Did you mean: 

Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card

tag
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting this card cause I hear a lot of people like the marriott, I finally stayed at the marriott and it wasn't bad. I'm over 5/24 and already have 6 cards with chase not sure if they would extend more but wanted to know if I got the brilliant card but never got the spg to begin with. Would I be eligible for the amex marriott.bonvoy card (spg)? Thanks 

As this card is with AMEX, you haven't provided any info to aid on likelihood of approval so try the Amex PreQual Page. Not having the prior SPG card is not a dependency on getting this card as new to you. There is nothing precluding you from having a Chase Bonvoy and an Amex Bonvoy at the same time if your spend warrants it. Good Luck if you proceed @TheBoondocks 

Message 21 of 27
socalchef00
Regular Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

Hey guys, I've been thinking about getting this card cause I hear a lot of people like the marriott, I finally stayed at the marriott and it wasn't bad. I'm over 5/24 and already have 6 cards with chase not sure if they would extend more but wanted to know if I got the brilliant card but never got the spg to begin with. Would I be eligible for the amex marriott.bonvoy card (spg)? Thanks 

As this card is with AMEX, you haven't provided any info to aid on likelihood of approval so try the Amex PreQual Page. Not having the prior SPG card is not a dependency on getting this card as new to you. There is nothing precluding you from having a Chase Bonvoy and an Amex Bonvoy at the same time if your spend warrants it. Good Luck if you proceed @TheBoondocks 

Thank you all for your input, I decided I still want this card.

So I did the AMEX Pre qual page and this card did not show up. Some others did, but this one did not. 

Does that mean if I apply for it with a HP, my chances are slim?

TransUnion FicoScore 8 : 800 | EquiFax FicoScore 9 : 813 | Experian FicoScore 8 : 760
Total Credit Limit Of : $374,650 | Avg Cr Age : 6 Yrs., Oldest card : 18 years, Youngest card : 2 Month
Message 22 of 27
DONZI
Established Contributor

My experience is that the pre-qualification (from an active amex online account) list is further filtered to 'reccomended' for you by amex for some reason or another.

If I click apply on other cards not immediately shown as pre-qualified, and the new page shows 'your prequalified' -- it's also an instant approval candidate.

2014 credit2020 credit2021 credit2023 credit
paypal credit imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecredit card imagecredit card imagecharge card imagecharge card image
[2020-12-09]=[EQ8|786]-[TU8|746]-[EX8|772] .... gardening until I can't (again).
[2023-10-01]=[EQ8|797]-[TU8|776]-[EX8|775]
Message 23 of 27
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

@TheBoondocks wrote:

No, I know anybody could apply for the card and I've never used the prequalify page to begin with. 

Message 24 of 27
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

@DONZI wrote:

My experience is that the pre-qualification (from an active amex online account) list is further filtered to 'reccomended' for you by amex for some reason or another.

If I click apply on other cards not immediately shown as pre-qualified, and the new page shows 'your prequalified' -- it's also an instant approval candidate.

Just apply bro, if you got a clean CR, good income, then you should be able to get the card. It pays for itself every year I would say, you get 2 FN so to speak.

Message 25 of 27
AMJ50
Contributor

Several posters have commented on the Auth users on the MBB getting priority pass membership. I was informed by customer service that only the primary gets that membership with guests traveling with the primary card member?

Message 26 of 27
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

To follow up:

Bonvoy is transitioning to a variable point value on award redemptions that is closer to a cash rate, and started the transition on March 29th. 2022 is a transition year where values can float between peak and off peak, and a small number of properties now have award rates that can soar above 100k/night. 2023 and beyond will make the program similar to IHG, where there is no published maximum or award chart.

What this means is it's a (shrug) whether or not your 50k certificate will get you what you want. However, you will be able to "boost" your certificate by up to 15k points by adding them from your Marriott account.

I've been playing around with this looking at redemptions in London (doing some European travel over the summer) and have found that for now, the 50k certificate is still usable, but not quite at the same properties it was usable at before 3/29 (lost some boutique hotels, got some bland Residence Inns and Canary Wharf corporate Marriotts). Since I booked a nice boutique hotel pre-3/29 this didn't really hurt me. Smiley Happy I  I also was able to get some points back on a booking in Germany (that's pretty high value, over a cent per point).

It feels pretty mixed bag to me (didn't love the change in hotel mix, did love getting points back on a booked redemption) but the uncertainty on "what will I actually be able to do with this 50k FNC" isn't making me love paying $450 for a card (net $150 for the FNC if you figure the $300 Marriott credit is as good as cash)- especially since this the transition year, the case where values chainwide float based on the cash rate isn't here yet.

Anyways, thought I would report some findings. The sky hasn't fallen... yet. In fact there are indications that you may be able to get better value in the program for your points: I don't know if a direct link is allowed, but a Frequent Miler article titled "Marriott's dynamic pricing is looking surprisingly good (for now)" can show you the upside in the program, hopefully you can plug it into your favorite search engine. Smiley Happy

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.