Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

My guess is they will make a limited edition (say Rose Gold) version of the CSR, change the annual fee to $650, nerf some benefits and it will be very successful

Message 81 of 473
AdamC
Valued Member

Sorry if this had been asked in past 8 pages, but I'm curious about the (almost footnote) of MC and cell phone protection. I have some WE and World MC's, but have always been suspicious of this supposed cell phone protection. Has anyone actually used it? I put applecare on my apple card, which is (I think a regular MC) because I simply don't trust MC to just replace my phone if it has a defect or cracked screen.

Is the idea that if I just pay my cell phone bill with say my Citi TYP World MC, or Citi DC World Elite, that I don't need ANY cell phone protection?

Thanks for any input. 

Sapphire Preferred/Freedom/Freedom Unlimited, DoubleCash/ThankYou Preferred, Blue Cash Everyday, It, Quicksilver, Apple, Signature Connect, and a few store cards
Message 82 of 473
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@AdamC wrote:

Sorry if this had been asked in past 8 pages, but I'm curious about the (almost footnote) of MC and cell phone protection. I have some WE and World MC's, but have always been suspicious of this supposed cell phone protection. Has anyone actually used it? I put applecare on my apple card, which is (I think a regular MC) because I simply don't trust MC to just replace my phone if it has a defect or cracked screen.

Is the idea that if I just pay my cell phone bill with say my Citi TYP World MC, or Citi DC World Elite, that I don't need ANY cell phone protection?

Thanks for any input. 

The Citi DC doesn't have cell phone protection (and I assume TYP doesn't either).   It's something the issuers can opt in to, and Citi didn't at least on the DC.    But for those cards that do have it, yes, you shouldn't need protection providing the limit is enough.  (Some cards offer $250 which is probably not enough for many phones these days).

That said, as with any coverage, there will be exclusions and the insurance company may be easy or hard to deal with.

Message 83 of 473
AdamC
Valued Member

Thanks @longtimelurker I appreciate the reply. I have never really kept cell phone coverage, I've never had any issue with either loss or damage (I suppose I don't like to take selfies standing on the edge of a pool with a bottle of champaigne etc) but I did buy applecare instead of Sprint's protection when I decided to go up to the iPhone 11 Pro early this year. I will just stick with the coverage. I just trust applecare - I've dealt with them before when it came to mac defects before, so it's no big deal.

I don't think I currently have another MC world or WE card in my stockpile at the moment anyways, however I do have a Freedom Visa.

*edit* Plus, it's my only recurring charge on the Apple card at the moment.

Sapphire Preferred/Freedom/Freedom Unlimited, DoubleCash/ThankYou Preferred, Blue Cash Everyday, It, Quicksilver, Apple, Signature Connect, and a few store cards
Message 84 of 473
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Could 2020 get any stranger???  Chase is now pitting their own no AF cards against its own AF offerings? scratch.gif 

As a Trifecta holder, I'm cautiously optimistic that Chase is not going to do much nerfing (if at all), and is simply looking to lure savvy credit card users from other lenders. I'm certain there's PLENTY of people out there ticked off at Cap One right now with them doing a massive CL reduction across its card holders.  Keep in mind that the holiday spending season is just around the corner as well. Those that have qualified for the AF Venture and Savor likely have a credit profile that would at the minimum get them in the door at Chase (sans 5/24) This is interesting timing for sure.

. Even if you just occasionally pull through the In N Out drive-thru, CFU now kills most every 1.5% card out there. If you're someone who has regular prescriptions, the 3% pharmacy will catch some attention as this isn't a heavily saturated category. (My BoA AAA Rewards normally was the card of choice here.) CFF now eclipses Discover once out of the first year by maintaining constant higher rewards on dining/pharma, not to mention higher acceptance as a MC. Then there's the hat trick in fixed categories with 5% at the travel portal. For those who don't travel enough to justify an AF card, this may be just the ticket. If Chase nixed the FTF on CFU/CFF, they would have a direct hit on Cap One.

What the future holds for the Sapphire cards is anyones guess. Chase has pinned themselves in a corner here and obviously has to have something up there sleeve regarding keeping Sapphire relevant as an AF card. CSP has been my go to gas station card lately (when I'm not at Exxon getting 10% back on Amex SC+). Dining will obviously be shifted to CFU from CSP after the 13th.

As far as eliminating transferring UR between card products, I don't see it as likely. Chase could have simply come up with a different name for the CFF points system if they wanted to hint at this, but they clearly call CFF a UR point earning card. I don't see the card network being an issue as it's still a core Chase card in the same point system. Will they nerf point value? I'm hoping not... This just doesn't have that feel to me. As I said earlier, I see this as Chase looking to increase the amount of people holding and using their core cards. Chase is certainly in a better place financially than a lot of issuers and can afford to sweeten the pot to grab marketshare. Remember also that once these new cardholders are signing into their Chase page for card info and payments, Chase can now tempt them into other banking products from car loans to checking accounts. I think there's more strategy to this than most are giving credit for.

For me, I'm just going to sit back and watch how things turn out before making any changes to my Freedom. CFU covers all the new bennies, and if the 5% categories for CF/CFF are identical, I don't see much point to changing. My CSP AF doesn't hit until next March, so I have plenty of time to see hat happens there.

Message 85 of 473
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@AdamC wrote:

Thanks for any input. 

Many cell phone protection plans (from CCs, at least) do not cover cracks or defects if they do not hurt your ability to make calls and use the phone. Also, as @longtimelurker mentioned, the limit on coverage is often pretty low. I'd think of it as a supplement to possibly help you out in a bad situation with your phone but not really full coverage in most cases.

Message 86 of 473
NRB525
Super Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@AdamC wrote:

Thanks for any input. 

Many cell phone protection plans (from CCs, at least) do not cover cracks or defects if they do not hurt your ability to make calls and use the phone. Also, as @longtimelurker mentioned, the limit on coverage is often pretty low. I'd think of it as a supplement to possibly help you out in a bad situation with your phone but not really full coverage in most cases.

My iPhone is out of it's protective clear rubber case only in the rare moments that I might need to dust it with a lint-free cloth.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 87 of 473
NRB525
Super Contributor

@ChargedUp what is AMEX SC+ ?

I hope you are correct about no nerf of CSP/CSR.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 88 of 473
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Chase's trend has been nothing but increasing value with their cards, I do not anticipate them nerfing their cards or getting rid of the UR system for the CF/CFX.

Message 89 of 473
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:

Chase's trend has been nothing but increasing value with their cards, I do not anticipate them nerfing their cards or getting rid of the UR system for the CF/CFX.

Not sure that's true for all!   In the pandemic they have started adding value (back), but recall that just prior they increased the AF on CSR to $550, with additional benefits that many found not all that valuable.    So I wouldn't say it's been monotonically increasing value.

Message 90 of 473
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.