cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making sense of Capital1 Travel Points Redemption

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Valued Member

Making sense of Capital1 Travel Points Redemption

I am trying to make sense with this one or see if I get good values for this. So for the Capital Sparks Miles that earn 2x per $1 spend on every purchase. I am looking to purchase a flight ticket with their travel portal (capital one), it is quoted for $450 or 45,000 points. Is it true that I can assume that basically I am paying $225 ($450/2)? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Regular Contributor

Re: Making sense of Capital1 Travel Points Redemption

I think I understand what you’re asking?

Your math is off if you’re wanting to use solely points; you’d have to spend $22,500 in order to have the 45,000 miles.

If you’re not using points, you’re still paying $450, of which you’ll get 2x miles, giving you 900 miles, which is not equal to $225.

If I’ve misunderstood, I apologize. That’s just how I am interpreting it?

Message 2 of 4
Established Contributor

if you pay cash, yes, its 225/ticket.

if you pay with 45k points, no, you are not paying any cash.

Ⳏroſilē oſ ᥠ chԑap, ſrēqⴑēnt ſlyԑr ✈⛽⛾ ⳎroⳎel ✈⛾ ८s ⛾⬮ ᦑold ☎ q§ ⚕ ββⳎ
⛪ ▲G ┊ Ⲙileⴑp ┊८ſu ┊ ↇᏨ ┊ ēD ┊८∰ ⛎ ᐰmzn √/ᐰ ┊ wſ -√ ┊ iէ ⛪ Ɲĕхт: ➕ citiⳎrēm ┊ βoſᥠ ८R
Message 3 of 4
Mega Contributor

@Bbcatcher wrote:
I think I understand what you’re asking?

Your math is off if you’re wanting to use solely points; you’d have to spend $22,500 in order to have the 45,000 miles.

If you’re not using points, you’re still paying $450, of which you’ll get 2x miles, giving you 900 miles, which is not equal to $225.

If I’ve misunderstood, I apologize. That’s just how I am interpreting it?

Yes.   There are two things, earning and redemption.   Each point is worth 1c (hence 45K points for $450) and you get 2 points for each dollar spent.   But this doesn't mean that you are paying $225 for the ticket!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.