Did you mean: 

Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@calyx wrote:

It seems like a no-brainer to downgrade my CSP now, because with my distinct lack of travel and thinking of switching from SW to Delta when I do resume.  CSP has gotten very little use with only my VERY scant dining on it... and that can go on the Freedom/Flex when that switches on.

Does the no-AF Sapphire still exist?   I don't necessarily want to close the tradeline, but Chase doesn't have anything I'm interested in at this point.

Chase Sapphire does still exist, but you don't get much by having it other than a placeholder.  In the continuing adventures of general purpose card earning more than a travel card with an annual fee, buying your Delta tickets through the UR portal would net you 5% back on a no-AF card vs 2.5% back (2x + 25% bonus redeemed for travel) on CSP, an annual fee card in the same ecosystem.  And  keeping a CSP would be 6.25% vs 2.5% - or 7.5% vs 4.5% for CSR.  😐

Yes, that is what I PC'd my CSP to to avoid the AF until things get back to normal. While $95 isn't much, I still have Amex Gold and others to contend with. And planned to upgrade back to CSP later on. However, with the FU changes I might just go to that instead! So they must plan to improve the CSP later on because you can have a non AF product offering better rewards than the AF one. If CSP goes to 4% on dining it will seriously make me reconsider keeping Amex Gold. Though I suspect any changes to teh CSP will rwsult in a higher AF.

I was seriously considering the Freedom with the surrent 5% right now, so I wonder if the exiting offer will remain or change slightly? I don't know whether to app now or wait. lol   Would be nice to have that $800 Cell Phone coverage though, current one is only 600.

That said, I don't really need yet another dining card and also don't buy drugstores.

Message 41 of 473
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

CSP still gets 1.25 multiple through travel portal, and can transfer points. You still need it if those things have value to you.

Message 42 of 473
Andypanda
Established Contributor

@Wavester64 wrote:

...now if they could get rid of their 5/24 rule I would be in for a Freedom Flex card Smiley Very Happy

I would love to see an end to 5/24 also, but highly doubt it will happen.

Message 43 of 473
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Andypanda wrote:

@Wavester64 wrote:

...now if they could get rid of their 5/24 rule I would be in for a Freedom Flex card Smiley Very Happy

I would love to see an end to 5/24 also, but highly doubt it will happen.

The 24 goes quicker than you think. I haven't had new card account  in over 27 months, and don't see myself being close to 5/24 ever again.

Message 44 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the CF/CSP camp and I guess I will need to play the waiting game.  I was starting to use CF for recurring monthly expenses (starting in September ironically) and I did a CL reallocation CF -> CSP last year.  The CF is not setup for travel/dinning right now.  If the UR points transfer stops, I may do CSP->CFF and CF->CFU (or vice versa).  Right now I'm just confused.  The CSP is almost (1.25 UR) completely useless.

I also have a question. The UR travel portal previously did not accept Freedom as a payment method.  Will this change because it is a MC or will Chase change some internal settings?

Message 45 of 473
ToxikPH
Established Contributor

I'm really hoping this leads to a reaction from Amex or Citi, 5% back on portal travel and 3% on dining with no AF really combats the green card and premier so it'll be interesting to see if any changes come from them.

Message 46 of 473
sxa001
Valued Contributor

I am constatly evaluating my credit card profile to make it work best for me, and while I am not going to be making any changes until at least 3 months after we close on a house (so could easly be April/May 2021 at this point) I will say this change makes me wonder about the CSP's long term place in my lineup.  This will be the first year in 5 years that I will be earing less than the AF and will lose money on this card.   If they don't revamp the CSP to be more competitive against these no AF cards it may very well go and be replacemed with a Freedom.  Since WEMC has the trip insurance and other features it does make it competitive with the CSP.  

Message 47 of 473
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Major changes to chase freedom

@Andypanda, Thanks for posting. Interesting changes.

Wonder why Chase has not sent an email about this?

Message 48 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll second @K-in-Boston that this puts the CSR in a really weird position. Since the Freedoms have a lot of redundancy with the CSR, you'd have to think there is some sort of changes coming to the CSR/CSP too, yes? 

Message 49 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Major changes to chase freedom

Thanks @Andypanda for the new information!

As another poster mentioned, I wonder why Chase doesn't tell us customers?!
Message 50 of 473
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.