Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 6.54.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-16 at 6.55.32 PM.png

Hey all,

Kind of jealous of people that never got these cards before, but the cards are now giving free Bonvoy platinum for the 2021 year. Also you get a $150 ad credit on the business card. I think it's interesting they only gave 5 free nights on the Chase side of these cards, but the Amex ones get you free Platinum. This is so much better than gold status that I hope that they pass this on to existing cardmembers too.

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
Repairman
Established Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 6.54.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-10-16 at 6.55.32 PM.png

Hey all,

Kind of jealous of people that never got these cards before, but the cards are now giving free Bonvoy platinum for the 2021 year. Also you get a $150 ad credit on the business card. I think it's interesting they only gave 5 free nights on the Chase side of these cards, but the Amex ones get you free Platinum. This is so much better than gold status that I hope that they pass this on to existing cardmembers too.

That offer is being given because of the extreme downturn in travel because of the worldwide pandemic. Many people are no longer doing that much travel in the near future to fully take advantage of that, nor is the travel experience as it was just a year ago, so don't be too jealous.

Message 2 of 43
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Smiley Frustrated  I can't believe that after the whole "righting the ship" changing around the Marriott and Starwood statuses (as one program's Gold was previously equivalent to their own Platinum when status-matched to the other brand) that they would do this.  Granted, most people getting the card may not utilize the benefits as much over the next year as they would in the course of normal times but it's pretty ridiculous to grant Platinum status (which is arguably more valuable than the top-tier Diamond status that Hilton gives for simply having a $450 credit card) for a card with a $125 annual fee.  To put that into perspective, I had to spend $75,000 on my SPG Luxury (now Bonvoy Brilliant) card in 2018 to retain Platinum status.  That's a pretty big slap in the face to those who have put enormous spend on their Bonvoy Brilliant or Ritz-Carlton card in order to obtain status.

As a Marriott Titanium, I'll be very unhappy competing with $125 or $450 AF-payers competing for the same upgrades and space in concierge lounges over the next year or so when I had almost 100 nights last year.  At least choice benefits aren't going to be granted to them unless they actually get 50 nights.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 3 of 43
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston Absolutely.  When I heard of this the first thing that came to my mind is that Marriott is taking a page from the Hilton book and I hate it.  I spend over 100 nights and spend a crap ton of money with Marriott to have and maintain status (actually typing this message from a Marriott property) so to have them give status away is a slap in the face.  

One of the reasons that I'm loyal to Marriott is because they don't gift status by way of an annual fee.  I was one who was happy when they watered down Gold status because it eliminated the non loyal Amex Platinum card holders who were gifted Gold status by way of holding the card.  

If this is the beginning of trend with Marriott then I may consider my loyalty going forward.  

Message 4 of 43
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

As a Marriott Titanium, I'll be very unhappy competing with $125 or $450 AF-payers competing for the same upgrades and space in concierge lounges over the next year or so when I had almost 100 nights last year.  

Right now, if hotel revenue and occupancy statistics are to be believed, you're probably not going to be competing with as many legitimate head-in-bed Titaniums for 2020 for upgrades and space, let alone people cashing in on this promo for Platinum:

https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2020/10/hotels-occupancy-rate-declined-292-year.html

Given what is going on with coronavirus in the US and worldwide right now, I think 2021 being "normal" for the hospitality industry is whistling past a graveyard. Corporate travel for conferences and a lot of other purposes isn't coming back fast (and there's real dollars and cents you can save with Zoom calls and remote working versus paying for plane tickets and hotel rooms, corporations that need to provide returns to shareholders would be foolish not to recognize this), and that spigot being turned off (or even just dialed back some, but permanently) is going to do serious damage to hotels (and restaurants that also get that cash) in business districts or surrounding airports. Vegas is pretty much a ghost town once the weekends are over, and that is going to do a number on a bunch of hotel capacity and fine dining too.

The whole frequent flyer/hotel status game is very much a game where corporate money washing in for travel is what makes getting that lie flat seat or luxury suite on miles or points work- if that money goes away, the excess capacity a hotel or an airline can give away as a comp is going eventually to go away to a different set of paying customers (I suspect that long term if intercontinental travel for business gets cut, those business/first class seats get cut too- you will see a lot of longhaul routes disappear once they become financially unviable, and the seat mix will change to prefer coach/premium coach), or it will just go away permanently like a buggy manufacturer in the age of cars (hotels will eventually become a different use for that real estate).

