Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

I'm really liking how the Freedom Unlimited now has its own categories but also earns 1.5%/1.5 points on non category purchases. With dining being one of those categories and the current grocery bonus, it would replace most of the cards in my wallet at this time.

I have to debate whether I want to open a new card now. I'd be interested to see what they do with the Sapphire cards though too, as when travel gets more normal, a lot of the value I'd get out of the Unlimited would be pooling points. Decisions decisions. 

Message 61 of 473
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I don't know what is driving the changes but maybe Chase feels they had Mastercard in a corner and could work out a good earning rate. Also the thought might be if consumer spending is down they don't have to worry as much about people taking too much of an advantage on the earning rates.

With Flex able to SD my Citi AAdvantage card WMCE benefits that were earning me airline miles instead of more valuable UR. I'm PCing the Citi Aadvantage to a Rewards+ once my year is up. Hyatt goes to the sock drawer as well outside of Hyatt purchases.

They might nerf the 1.25 redemption on the CSP. Either you go with the CSP just to have transfer partners or you are forced to load up with a CSR. The 5% of the CFF/CFU on travel redeptions is better than the 1.5 ccp on CSR (However you have more limited sources for earning it).         

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 62 of 473
blindambition
Senior Contributor

I wonder if switching CF to CFF would effectively end the Door Dash Pass promo. 3 free months and 9 months with 50% discount. Since card switches to MC.

Message 63 of 473
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

I wonder if switching CF to CFF would effectively end the Door Dash Pass promo. 3 free months and 9 months with 50% discount. Since card switches to MC.

The Chase marketing page about the change lists the Door Dash deal as one of the CF Flex perks: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom/comingsoon

Message 64 of 473
Credit12Fico
Established Contributor

So....Does product changing with Chase trigger a soft pull or some kind of account review? Is it possible for Chase to deny the product change? I don't want them looking at my Amazon spend this quarter lmao....It looks like bust out....I promise it's not. I just wasn't using the card until the Amazon 5% quarter Smiley Happy .  But 3% dining changes everything for me. I'd use the card regularly since I don't really have a dining card yet and this saves me opening a new account.

Message 65 of 473
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Slabenstein wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

The Chase marketing page about the change lists the Door Dash deal as one of the CF Flex perks: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/freedom/comingsoon

Thanks, but I only see that as a benefit to new applicants.

I'm wondering for those already enrolled and considering PC.

Message 66 of 473
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Chase hasn't thought through the timing of their announcements very well.  They should have announced the changes to the Sapphire cards today.  Knowing the Sapphire changes is far more time critical than knowing the Freedom changes.  Here's why:

The largest single group of CSR cardholders are those of us who signed up for the 100,000 point bonus in August 2016.  All of our renewals will happen tomorrow (September 1).  We'll log into our online accounts with our morning coffee and we'll see the large annual fee that will have posted overnight.  I was planning to then pick up the phone and ask Chase to downgrade my CSR to either the CS or the CFU.  Now I may wait a week or two to see if Chase announces a revamp of the CSR and CSP.  If they're going to do a CSR/CSP revamp, they need to do it quickly, because I'm not paying that large annual fee without knowing what the card's benefits will be over the next twelve months.  

The changes to the CF and CFU are interesting, but they don't do much for me.  I refuse to book flights through Expedia (because of numerous bad experiences over the years), so that means I won't use the Chase Travel portal.  I don't like online travel agencies in general.  I prefer the Amex Platinum's giving 5% for booking directly with the airline.  I already have multiple cards that give me 3% on dining, so I don't need that benefit.  The 3% at drugstores is nice, but I simply don't spend enough at drugstores to make it count for much.  Why didn't they add a groceries category?  That's the category everybody wants.  And it remains to be seen whether the CF's quarterly 5% categories will continue to include robust combinations of  gas, groceries, internet, cell phone, and other everyday expenses -- and whether the points can be combined with the CSR and CSP.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 67 of 473
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Credit12Fico wrote:

So....Does product changing with Chase trigger a soft pull or some kind of account review? Is it possible for Chase to deny the product change? I don't want them looking at my Amazon spend this quarter lmao....It looks like bust out....I promise it's not. I just wasn't using the card until the Amazon 5% quarter Smiley Happy .  But 3% dining changes everything for me. I'd use the card regularly since I don't really have a dining card yet and this saves me opening a new account.

It's a quick call or message. Account in good standing. No pull.

Message 68 of 473
TSlop
Valued Contributor

Very interesting... I just completed my Trifecta in July, so I am going to enjoy using my CFU on dining when it is not a rotator on my Discover and CF/CFF. I'm looking forward to seeing some upgrades to the Sapphire line to compensate for this change, but I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

Message 69 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase was due for new offerings or PC existing cards. My CF was waiting for it. These will be better cards. 

There will be a catch. My guess is:

• The 5% categories will be narrow. Ones that will be difficult to get $1,500 spend per quarter. Cell phone, cable, gas, gaming, etc.
  • The 5% on travel though UR will see inflated point requirements. So it won't be truly 5%.

I could be wrong, but we'll see. 

Still an improvement though.

Message 70 of 473
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.