cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marathon CC to VISA...any information or feedback?

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Marathon CC to VISA...any information or feedback?

So, after 5 statements WFNB Marathon (gas credit card) hands me a phat CLI from $250 to $1,500. Now, I see their VISA card has some pretty nice rebates...and here in the Hoosier States, Marathon stations are EVERYWHERE.

Does anyone have any infomation on potential transitions from the normal gas card to VISA? I see an "offers" tab, but it usually just wants to sell me an affiliate product Smiley Very Happy

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Re: Marathon CC to VISA...any information or feedback?

@CreditCrusader wrote:

So, after 5 statements WFNB Marathon (gas credit card) hands me a phat CLI from $250 to $1,500. Now, I see their VISA card has some pretty nice rebates...and here in the Hoosier States, Marathon stations are EVERYWHERE.

Does anyone have any infomation on potential transitions from the normal gas card to VISA? I see an "offers" tab, but it usually just wants to sell me an affiliate product Smiley Very Happy

BumpitSmiley Happyty bump

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 2 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I have WFNNB's Marathon card and Bealls of Florida card.  I was not as lucky as you with my increase.  Mine went from $150 to $500 after 6 months.  I actually did not use the card for the first 2 or 3 months and maxed it out over Christmas.  No limit increase with the Bealls card yet, however, I did apply for the Marathon Visa card and got a $2500 limit to start with.  My Experian score is 667 from Credit Expert and my TransUnion Score is 677 from Credit Karma.  My transrisk score is 757.  If that helps in any way about considering to apply.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Visa card is no af. If wfnnb is underwriting, they are generous with approvals. No harm and calling on their pc policy.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 10
john398
Senior Contributor

I did not realize WFNNB offers a visa card but I see you can apply here http://www.marathonpetroleum.com/brand//Credit_Gift_Fuel_Cards/Marathon_Visa_Card/

Just no Marathon gas stations where I am in Texas

Message 5 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

I did not realize WFNNB offers a visa card but I see you can apply here http://www.marathonpetroleum.com/brand//Credit_Gift_Fuel_Cards/Marathon_Visa_Card/

Just no Marathon gas stations where I am in Texas

If you have a gas card for Texas and it is a WFNNB card, then see if they have a Visa to match it.  When I applied, they only did a soft pull I think, maybe because I have the gas card already.  I have credit monitoring and have got no alerts for it yet.  I did see a soft pull on the same day that I got approved. 

Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 6 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Wfnnb IMHO is rebuilder friendly institution. I think 630 fico for approvals and even lower on recon. Not sure on their visa. But they soft for some approvals. I remember getting offers online at checkout after I had one of their cards which did not generate hards.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 7 of 10
ontop
Regular Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

I did apply for the Marathon Visa card and got a $2500 limit to start with.

Hi Bernhardtra,

Was it an instant decision for that Marathon Visa card?

Thanks,

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 8 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@ontop wrote:

@bernhardtra wrote:

I did apply for the Marathon Visa card and got a $2500 limit to start with.

Hi Bernhardtra,

Was it an instant decision for that Marathon Visa card?

Thanks,

No it was a wait and see, so I called and reconned it right away.  It was a nice limit though!  It was more than I expected!  I hadn't actually used the Marathon Gas Card much and I don't know if that influenced them much or not.  I am nearing the point where I can request a CLI on the Visa though.  They said at 6 months I could request it, but I really haven't used it much.  There are a few reasons for this.  I have 3 rewards cards; Household, Capone, and Barclays.  I really wanted the card as a bargaining chip with Capone, but that didn't work out as planned and then got the Barclays Card instead to use for the rewards.  If Capone and Household had given me better increases I would not have even applied for any of they, but hey that's Capone for you.  I have since found out the only way to get CLI with Capone is to go through a path with leads to their executive response team.  I used the Better Busines Burea to do and they gave me a fairly nice credit limit of $2,000.  Not as large as either my Merrick Bank Card or the Marathon Visa, but at least it was something. 

I do remember I applied online for the Marathon Visa and I don't see the hard inquiry on my credit report from Experian.  They might have used another service, but for some reason I don't think so.  I did have two other Comenity accounts; Marathon Gas and Beall, so maybe they simply went by my account history.  I have read elsewhere that they tend to offer cards for their other merchants when you go to check out at.  I heard Gap is one of the places that this happens at.  I tried it to see if it would happen with me, but was never offered it.  It might have been that I did not go far enough in the process of checking out.  I actually did not want to buy anything, if I do in the future I will find out for sure.  Comenity (WFNNB) does seem to be good about CLI's.  I hadn't even used the Bealls card in months and they raised the limit upon request to $950, which I think was more than I asked for.  The gas card went from $600 to $900.  It started at $150, then $500. then $600, and is now $900.  This was over the course of a year.  (I won't even ask again for a Bealls increase for at least six months, but I might ask for an increase on the gas card after I get one on the Visa card.)  I don't think they Product Change you on the gas card to a Visa.  I think I asked about that before.  Next time I talk to them I will to see if they do that, then I would actually have two of the Visa's!  They do have a rewards card I think that can be used for general rewards, but I know they won't change the Marathon Visa to it.  This is probably written into the contract they have with Marathon.

Message 9 of 10
ontop
Regular Contributor

Just saw your reply today. Thanks so much for a complete detailed information.

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.