Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

I agree with @Anonymous that a nerf is probably coming. The earn rates seem very generous and obviously the earn rates will be as listed but my guess is a nerf on the redemption side of things. I'm really thinking they will remove ability to transfer Freedom points to premium cards/partners. They always advertise Freedom as a cash back product anyway. otherwise with these changes the Sapphire cards make less sense. So I'm thinking there will be some type of nerf on redemption for the no AF cards. 

Message 21 of 473
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

5% CB on travel portal is also a big game changer.

Given that Booking.com tends to have higher prices and that is only for AA it probably does make sense just to do the CFU or CFF and get an easy 10% value. That is assuming if the points will continue to be transferrable to a CSP which I think it will so they can make consumers pick up all of the cards. CSP however might become a different card with a gas benefit or something.

Note that CFF/CF won't get travel insurance and will still charge 3% international transaction fees. so this doesn't necessarily make them ideal travel cards. If you're staying in the USA and don't care about baggage or delay protection, or hotel chain elite benefits...

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 22 of 473
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

My first thought was that warehouse clubs are getting a bit nerfed if they continue that as a 5% category with the switch to MasterCard.  Does that leave anything other than BJ's or Sam's Club?

So domestic dining will earn more on no-AF cards than CSP and the same as CSR?   And travel purchases through the UR portal will earn more than CSP or CSR?  Those seem like strange moves.

I really hope no changes end up happening with points transfers to CSR.  I can justify keeping my CSR without points transfers, but none of these changes are actually helpful to me.  I earn more net on Amex Travel purchases or direct airline purchases with Platinum, I earn more with dining on Amex Gold, I earn the same or better at drugstores with Rakuten Visa (online) or USB AR (in-person), and I'm getting 10x on Lyft through CSR.

So, for many people CSP and CSR (if anything happens to transfers) will really only make sense for non-portal travel charges and foreign transactions (including dining).

Without a CSP or CSR, I guess they definitely became better cards for many people, but it certainly puts the AF cards in a weird spot.

Since I have both Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, I'll elect to keep my Freedom a Freedom rather than a Freedom Flex.  I foresee many posts ahead with "I got alerted about a new account" with the Visa to MasterCard account number changes (although no reason to think they would do anything but replace the existing account).

Message 23 of 473
sladesurfer
Regular Contributor

"If I’m reading right, if you already have both Freedom and Freedom Unlimited there’s no benefit to request changing the Freedom to Freedom Flex as the FU will have all the same new benefits. Might as well hold onto Freedom and hope for a good FF signup bonus? Unless you want MasterCard benefits I suppose, but if you have a MC otherwise it still seems to make sense to keep vanilla Freedom."

PenFed Power Cash Rewards
Penfed Gold
NFCU Amex More Rewards
NFCU Cash Rewards
NFCU Flagship
Goldman Sachs Apple Card
Chase IHG Rewards Club Card
Chase Freedom Flex
Chase Freedom Unlimited
Amex Business Prime Card
Amex Marriott Brilliant Card
Amex Hilton Aspire Card
Amex Charles Schwab Platinum
Amex Gold Card
US Bank Cash+ card
Discover It Card
Capital One Quicksilver Card
Citi Double Cash
Citi Premier
Message 24 of 473
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I agree with @Anonymous that a nerf is probably coming. The earn rates seem very generous and obviously the earn rates will be as listed but my guess is a nerf on the redemption side of things. I'm really thinking they will remove ability to transfer Freedom points to premium cards/partners. They always advertise Freedom as a cash back product anyway. otherwise with these changes the Sapphire cards make less sense. So I'm thinking there will be some type of nerf on redemption for the no AF cards. 

The thing is that Chase has already committed to buying a bunch of BA Avios, Southwest RR points, Hyatt WoH points, etc. The whole deal is banks buy this stuff cheap from the travel provider and send it to their customers. Airlines and hotels get cash (and have future obligations on their books, but it gives them cashflow during COVID), but Chase doesn't have to send their customers cash.

So nerfing transfer partners where Chase might be able to buy the points for less than a penny a point (banks get good deals on this because they're giving airlines multi-million dollar checks) so they can send a penny a point to their customers is kind of 100% backwards.

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 25 of 473
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

My first thought was that warehouse clubs are getting a bit nerfed if they continue that as a 5% category with the switch to MasterCard.  Does that leave anything other than BJ's or Sam's Club?

So domestic dining will earn more on no-AF cards than CSP and the same as CSR?   And travel purchases through the UR portal will earn more than CSP or CSR?  Those seem like strange moves.

I really hope no changes end up happening with points transfers to CSR.  I can justify keeping my CSR without points transfers, but none of these changes are actually helpful to me.  I earn more net on Amex Travel purchases or direct airline purchases with Platinum, I earn more with dining on Amex Gold, I earn the same or better at drugstores with Rakuten Visa (online) or USB AR (in-person), and I'm getting 10x on Lyft through CSR.

So, for many people CSP and CSR (if anything happens to transfers) will really only make sense for non-portal travel charges and foreign transactions (including dining).

Without a CSP or CSR, I guess they definitely became better cards for many people, but it certainly puts the AF cards in a weird spot.

Since I have both Freedom and Freedom Unlimited, I'll elect to keep my Freedom a Freedom rather than a Freedom Flex.  I foresee many posts ahead with "I got alerted about a new account" with the Visa to MasterCard account number changes (although no reason to think they would do anything but replace the existing account).

A lot of what I was thinking. While they've done great with keeping cards useful during COVID. There going to have to show value of a $550 AF on CSR.

Message 26 of 473
calyx
Super Contributor

It seems like a no-brainer to downgrade my CSP now, because with my distinct lack of travel and thinking of switching from SW to Delta when I do resume.  CSP has gotten very little use with only my VERY scant dining on it... and that can go on the Freedom/Flex when that switches on.

Does the no-AF Sapphire still exist?   I don't necessarily want to close the tradeline, but Chase doesn't have anything I'm interested in at this point.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 27 of 473
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Freedom Flex is really a new card, and new Freedom cards are being discontinued.

A PC is required to change to the new card with it's new benefits for Freedom. CFU gets them as is.

I  have CSP/CF/CFU right now, and will keep those.

I might add Freedom Flex as a new card, because SUB and double dip quarterly category.

Message 28 of 473
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@calyx wrote:

It seems like a no-brainer to downgrade my CSP now, because with my distinct lack of travel and thinking of switching from SW to Delta when I do resume.  CSP has gotten very little use with only my VERY scant dining on it... and that can go on the Freedom/Flex when that switches on.

Does the no-AF Sapphire still exist?   I don't necessarily want to close the tradeline, but Chase doesn't have anything I'm interested in at this point.

No new apps on basic Sapphire, but downgrade still available.

Message 29 of 473
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@calyx wrote:

Yeah, right now you are paying $95 so you can transfer points and get travel/rental insurance. I'll keep mine so I have a way to transfer points, but it that goes - then buh-bye CSP. Sapphire still there only as a PC, to answer your question, but it can't transfer points.

Message 30 of 473
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.