Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

tag
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

3x on dining is nice, though a lot of people with an AF UR card already pay for a dining category. I already have better dining cards, even with no FTF.

I don't MS, so not much interest in a drugstore category. I hate drugstores. Long lines, limited selection, and price gouging. I'll go with Costco, Walmart, or waiting 36 hours for Amazon.

BofA's online shpping category is pretty broad. Going the Preferred Rewards route is also an option.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 11 of 473
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

Interesting...

If you have the CSP, you get 2x on dining and travel. With the FU, you'll get 3x on dining and 5x on travel via Chase Ultimate Rewards. Granted the CSP gives free Doordash Pass, but that doesn't offset the higher value in the FU on dining. If the Freedom cards are changing, watch the Sapphire cards since they will need to add value. The FU cash back can be turned into UR on a 1:1 basis, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a change on the CSP and CSR if the FU is changing, especially if travel is going to be in the shape it's in now for the next year or two. 

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 12 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This sounds too good to be true. Would make the Freedom Flex (I really don't like that name) one of the most valuable cards around. There's gotta be some kind of nerfing coming...

True that this sounds too good to be true. But I think it's true Smiley Happy

For the past 2 years I have been completely satisfied with my present roster of rewards cards, and had decided that I wasn't going to add any. A year or two ago I even had an in-branch prequalification for the Freedom, but didn't bite.

But this news definitely has me thinking.  If a prequalification came along now, I don't think I'd be able to resist.

I mean I would go for it if they pop an offer on Credit Journey but I'm still I-don't-know-how-many/24 and won't be 4/24 until 10/2021 so it's probably a moot point for me anyway. 

One casualty of this change is in-store usage at Costco. 

I had my eyes on the OG Freedom for quite some time now so the new benefits are just a bonus on a card I already wanted. 

Message 13 of 473
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

While interesting, I am now scared that UR ecosystem will be nerfed heavily, or some other catch. Hopefully they come out with it soon if so.
Message 14 of 473
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

5% CB on travel portal is also a big game changer.

Right now I'm putting non-Hyatt travel spend on my AMEX Green for the 3x MR. At 5x UR I'd feel fairly compelled to spend through the UR travel portal because that is like 10% at 2.0 ccp per UR.

That would be about the same as AMEX Green at 3x MR and then another 3x airplane miles through a shopping portal.

Right now this is the best airline mile offerings from the third party travel portals.

Booking.com 4x miles (American Airlines)

Expedia.com 2x miles (United Airlines)

Hotels.com 2x miles (British Airways)

Given that Booking.com tends to have higher prices and that is only for AA it probably does make sense just to do the CFU or CFF and get an easy 10% value. That is assuming if the points will continue to be transferrable to a CSP which I think it will so they can make consumers pick up all of the cards. CSP however might become a different card with a gas benefit or something.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 15 of 473
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This sounds too good to be true. Would make the Freedom Flex (I really don't like that name) one of the most valuable cards around. There's gotta be some kind of nerfing coming...

For the past 2 years I have been completely satisfied with my present roster of rewards cards, and had decided that I wasn't going to add any. A year or two ago I even had an in-branch prequalification for the Freedom, but didn't bite.

But this news definitely has me thinking.  If a prequalification came along now, I don't think I'd be able to resist.

The CFU is getting the same benefits. So if the rotating categories don't make sense to you, still, as they don't for me. Then the CFU may be a better option.

|  
Message 16 of 473
ccquest
Established Contributor

Sounds like a nice upgrade and kinda goes after the Propel (3% dining, travel, gas) and Altitude Go (4% dining) to an extent.

Like everyone else, wonder what sort of implications the change to Mastercard will have down the line.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 17 of 473
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@MyFault wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The CFU is getting the same benefits. So if the rotating categories don't make sense to you, still, as they don't for me. Then the CFU may be a better option.

I probably would go for the CFU over the CFF; I don't like to waste my few remaining brain cells on remembering fluctuating categories.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 18 of 473
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I was getting ready to roll my CFU into CF. I'll have to reconsider options. The 3% on dining is becoming the norm, I now have Saver One, Verizon, AOD, Apple, and promo on Amazon.

I'm going to have to rethink card spend.

Message 19 of 473
SecretAzure
Valued Contributor

A couple of things we can summize regarding Freedom Flex:

1. Dining will no longer be a rotating category
  2. Ordering through Postmates may be the most profittable way to earn points while ordering in.
    1. Freedom Flex has 3% back on dining and an added benefit of MC World Elite is:

$5 off every purchase of $25 or more (not including delivery fees, tips and taxes). Postmates provides on-demand delivery from hundreds of thousands of restaurants and stores across the US.5

This is kind of interesting but it makes me kind of sad because dining is one of my bigger spend categories and I liked having 3% on my Marvel card and 5% during that quarter under Freedom. Now my Marvel card is basically getting SD'd except for a couple recurring entertaining purchases I have on it. 

"Show your thanks with action! Hit the "Kudos" button (the stripe with the star) for every post you find helpful to show your appreciation to the community of great individuals who help you on these forums" -Me

Active Cards: Chevron Texaco, Amex BCE, Barclays Ring, Chase Freedom, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Best Buy Visa, Marvel MCMust garden until 2/1/2022 to hit my goal AAOA. Smiley Indifferent
Message 20 of 473
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.