cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

I wonder how many of the people interested in this already have 4+ Amex revolvers.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 21 of 43
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

The offer will be over by the time I go on my next app spree but the card in general has me thinking...  

 

I *think*,  and someone can tell me if I am wrong, that since I received my last Marriott card more than 2 years ago I would be eligible for the whatever sign up bonus exists.  

 

I was thinking about doing the IHG premier card to give me some more choices when traveling to step to a different brand but with over 300k Marriot points right now if they have decent offers when it comes time for me to app I may try for the Brilliant card instead.  

 

I hope it isn't considered off topic to ask, can I combine award certificates between two cards on the same stay?  





Message 22 of 43
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status


@sxa001 wrote:

The offer will be over by the time I go on my next app spree but the card in general has me thinking...  

 

I *think*,  and someone can tell me if I am wrong, that since I received my last Marriott card more than 2 years ago I would be eligible for the whatever sign up bonus exists.  

 

I was thinking about doing the IHG premier card to give me some more choices when traveling to step to a different brand but with over 300k Marriot points right now if they have decent offers when it comes time for me to app I may try for the Brilliant card instead.  

 

I hope it isn't considered off topic to ask, can I combine award certificates between two cards on the same stay?  


If Premier is the only Marriott card you've had, this one is pretty easy.  You are eligible for the SUB on either Amex card as long as you've had it longer than 90 days (check) and haven't received a signup bonus in 24 months (check).

 

You can combine one or multiple award certificates, points, cash, and 5th/10th/15th/etc. night free (if redeeming at least 4/8/12/etc. other award nights) in any combination you want.

 

You should also be eligible for the Marriott Boundless from Chase if you close your existing card, which currently has an astonishing five 50k certificates signup bonus, which in terms of sheer value is the largest signup bonus I have ever seen for any credit card.

Message 23 of 43
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status


@K-in-Boston wrote:


If Premier is the only Marriott card you've had, this one is pretty easy.  You are eligible for the SUB on either Amex card as long as you've had it longer than 90 days (check) and haven't received a signup bonus in 24 months (check).


Oh interesting - you can get the Amex Marriott cards if you still have Chase Marriott cards but not the other way around? Smiley Sad I remember the reason I never applied for Marriott Boundless was because I was ineligible since I have the Amex cards.

Message 24 of 43
Highlighted
Moderator

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

There is no easy answer to that question.  There are very specific rules about which cards you can have (or have had in the past 30 days) and which ones you can have received a SUB or Welcome Offer and still be eligible for a bonus.  You are eligible for the SUB on either the Boundless or Bold card if it has been more than 90 days since your two Amex cards were opened and more than 24 months since you received a Welcome Offer (or upgrade offer) on those cards.

 

Fortunately, the terms for both Amex and Chase Marriott cards are crystal clear at the top of each document if you click to open them.

Message 25 of 43
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

Eligibility for the new cardmember bonus: The bonus is not available to you if you:

  • ...
  • are a current or previous cardmember of either Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (also known as The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express) or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (also known as the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card), and received a new cardmember bonus or upgrade bonus in the last 24 months; or
  • applied and were approved for Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card (also known as The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express) or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card (also known as the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card) within the last 90 days.

 

Wow I guess I never noticed the "and" ! I thought it was just any current cardmembers. Hmm might have to do an app now... 🤔

Message 26 of 43
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status


@K-in-Boston wrote:


Apples and bowling balls comparing Platinum and Brilliant.  While there is some slight overlap in benefits, they are quite different products and not mutually exclusive.  If you're more of a road-tripper than flyer, Platinum may make little sense.

 

It's more like I don't own a car, so I spend heavier on Lyft and rental cars that get 3x on Green, 1x on Platinum (or 7x Hilton Aspire occasionally to keep the AMEX gremlins happy)- my overall spend pattern works way better with Green (and TBH CSR, but I am excluded from getting that for a while)- I ran numbers on Mint and it's "duh, you want Green, not Platinum long term" (unless someday I drop an extra few thousand on airfare). I get Brilliant and Platinum are different products... it's more "what would I get better usage out of if I kept this card long term". I'm somewhat gunshy of dumping AMEX cards precipitously and being in popup hell.

