Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making multiple payments on your CC's

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Making multiple payments on your CC's

I have read a few posts lately that state that making multiple payment on a CC (I assume before next statement cuts) is considered a bad thing to do. I have never really thought about it before. I don't do it often but I know I have done it before. What exactly is the reason that this is such a bad thing to do?  

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
34 REPLIES 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Making multiple payments on your CC's

@BluePoodle wrote:

I have read a few posts lately that state that making multiple payment on a CC (I assume before next statement cuts) is considered a bad thing to do. I have never really thought about it before. I don't do it often but I know I have done it before. What exactly is the reason that this is such a bad thing to do?  

Some issuers state that they don't want you to make more than so many payments per statement but I've never run into any problems doing 2-4 on any card.

Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BluePoodle wrote:

lolz, that's their fault.. You wouldn't make multiple payment if they only gave you a higher CL.

I usually do 2 payments a month. First payment before the statement close and leave a 1% bal to report to CB and payoff the 1% after the statement cuts and monthly bill generates.

Message 3 of 35
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

I would call the issuer to see if you can. I've read that Chase customers can do it without any problems. In fact, I may do that myself by Friday since my due date next month falls on the same day that I get paid and I don't want to forget to pay it. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 4 of 35
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

I make multiple payments on every single card I use every month...If it does any harm I can't tell. My scores are always in the 800 range.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've always made multiple payments on my cards. Back when I had very low limit on some I'd make 2-3 payments a week sometimes.
Message 6 of 35
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

I make multiple payments on every single card I use every month...If it does any harm I can't tell. My scores are always in the 800 range.

That's all I really need to know. I can make multiple payments on all of my cards. I've just never given it any thought really. It just seems some had an opinion that it was considered bad to keep good relations with CC companies for CLI and new apps. IDK why.  Oh well...just wondering.

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BluePoodle wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

That's all I really need to know. I can make multiple payments on all of my cards. I've just never given it any thought really. It just seems some had an opinion that it was considered bad to keep good relations with CC companies for CLI and new apps. IDK why.  Oh well...just wondering.

Just sayin.. If I was your bank, how can multiple payments be bad.. Keep em comin.. LOL

Message 8 of 35
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

I'm running an experiment with making multi payments in a month. The CL is $500 and the total spending is at $800. We made 2-3 payments already from the bank. The statement has not cut yet.

TU somehow found that and the FICO dropped by 38 points. 

I figure all CCs can differ. Pay attention to your utilization rate. 

Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

We do this on my wife's main credit card and our business card .  The business one also shows up under her credit also.  Her scores are over 770.  The business has a very high limit and was just raised .  I try to keep her under 10%.  I don't think it hurts  your score. 

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.