Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless vs Amex Bonvoy Business

tag
MyFault
Valued Contributor

Marriott Bonvoy Boundless vs Amex Bonvoy Business

I was originally going to garden until December, then apply for the Boundless card. We travel 3-4 times per year and stay at Marriott everytime a Marriott is available. The $95 AF on the boundless is a no brainer to me with the anniversary night, which i will without a doubt use every year and i could use it for a room that would normally be $150-350.

I'm currently at 3/24, and planned on getting the Boundless and CFU 3 months later to finish off my 5 slots for now. However, i am also very interested in the Ink Preferred with it's 80k SUB.

The Amex Marriott Business has the same SUB right now, except with 0% for 6 months added. Amex seems to like giving me only $3k SL however, but i'll never spend more than $3k at Marriott anyway. It would keep me from filling another 5/24 slot which would allow me to get the Ink Preferred in 4-6 months. Also, i wanted the Boundless for the util padding which the Business won't give me.

Is the $30 higher AF worth it, on the Business card? I'm trying to decide which one to get, and want to grab either the Business before the end of October (100k ends) or the Boundless before the beginning of November (100k ends).

Also, i was recently approved for the Amex Business Prime on 9/17 so if that affects my ability to get the Bonvoy Business before the 100k offer expires that will make my decision for the Chase card easier.

Help!

|  
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriott Bonvoy Boundless vs Amex Bonvoy Business

I got in while it was still $95, plus the 100K SUB. So for me it's already been offset, then add 6X points at Marriott, 4X points on Gas and Dining, 2X points elsewhere. So it can add up if used as a driver. But the $125? IDK.

Once my AF on Gold goes to $250 I may cancel and go to this card for the Restaraunts. However, there's no Airline or Hotel credit like the Gold has. So I'm torn there.

If you stay exclusivlery at Marriot then I'd say it's possibly worth the AF, but the only way to know for sure is to try it out. At least it leave that precious 5/24 slot open for the Boundless if it doesn't work out.

Message 2 of 14
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got in while it was still $95, plus the 100K SUB. So for me it's already been offset, then add 6X points at Marriott, 4X points on Gas and Dining, 2X points elsewhere. So it can add up if used as a driver. But the $125? IDK.

Once my AF on Gold goes to $250 I may cancel and go to this card for the Restaraunts. However, there's no Airline or Hotel credit like the Gold has. So I'm torn there.

If you stay exclusivlery at Marriot then I'd say it's possibly worth the AF, but the only way to know for sure is to try it out. At least it leave that precious 5/24 slot open for the Boundless if it doesn't work out.

I stay at Marriot exclusively, however it won't be a daily driver. I'll use it to get the SUB then only at Marriott after that.

I've spoken with someone else and i'm thinking the Boundless is a better option.

|  
Message 3 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Any reason you're not considering a Brilliant (the $450 personal Amex)?

The $300 credit is flexible and last I checked the renewal night went up to 50k points.

I just use mine for infrequent stays, but as long as the room and credits keep exceeding the $450 AF I'll keep it.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 14
MyFault
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Any reason you're not considering a Brilliant (the $450 personal Amex)?

The $300 credit is flexible and last I checked the renewal night went up to 50k points.

I just use mine for infrequent stays, but as long as the room and credits keep exceeding the $450 AF I'll keep it.

I will use the annual night every year, however it'll be sock drawered after the SUB for only Marriott spending. I don't want to be bound to a $450 AF when there may be a year where i won't be able to use credits to cover it.

Additionally, i plan on the Amex Platinum next year which provide the same benefits the Brilliant provides for Marriott.

|  
Message 5 of 14
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

With the Marriott peak and off-peak pricing, it is harder to use the award nights.  With AmEx biz card AF going up to $129, I'm cutting it at renewal.  I will keep the Brilliant card and uses it at Marriott/RC hotels.  The $99 cards are still keepers just for the FNs.  Not much beyond that.

Message 6 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

With the Marriott peak and off-peak pricing, it is harder to use the award nights.  With AmEx biz card AF going up to $129, I'm cutting it at renewal.  I will keep the Brilliant card and uses it at Marriott/RC hotels.  The $99 cards are still keepers just for the FNs.  Not much beyond that.

Ouch...$129 (or the $125 it says on the site) with the free night on renewal limited to 35k points.

And the other free night (after $60k spend) is also limited to 35k points.

I used my renewal night at a 50k property and would find 35k a lot more restrictive as an only occasional guest.

Message 7 of 14
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Ouch...$129 (or the $125 it says on the site) with the free night on renewal limited to 35k points.

And the other free night (after $60k spend) is also limited to 35k points.

I used my renewal night at a 50k property and would find 35k a lot more restrictive as an only occasional guest.

AmEx claimed the updated card adds more value with its 4x on gas, dinning etc.  and the free night with $60k spending.  That is so bad.  Who would be that insane to spend $60k to receive a free night?  Radisson is $10k and both Hilton and Hyatt are $15k for free night....

Message 8 of 14
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Marriot points are used better towards airline miles.
Message 9 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@randomguy1 wrote:
Marriot points are used better towards airline miles.

There are Marriott experts and then there are Marriot experts. Smiley Happy

Not in total disagreement, though.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.