 

It's nice to know Marriot is pretty good for generating points on Marriott spend...

Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k
Capital One VentureOne 11k
Amex Gold NPSL
Amex Green NPSL
PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k
Petal2 VISA 6k
DiscoverIt Cashback 5k
Hotels.com 5k
Capital One QS 3.5k
AMEX Hilton Aspire 3.1k
Apple Card 3k
Amazon/Synchrony 3k
Cathay Pacific/Synchrony 2.5k
AMEX Hilton 1k
Target 800
Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 27 of 43
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status

I am considering this.  Currently it looks like the Bonvoy program has a status match from other loyalty programs that gives you immediate Platinum Elite status for 90 days, and if you stay 15 nights within those 90 days, that status is extended through February, 2022 (2 months longer than the Brilliant status lasts).  Assuming that you already have a matchable status, and that some of the lower-end (read: cheaper) Marriott properties satisfy these night requirements (I believe they do, from this article), it seems reasonable that 1.3 years of Platinum Elite can be bought right now for ($75x15=) ~$1100, give or take.  Am I getting that about right?  If so, one way of looking at the dollar value of the Brilliant status promo is, something less than $1100. That could drop further if you have planned upcoming hotel stays in the 90 days following a match anyway that are easily re-routed to Marriott.

 

I'm also curious about status match opportunities from Bonvoy Platinum Elite now, or in 2021. Doesn't look like there's too much available right now, but as the competition for customers heats up in 2021 that may change.

 

ETA: Also I wonder if Brilliant's Platinum Elite promo will include the "Choice Benefit" which may be redeemed for 5 Suite Night Awards.

Message 28 of 43
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status


@K-in-Boston wrote:

The 50k certificate can be worth hundreds of dollars more than the 35k certificate.   Last year I used mine to cover one of the nights in a $800/night Ritz-Carlton. 

Well it also might be because you stay at their properties quite often, so they're not opposed to comping a night at that value. I'm not certain the same would happen for someone who does not stay there as often?

 

 

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You can combine one or multiple award certificates, points, cash, and 5th/10th/15th/etc. night free (if redeeming at least 4/8/12/etc. other award nights) in any combination you want.


This part wasn't as easy for me, as you make it seem. Could have been because I ws trying to outsmart their computer and pay cash for the cheaper day while using the points for the higher days. lol






Message 29 of 43
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Mariott Bonvoy Amex Cards Giving Complimentary Platinum Status


@Janus wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

The 50k certificate can be worth hundreds of dollars more than the 35k certificate.   Last year I used mine to cover one of the nights in a $800/night Ritz-Carlton. 

Well it also might be because you stay at their properties quite often, so they're not opposed to comping a night at that value. I'm not certain the same would happen for someone who does not stay there as often?

 

 

@K-in-Boston wrote:

You can combine one or multiple award certificates, points, cash, and 5th/10th/15th/etc. night free (if redeeming at least 4/8/12/etc. other award nights) in any combination you want.


This part wasn't as easy for me, as you make it seem. Could have been because I ws trying to outsmart their computer and pay cash for the cheaper day while using the points for the higher days. lol


The more nights you spend in a hotel each year, the more selective you can be with which ones you pay cash for and which ones you use points or certificates for.

Spend: BofA PR + WWFCR, BBP, Schwab Platinum, CFF+CF, Costco, Discover
Perks: IHG49, Hyatt75, Delta Platinum, "Old" SPG95
SD/AAoA Ballast: Arrival, CFU, DC
Upgrade/downgrade games: BCE, EDP
Mostly earning MRs and cash back as I use up hotel and airline points spread across several programs.
Message 30 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.