So I submit that worrying about there might be some credit card holders competing with you for upgrades is worrying about the wrong thing. I think you should be worried that Fortune 500 companies decide that travel budgets for customer visits, corporate training and conferences can get slashed permanently with no real ill effect on their bottom line (in fact, a positive one because the checks to airlines and hotels will be smaller and less frequent). That will rapidly turn the miles and points game into much more of a "you get what you pay for in cold, hard cash" and will wash a lot of premium inventory out of the game. Think Southwest or Jet Blue (where points are an effective rebate on travel) and the variable pricing that's already infected hotel award schemes (and some other airline loyalty schemes) that make award prices reflect cash prices.

The fact that companies are shoveling out promotions like this (retaining/giving away status, or making it super easy to get free room nights and point/miles a-plenty) for the short term is a sign that airlines and hotels aren't in a good place right now, and might not be in a good place long term without some significant changes to their model in the middle to long term. This happened in 2007-2010 as well... the differences are that high speed Internet videoconferencing wasn't something you could reliably do from home back then, and there wasn't a deadly virus going around that we're not yet sure is going to be like SARS (going away eventually) or like the common cold (staying around long term).

(You won't hear travel bloggers promoting credit cards talk about this because like Upton Sinclair says, it is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.)

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 5 of 43
Repairman
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Smiley Frustrated  I can't believe that after the whole "righting the ship" changing around the Marriott and Starwood statuses (as one program's Gold was previously equivalent to their own Platinum when status-matched to the other brand) that they would do this.  Granted, most people getting the card may not utilize the benefits as much over the next year as they would in the course of normal times but it's pretty ridiculous to grant Platinum status (which is arguably more valuable than the top-tier Diamond status that Hilton gives for simply having a $450 credit card) for a card with a $125 annual fee.  To put that into perspective, I had to spend $75,000 on my SPG Luxury (now Bonvoy Brilliant) card in 2018 to retain Platinum status.  That's a pretty big slap in the face to those who have put enormous spend on their Bonvoy Brilliant or Ritz-Carlton card in order to obtain status.

As a Marriott Titanium, I'll be very unhappy competing with $125 or $450 AF-payers competing for the same upgrades and space in concierge lounges over the next year or so when I had almost 100 nights last year.  At least choice benefits aren't going to be granted to them unless they actually get 50 nights.  Smiley Frustrated

There will be no competition. The rooms are empty. From a business perspective, it's not ridiculous at all. They need to drive business and if they don't offer incentives for more people to use their services over the next year, the hotels will close and neither the new Platinum members or old Titanium members, like yourself will have a place to stay...rendering your status useless. It's always good to look outside of ourselves and see the bigger picture. I'm a current Platinum member and I say, yay for them to be able to get status if they can take advantage of it over the next year. I certainly won't be using it as much as I had in years past. Why would I get angry over someone else's fortune? As you know, Marriot has also extended and increased benefits and status across the board to all of their existing members. And while this unique time we're in, ie. a worldwide pandemic that has killed over 210,000 people in the US, alone, has made Marriott more lenient in gaining status, people not putting in equal effort in gaining status is nothing new. There have always been tons of people who never spent a single dime, who are Platinum and Titanium because their jobs sent them around to conferences and covered the tab, while there are others who actually spent their own money, on their own travel and earned it on their own. And from my own observations, the ones who weren't spending their own money were usually the most obnoxious.

Message 6 of 43
Repairman
Established Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

As a Marriott Titanium, I'll be very unhappy competing with $125 or $450 AF-payers competing for the same upgrades and space in concierge lounges over the next year or so when I had almost 100 nights last year.  

Right now, if hotel revenue and occupancy statistics are to be believed, you're probably not going to be competing with as many legitimate head-in-bed Titaniums for 2020 for upgrades and space, let alone people cashing in on this promo for Platinum:

https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2020/10/hotels-occupancy-rate-declined-292-year.html

Given what is going on with coronavirus in the US and worldwide right now, I think 2021 being "normal" for the hospitality industry is whistling past a graveyard. Corporate travel for conferences and a lot of other purposes isn't coming back fast (and there's real dollars and cents you can save with Zoom calls and remote working versus paying for plane tickets and hotel rooms, corporations that need to provide returns to shareholders would be foolish not to recognize this), and that spigot being turned off (or even just dialed back some, but permanently) is going to do serious damage to hotels (and restaurants that also get that cash) in business districts or surrounding airports. Vegas is pretty much a ghost town once the weekends are over, and that is going to do a number on a bunch of hotel capacity and fine dining too.

