tag
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Re: Major Chase Freedom Revamp - Effective 9/15/20

@longtimelurker wrote:

I am still wondering why the different treatment of the CF and CFU

1) CFU: add benefits to existing card

2) Freedom: Create new card with same added benefits

I can see issuer reasons for doing either, but not clear why a uniform approach wasn't taken.

Perhaps as simple as they couldn't come up with a name for the enhanced CFU!

There was a point in time where the CFU was going to replace the CF all together.

Now the Freedom line is like the Sapphire line where its three cards; Sapphire, Sapphire Preferred, Sapphire Reserve

Freedom, Freedom Flex, Freedom Unlimited.

My 3% dine on CFU is already starting to post. Nice upgrade for me.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 421 of 473
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

My 3% dine on CFU is already starting to post. Nice upgrade for me.

Sweet!

It's funny, I upgraded my CSP to a CSR 2 weeks ago, largely (but not entirely) because I wanted the 3% Dining category. Then like 2 days later they gave my CFU a 3% dining category, so you guys can thank me later for triggering Murphy's Law for y'all Smiley LOL

It's kind of nice, though, that now I can use either card for dining and it makes no difference. So I don't have to whip out the CSR when I'm in a Compton taco bell.

Total Loan Balance: $43k / $65k

Total SL: $78k

United 1K - 725,000 lifetime flight miles    |    Chase Status: 4/24
Message 422 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: My 30 day message was changed to 7-10 business days today. I called customer service and was approved after providing identity verification for myself and my authorized user. This will definitely be my favorite card for a while to come.

Message 423 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bah, Keep looking at that freedom flex but with my thin profile and low income and lack of history seems like it would be a easy denial. Also no relationship with chase. Some suggested banking with them for awhile if I really wanted it which seems like a good idea.

Maybe I should just try anyways. Worst they can say is no and it's not a triple pull like CapOne and a denial (Yes, This happened to me) Not conerned about SL even $500 would be fine since I don't borrow and PIF each month. 

With that said they have sent me several freedom unlimited mailers with a solid APR so perhaps my profile isn't as bad as I think it is? Well under 5/24. 720s scores low util and a few months over a year of history here. 

Maybe someday i can get to others here and get approved for whatever i want Smiley Happy 

Message 424 of 473
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep looking at that freedom flex but with my thin profile and low income and lack of history seems like it would be a easy denial. Also no relationship with chase. Some suggested banking with them for awhile if I really wanted it which seems like a good idea.

Maybe I should just try anyways. Worst they can say is no. Not conerned about SL even $500 would be fine since I don't borrow and PIF each month. 

With that said they have sent me several freedom unlimited mailers with a solid APR so perhaps my profile isn't as bad as I think it is? Well under 5/24. 720s scores low util and a few months over a year of history here. 

Maybe someday i can get to others here and get approved for whatever i want Smiley Happy 

Honestly it sounds like you're fairly likely to be approved if you applied for it, especially since you mentioned getting solid-APR CFU mailers recently. With your young credit profile and lower income I wouldn't expect much SL, but I'd bet you get approved for something if you try. IF they deny you then you can call the recon line and either talk them into approving you, or at least you'll get a clear answer on what you need to work on before applying again later.

A banking history certainly can help with Chase (it definitely helped in my case), but it would take years of banking history with them to make any difference, so there's not much point in switching banks just so you can get a freedom flex card. It would be faster and more effective to just focus on your credit profile and income. But like I said, I'd give you a solid 90% chance that they'd approve you today for a small line, maybe $500-$1500 (based on how you've described your situation, and not knowing your income)

Message 425 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep looking at that freedom flex but with my thin profile and low income and lack of history seems like it would be a easy denial. Also no relationship with chase. Some suggested banking with them for awhile if I really wanted it which seems like a good idea.

Maybe I should just try anyways. Worst they can say is no. Not conerned about SL even $500 would be fine since I don't borrow and PIF each month. 

Honestly it sounds like you're fairly likely to be approved if you applied for it, especially since you mentioned getting solid-APR CFU mailers recently. With your young credit profile and lower income I wouldn't expect much SL, but I'd bet you get approved for something if you try. IF they deny you then you can call the recon line and either talk them into approving you, or at least you'll get a clear answer on what you need to work on before applying again later.

A banking history certainly can help with Chase (it definitely helped in my case), but it would take years of banking history with them to make any difference, so there's not much point in switching banks just so you can get a freedom flex card. It would be faster and more effective to just focus on your credit profile and income. But like I said, I'd give you a solid 90% chance that they'd approve you today for a small line, maybe $500-$1500 (based on how you've described your situation, and not knowing your income)

Yeah, Perhaps I should try. High SL doesn't matter too much since I PIF in each month and i don't really care about the APR. My case is probably niche no?

Perhaps with a small SL and PIF in each month they'd give Auto CLIs seeing that i don't carry a balance...

Tho i posted another thread like to see what the deal is about the mobile wallet not working for others but perhaps it's resolved now? Seems chase was telling people the Freedom Flex isn't supported by Apple or Google pay. 

Message 426 of 473
coreysw12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, Perhaps I should try. High SL doesn't matter too much since I PIF in each month and i don't really care about the APR. My case is probably niche no?

Perhaps with a small SL and PIF in each month they'd give Auto CLIs seeing that i don't carry a balance...

Tho i posted another thread like to see what the deal is about the mobile wallet not working for others but perhaps it's resolved now? Seems chase was telling people the Freedom Flex isn't supported by Apple or Google pay. 

Chase can be unpredictable, but I think since your profile is over a year old and you've already got established credit card accounts with good usage and payment history, under 5/24, and haven't opened up a whole bunch of recent accounts, they'd probably be happy to give you a CFF card.

They might do Auto-CLI's after you PIF for a while, but that's also unpredictable and sometimes people go years without getting one. Most people increase their CL by just applying for another chase card later, and then shifting part of the new CL over to the older card. The other option is a hard-pull CLI request, of course.

I have no idea about the mobile wallet thing, but I do remember people saying it was fixed already, just a few hours after people were reporting the issue.

Message 427 of 473
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@coreysw12 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd say go for it. You might be denied but in the larger scheme of things, how severe is a denial to you and your family? Really, not at all. You could get approved and get the card on the other hand. 

Message 428 of 473
Boragard
Established Contributor

For some reason the name "Freedom flex" annoys me. 

Message 429 of 473
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

@Boragard wrote:

For some reason the name "Freedom flex" annoys me. 

Let's call it "Freedom Swole". Smiley Very Happy

Message 430 of 473
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.