Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriot 70k points offer is back!

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Marriot Rewards 70k offer

So it's offering 70k points - worth "ten hotel nights" in category 1. So a category 1 hotel stay is I guess around 7k points?

That means at 5x points on Marriott spend, you'd have to spend $1400 on stays before earning one stay. Seems like a lot to buy for one stay. I've been eyeing this card but I wonder if the metal design is seducing me. Smiley Happy 

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 11 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Bman70 wrote:

So it's offering 70k points - worth "ten hotel nights" in category 1. So a category 1 hotel stay is I guess around 7k points?

That means at 5x points on Marriott spend, you'd have to spend $1400 on stays before earning one stay. Seems like a lot to buy for one stay. I've been eyeing this card but I wonder if the metal design is seducing me. Smiley Happy 

Well, the sign up bonus is a-whole-nother thing that is seducing, as well. It has some value.

Message 12 of 23
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

Re: Marriot 70k points offer is back!

I had applied last Thursday and got approval next day with CL of $32,000. My one free night certificate (category 1-4) is already posted within 2 days. Within next two days I should have my card. First year annual fees ($85) is waived but after each year $85 annual fees. The free night from next year (on the anniversary of the card) would be in category 1-5 hotels within Marriott group. So in a way that itself would be worth more than $85 and pays-off itself.  

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 13 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@s_haliz wrote:

I had applied last Thursday and got approval next day with CL of $32,000. My one free night certificate (category 1-4) is already posted within 2 days. Within next two days I should have my card. First year annual fees ($85) is waived but after year $85 annual fees. The free night from next year (on the anniversary of the card) would be in category 1-5 hotels within Marriott group. So in a way that itself would be worth more than $85 and pays-off itself.  

For sure.

Message 14 of 23
Bman70
Established Contributor

@KennyRS wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

Well, the sign up bonus is a-whole-nother thing that is seducing, as well. It has some value.

True, but I try to evaluate a card's value for me beyond the signup bonuses... Hard to sometimes, I admit. But I usually won't app unless it's a good long-term fit for my stable of cards. Isn't there a free night annually PLUS 6k bonus points annually? That's almost 2 free nights, increases the attraction for sure. Otherwise it's really just a "buy 8 nights get one free" card.

edit: I think I was confusing it with Southwest.. Can't find any mention of 6k points annually for Marriott. So it's pretty much the "free" yearly stay (actually $85 stay), and then one night worth of points per $1400 Marriott spend.

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 15 of 23
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Message 16 of 23
s_haliz
Valued Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

True, but I try to evaluate a card's value for me beyond the signup bonuses... Hard to sometimes, I admit. But I usually won't app unless it's a good long-term fit for my stable of cards. Isn't there a free night annually PLUS 6k bonus points annually? That's almost 2 free nights, increases the attraction for sure. Otherwise it's really just a "buy 8 nights get one free" card.

I am not aware of "PLUS 6k bonus points annually".....Just one free night only...+ whatever you have spent on card (at Marriott or general use) that accumulates points. 

TU FICO 850 | EQ FICO 850 I EX FICO 850
Message 17 of 23
DrZoidberg
Established Contributor

You're not valuing it properly. If you base it strictly off spending and free nights it's not a good deal. It's a card that complements. For me (or other travelers) I use it to pay for my Marriott stays which this just gives bonus points on top of the points earned from the stay itself. Plus it offers a free night stay annually and it helps keep my points active if I don't stay at marriott which may happen since our preferred is Hilton.

Message 18 of 23
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Oh! I want this card but Chase says I have to wait 30 days to be approved for another card. Only a few more days left!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Instant approval for me. Just got a sapphire preferred cars $9k limit a week ago was approved for $5k limit on Marriott today. Took five mins on the site. When it comes I'm going to call and see if they can match the limit on my CSP. Good idea?
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.