The whole frequent flyer/hotel status game is very much a game where corporate money washing in for travel is what makes getting that lie flat seat or luxury suite on miles or points work- if that money goes away, the excess capacity a hotel or an airline can give away as a comp is going eventually to go away to a different set of paying customers (I suspect that long term if intercontinental travel for business gets cut, those business/first class seats get cut too- you will see a lot of longhaul routes disappear once they become financially unviable, and the seat mix will change to prefer coach/premium coach), or it will just go away permanently like a buggy manufacturer in the age of cars (hotels will eventually become a different use for that real estate).

So I submit that worrying about there might be some credit card holders competing with you for upgrades is worrying about the wrong thing. I think you should be worried that Fortune 500 companies decide that travel budgets for customer visits, corporate training and conferences can get slashed permanently with no real ill effect on their bottom line (in fact, a positive one because the checks to airlines and hotels will be smaller and less frequent). That will rapidly turn the miles and points game into much more of a "you get what you pay for in cold, hard cash" and will wash a lot of premium inventory out of the game. Think Southwest or Jet Blue (where points are an effective rebate on travel) and the variable pricing that's already infected hotel award schemes (and some other airline loyalty schemes) that make award prices reflect cash prices.

The fact that companies are shoveling out promotions like this (retaining/giving away status, or making it super easy to get free room nights and point/miles a-plenty) for the short term is a sign that airlines and hotels aren't in a good place right now, and might not be in a good place long term without some significant changes to their model in the middle to long term. This happened in 2007-2010 as well... the differences are that high speed Internet videoconferencing wasn't something you could reliably do from home back then, and there wasn't a deadly virus going around that we're not yet sure is going to be like SARS (going away eventually) or like the common cold (staying around long term).

(You won't hear travel bloggers promoting credit cards talk about this because like Upton Sinclair says, it is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.)

Everything you said. Exactly.

Message 7 of 43
CBartowski
Frequent Contributor

So Platinum status aside, what is everyone's opinion of this card anyway? With 300$ in credit that can be used for the room itself combined with a free night at a cat 6 (Ritz and JW come to mind) this card seems to pay for itself with just those 2 perks. Am I off base?

Yes we are still traveling and have been quite a bit, pandemic won't keep us down Smiley Happy. In fact it's been really nice have so many less people to deal with, perhaps that makes me an elitist Smiley Happy

Hope everyone is well! 

CARDS:
AMEX CS Plat | NSL -- Chase Freedom Flex | $19,000
AMEX Gold | NSL -- Citi Double Cash | $10,000
AMEX HH NAF | $1,000 -- Uber Visa | $5,000
CSR | $29,000 -- USAA Plat | $8,000
USAA AMEX | $23,000 -- MB Boundless | $11,900 -- CFU | $3,600 -- PenFed Pathfinder | $10,000 -- MS Plat | NSL

BANKS:
NFCU | USAA | PenFed | Schwab Bank | First Bank | Chase
Message 8 of 43
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

What competition?  Hotels are no where near there capacity right now.  Just last week I spent two nights in DC at the Capital Hilton and the hotel was practically empty.  As far as lounges go do most Marriott hotels even have them open now are even plan on opening them for that matter?  Hotel services are bare bones right now and that doesn't look like that's going to change drastically next year.  

Message 9 of 43
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@CBartowski wrote:

So Platinum status aside, what is everyone's opinion of this card anyway? With 300$ in credit that can be used for the room itself combined with a free night at a cat 6 (Ritz and JW come to mind) this card seems to pay for itself with just those 2 perks. Am I off base?

Yes we are still traveling and have been quite a bit, pandemic won't keep us down Smiley Happy. In fact it's been really nice have so many less people to deal with, perhaps that makes me an elitist Smiley Happy

Hope everyone is well! 

If you're asking about the Bonvoy Brilliant and the Ritz Card then I would say they are both well worth their weight in my opinion.  My wife and I have 6 Marriott cards between the both of us and I would have 6 more if that were possible.  I believe each of Marriott's high AF cards are more than worth it if you're traveling and will be staying at Marriott properties anyway. 

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.