Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

tag
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

Re: Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

I just got my FU a couple of weeks ago, and 5% grocery + 3% takeout + 3% pharmacy = 1 useful card, since those are about the only places I go right now. Smiley Very Happy

Message 31 of 473
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@calyx wrote:

It seems like a no-brainer to downgrade my CSP now, because with my distinct lack of travel and thinking of switching from SW to Delta when I do resume.  CSP has gotten very little use with only my VERY scant dining on it... and that can go on the Freedom/Flex when that switches on.

Does the no-AF Sapphire still exist?   I don't necessarily want to close the tradeline, but Chase doesn't have anything I'm interested in at this point.

Chase Sapphire does still exist, but you don't get much by having it other than a placeholder.  In the continuing adventures of general purpose card earning more than a travel card with an annual fee, buying your Delta tickets through the UR portal would net you 5% back on a no-AF card vs 2.5% back (2x + 25% bonus redeemed for travel) on CSP, an annual fee card in the same ecosystem.  And  keeping a CSP would be 6.25% vs 2.5% - or 7.5% vs 4.5% for CSR.  😐

Message 32 of 473
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@kilroy8 wrote:

I might add Freedom Flex as a new card, because SUB and double dip quarterly category.

Which raises an interesting question, will the CFF and CF have the same quarterly categories?   Presumably easier for Chase to do so, but....

Message 33 of 473
calyx
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@calyx wrote:

It seems like a no-brainer to downgrade my CSP now, because with my distinct lack of travel and thinking of switching from SW to Delta when I do resume.  CSP has gotten very little use with only my VERY scant dining on it... and that can go on the Freedom/Flex when that switches on.

Does the no-AF Sapphire still exist?   I don't necessarily want to close the tradeline, but Chase doesn't have anything I'm interested in at this point.

Chase Sapphire does still exist, but you don't get much by having it other than a placeholder.  In the continuing adventures of general purpose card earning more than a travel card with an annual fee, buying your Delta tickets through the UR portal would net you 5% back on a no-AF card vs 2.5% back (2x + 25% bonus redeemed for travel) on CSP, an annual fee card in the same ecosystem.  And  keeping a CSP would be 6.25% vs 2.5% - or 7.5% vs 4.5% for CSR.  😐

Luckily(?!) I blew through most of my points in March for my ill-fated Rodeo trip to Houston in March, so the majority (all but 2200) of my points are on my Freedom, and I can catback those. 

I was thinking of switching to AMEX for travel as Delta/Hilton seem to be how my future could be shaping up (plus there's SUB funtimes).  I figured I'd save myself the $95 in the meantime, as I can always upgrade it back later if I need to use it if/when travel resumes.   I wouldn't need to worry much about the 5/24 either (and I'm just 18 months into the 48 month bonus wait, so that's not something on my radar).  

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 34 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been very dissatified with Chase Freedom because of quarterly categories which are increasingly irrelevant to my lifestyle.

The new Chase Freedom "Flex" breathes new life (for me) into the card. I can definitely use dining and drug stores.

I hope that Chase will let me product-trade to the "Flex" since we are now crossing from the Visa world to the Mastercard world. My wife has Costco Visa, so that we can still use that at Costco.

Also, my wife and I have "history" back to 2002 on Freedom, and it is a "joint" account. I assume that those will carry over; if not, it is a "game killer."

With these new categories, I considered converting to the FU, but the 1.5% edp is useless since I have Citi DC for 2%.

Still, I can't complain. 3% on dining and drug stores alone make this Flex a worthwhile card (for me).

Message 35 of 473
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Straight freedom still had secondary rental insurance  if I remeber correctly.... Could be what they are nerfing...

-J 

Message 36 of 473
Andypanda
Established Contributor

Major changes to chase freedom

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/major-chase-freedom-revamp-mastercard-freedom-flex-freedom-unlimited-...

i was thinking of fetting the card when i was under 5/24, but with it changing to a mc, the gas quarter would be almost useless since i fill up at Costco.

Message 37 of 473
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@ccquest wrote:
Sounds like a nice upgrade and kinda goes after the Propel (3% dining, travel, gas) and Altitude Go (4% dining) to an extent.

Like everyone else, wonder what sort of implications the change to Mastercard will have down the line.

For the gas quarter, it would effect me (if i had the card, I'm at lol/24) since i fill up at Costco.

Message 38 of 473
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From Doctor of Credit:

Major Chase Freedom Revamp: Mastercard ‘Freedom Flex’ & Freedom Unlimited Will Earn 3% Dining & Drugstores, 5% Travel Bookings 

• Freedom:
    • 5% on Quarterly Categories 
    • 5% on Travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards
    • 3% on Dining 
    • 3% on Drugstore 
    • 5% on Lyft through March 2022
    • 1% unlimited cash back 
  • Freedom Unlimited: 

Also, according to Doctor of Credit, existing card members will have the options to either keep the old Freedom card or PC to the Freedom Flex.

As someone who eats out quite frequently, this is a very nice change.

However, to not bury the lead, it effectively neuters the BoA Cash Rewards (at least for me). The 3% Dining and 3% on Drugstores were the only reasons I used it and I rent so I have little use for the Home Improvement category. I guess it's still ok for 3% online shopping, but I don't do a ton of that either

Bank of America has already been on thin ice with me because they won't give me a CLI. So I hope they have an answer to this, or else it's going to be permanently sock drawered. 

lol @ Neutered 😄

Message 39 of 473
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

...now if they could get rid of their 5/24 rule I would be in for a Freedom Flex card Smiley Very Happy

If they got rid of 5/24 id be Amazoning and getting siggy wit it!😁

Message 40 of 473
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.