Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Bonvoy advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marriott Bonvoy advice needed

Need some advice on what to do with the Amex Marriott bussiness card.   Didn't have a hotel card, so I signed up back in March when they were offering the big 100k+ SUB when changing over from SPG. 

Now either I'm an idiot (more likely), or they are mistaken that the min spend wasn't $3k in 90 days. I hit that, but they are now saying it was $5k min spend...so no SUB for me. 

Now I can make use of the Marriott card, and love the free night and points earned on stays. But, starting from scratch instead of 100k points...not great.

Considering closing the business card...and signing up for another non-business version. The rules on SUBs on this card are a little confusing, so need some advice on whether that's even possible? I'm at 4/24, so the chase version is possible, or the Amex version. 

As far as I can tell I'd have to close it, and wait 30 days?  And then would I be eligile for a SUB. I know it's once per lifetime I beleive...but technically I didn't receive a SUB. The annual fee was also waived the first year. So i'm not out of pocket yet.

Thoughts or advice?  Or should I just skip it and go for a hilton or hyatt?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Marriott Bonvoy advice needed

Sorry to hear about the missed SUB. 

The card gets an annual 35,000 free night, so you get that for the $95. It earns points, and gets you a certain status at Marriotts. 

With the AMEX team watching for this sort of early closure, I'd keep it open indefinitely. 

For the Bonvoy Brilliant, $450, you can go for that now. The other cards look like there is a delay for any SUB, though I am not clear on that.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a bummer you missed out on that 100K SUB, but it was $5K. I hit that within the second month and then some just to be sure. 

FYI, it never pays to just hit the Minimum spend to earn the SUB as too many variable exist. I realize $5K might be difficult for some people to reach in a short time with normal spend, but it pays off to time it right with upcoming large purchases. 

Lenders also don't really like it when you only use their card to meet the SUB, and then let it sit. lol

Message 3 of 9
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As far as I can tell I'd have to close it, and wait 30 days?  And then would I be eligile for a SUB. I know it's once per lifetime I beleive...but technically I didn't receive a SUB. The annual fee was also waived the first year. So i'm not out of pocket yet.

Sorry you missed on the signup bonus, buddy Smiley Sad Unfortunately though, the once in a lifetime rule means that if you've ever held the card in the past then you're unable to receive a signup bonus even if you didn't get it before. So since you've had the card, you can't get a SUB even if you apply fresh. With that being said, if you actually stay at Marriott properties, then the $95 will pay for itself just in the anniversary night alone which I consider this a good card to keep. For signup bonuses, you can still apply for the personal Bonvoy Brilliant and/or Chase Marriott cards. Just keep in mind that you'll be ineligible for Chase's cards until 24 months I believe after having the Amex cards.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tend to keep cards for the longer term. So the idea was always to keep the Marriott card. Just had the hopeful thought I could just switch cards and start over with 100k points given I didn't take a bonus. Then again, preventing that sort of thing is of course the whole point of all the new rules.

I was just not paying attention. I probably spent $10k on my cards that month. Just most was on the BBP since I thought i had hit the minimum spend on the Marriott. Oops.

If i did decide to opt for the hyatt card instead ( I tend to not like to have too many cards in general), how badly would it look to cancel 8 months after opening? Hopefully not as bad given they didn't have to shell out for a bonus. But I'd rather stay in Amex's good graces.

Message 5 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

Well, given how AMEX has been reacting lately when people close a card within a year, I wouldn’t close it 8 months after opening. This has less to do with the Marriott you have, and more to do with ensuring the next AMEX you want comes with a SUB offer.

It is only a $95 AF and you will get a free night out of it. There is no benefit to closing your card before the AF posts. You can ask them to refund the AF once it posts, and close the card after the 12 months have passed.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Totally agree with @NRB525 .

Sorry you missed the sub op. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the solid advice. I'll just keep it until next year and evaluate again after the fee posts. 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't recall when it was that you got this card, but wasn't the first years AF waived? It was on mine, so keeping it a full year isn't costing me anything. And by the time it hits next year, the free room will pay for it. 

You can have up to 5 revolvers at any given time, so there's really no reason to close one too early.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.