserve American Express Cards
will now be made from metal — for the first time ever."

source: DELTA

Message 92 of 169
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

I still don't really know what I'm doing, doing the Lyft thing, everyone in my little professional services coterie seems to be Hilton so I'll probably give up on Marriot since that's now part of the Lyft ecosystem.

But I was looking through the Lyft promos and tagged the Skymiles membership too because why not and it did get me thinking.

Delta isn't a bad option out of LAX domestic or international.  The fact they do both, and my wayward travel may go to both, seems to suggest that wouldn't be a bad airline to wrap my arms around even if nearly got to SW A-List without trying hard last year... but out of curiosity for those of you playing on a travel calendar of like 10-15 round trips domestically, how would you setup on Delta or is it even worthwhile as I couldn't really find the details as to what it took to get to Silver on Delta's site if that is even an option.  

Keep in mind I have no problems flying cattle class dometically Smiley Happy.

        
Message 93 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are some nice SUBS, too bad I'm ineligible. 

Which probbaly is a good thing, trying to get out of that system not get sucked back in. lol

Message 94 of 169
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

First off, while I don't want the discussion to revolve too much around cosmetic features of the card, I can confirm that they are already taking orders for metal and mine will arrive in about 11 days.

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.48.40 PM.png

@Revelate LAX is a full-blown Delta hub with many other SkyTeam airlines flying out of there, so it is indeed a great choice.  10-15 round-trips domestically should be easily doable.  To put in easy terms, Delta Medallion status is either by doing A (miles flown) or B (segments flown) plus C (pre-tax dollars spent) or D (getting a waiver on spend by spending on Delta credit cards).  To illustrate that, here's what I did last year:

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 12.58.01 PM.png

MQMs are actual miles flown; there is a bonus for flying in First Class and partner earnings are a percentage of miles flown based on fare class (Aeromexico business class would be 150% (200% for J) but Vietnam Airlines would only be 100% in business).  You can earn MQMs as a Welcome Offer on Delta credit cards (usually 5k or 10k), and you can earn 15k for every $30k spent on Delta Reserve cards or 10k for every $25k spent on Delta Platinum cards, up to 4 bonuses each (Status Boost).  You need 25k for Silver, 50k for Gold, 75k for Platinum, or 125k for Diamond.  For Delta flights you will always earn a minimum of 500 MQMs, or 750 MQMs in First Class with the 50% bonus, even when the flight is shorter than 500 miles.  Any MQMs earned over the status that you get rolls over to the next year as long as you are at least Silver.

MQSs are actual number of flight segments flown.  Very simple - JFK-LAX is one segment, JFK-ATL-LAX would be two segments.  You need 30 for Silver, 60 for Gold, 100 for Platinum, or 140 for Diamond.  People who fly short distances (say LAX-SFO or BOS-JFK weekly) often qualify this way instead of on distance flown.

So that is the A or B that you have to complete one of.  As you can see, I more than qualified for Platinum based on MQMs, but barely hit Silver for MQSs.  But the higher one wins out.

--

Next up MQDs.  For Delta this is really easy.  Whatever you paid for your ticket pre-tax is what you earn for MDQs.  Where things get interesting is that when you fly on Delta partners, you instead earn MQDs based on a percentage of the MQMs earned.  I did not spend $6648 pre-tax on airfare last year, but I did have a business class flight on Aeromexico, a premium cabin round-trip on Virgin Atlantic, and two segments on KLM.  On long business class flights on cheap tickets this is HUGE.  I earned 40% of the mileage flown on Aeromexico and 30% of mileage flown on Virgin Atlantic, so that was MUCH more than I would have earned based on ticket prices.  On the other hand, those two KLM segments were economy London to Amsterdam and Amsterdam to Brussels, so very short flights where I earned Discounted Economy rate of 10% of miles flown so not much at all.  You need $3k for Silver, $6k for Gold, $9k for Platinum, or $15k for Diamond.

Card Spend up above is the MQD Waiver.  As of today Gold SkyMiles card is no longer eligible, but if you have Platinum SkyMiles or Delta Reserve, spending more than $25k in a calendar year will waive the MQD requirements for Silver, Gold, or Platinum.  You need to spend $250k in a calendar year to get a waiver for Diamond.  I spent just over $33k last year between Reserve and my business Platinum SkyMiles card and got the waiver for Platinum, otherwise I would have only been Gold.  Spending on SkyMiles Blue and SkyMiles Gold still counts toward this as long as you have the Platinum or Reserve as well.

Those who do not have mailing addresses in the US are exempt from MQD or MQD Waiver requirements, and can earn status based solely on MQMs or MQSs.

I think that covers it!

Message 95 of 169
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Those are some nice SUBS, too bad I'm ineligible. 

Which probbaly is a good thing, trying to get out of that system not get sucked back in. lol

They are, but it's new that part of them are now granted on renewal instead.  I'm surprised since usually there is a lull between Amex giving huge referral offers (which ended yesterday) and giving huge public offerings.  While the offers are a little higher than the referral offers that ended yesterday, the annual fees are also higher as of today so it probably balances out.  The 20k MQMs on Reserve is insane though!  $60k of spend on Reserve with that bonus is enough to get Gold Medallion (and SkyTeam Elite Plus, the highest in the alliance) without ever stepping foot on a plane.

Message 96 of 169
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Revelate I should have mentioned also that if you are thinking about switching to SkyTeam, you can status match Southwest A-List to Delta Silver (A-List Preferred to Gold) here: https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles/medallion-program/status-match-challenge

For Silver Medallion, you'd just need to rack up 6250 MQMs or 8 MQSs, and $750 MQDs or MQD Waiver in 3 months.  I was targeted for complimentary Gold Medallion in late 2018 when Boston became a focus city (it soon became a full hub) and the challenge was pretty easy to meet and paid off in droves during 2019.

Edit: For reference, a same-day Clase Premiere (First Class) $400-500 round-trip from LAX to MEX on Aeromexico would land you about 7,026 MQMs and 2,810 MQDs.  Done in one day!  Not all partners will count toward the status challenge, but for Delta usually Aeromexico, Air France, KLM, and Virgin Atlantic will.

Message 97 of 169
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grr. How do you get rid of this? How long. I haven’t even abused the system, cancelled cards before renewal or manufactured spend. Credit is good.

https://ibb.co/2tPdC30
Message 98 of 169
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

How many American Express cards have you opened and closed in the past few years?  How long were they kept open?

There's no set time limit; you'll just have to keep checking back.

Message 99 of 169
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

How many American Express cards have you opened and closed in the past few years?  How long were they kept open?

There's no set time limit; you'll just have to keep checking back.

And did they get much spend after you earned the SUBs?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 100 of 169
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.