Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Credit Card Now Earns 5x at SPG Hotels

tag
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Marriott Credit Card Now Earns 5x at SPG Hotels

@Anonymous wrote:

So is there even a reason to have a Marriott Chase Card anymore? SGH gives 1 point for everyday purchases, so that's 3 Marriott points. SGH gives 2 points for Marriott purchases, so that's 6 points, vs the 5 you get from their own Marriott chase card. With the new 3 for 1 conversion, I am thinking about just canceling my Marriott card and getting a SGH Amex. 

Is there any reason not to do this?

I keep the Marriott card for the annual free night but yes if looking for a daily use card than SPG or CSR would be best to move too!

Message 11 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If you have a Marriott card I wouldn't drop it. You never know what can happen in situations like this, best to hold onto it until the merger is complete,

BUT

The spg card is the highest earner out of the bunch now, followed by Ritz, and then Marriott.

This applies to general, travel, restaurant and hotel spend.
Message 12 of 41
redpat
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
If you have a Marriott card I wouldn't drop it. You never know what can happen in situations like this, best to hold onto it until the merger is complete,

BUT

The spg card is the highest earner out of the bunch now, followed by Ritz, and then Marriott.

This applies to general, travel, restaurant and hotel spend.

Wouldn't it be CSR w/ 1.50x redemption and 3x points instead of 1 SPG point per $1 spent?

I really think w/ CSR and anyone who has amex plat because of Marriott gold status can get a great redemption and Marriott points by redeeming UR points.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 13 of 41
kaw943
Regular Contributor

I could have sworn that Marriott was going to continue the SPG for 12 months after that the card would be pulled from Amex and everything is moving under Marriott.  I even called SPG reps, and they said while they do not have all of the details it would most likely all convert to Marriott and SPG card going away. Either way, I have Marriott and Ritz through Chase and SGP through Amex I do know this is getting all too confusing having accounts linked up all three accounts everything shows up under Marriott now gold tier with all three under one umbrella.

Trans 740| Equifax 722| Experian 733| Chase Sapphire Reserve 20k|Discover It 12k| Bofa Cash Rewards 22k| Citi Prestige 11k and AA Executive WEMC 22k|Amazon SC 7k|FNBO TravElite 10k| Amex Plat NSPL, Everyday Preferred 6k|PenFed Plat Rewards
Message 14 of 41
elim
Senior Contributor

In 2 months I think I'm going to try to grab SPG for the 75k Marriott points. Hope I still can.

Message 15 of 41
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So is there even a reason to have a Marriott Chase Card anymore? SGH gives 1 point for everyday purchases, so that's 3 Marriott points. SGH gives 2 points for Marriott purchases, so that's 6 points, vs the 5 you get from their own Marriott chase card. With the new 3 for 1 conversion, I am thinking about just canceling my Marriott card and getting a SGH Amex. 

Is there any reason not to do this?

What is the Amex SGH?

Message 16 of 41
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

SPG
Message 17 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@redpat

I did a little breakdown on the previous page about the potential value of Marriott points.

While csr is 1.5 cents per point, Marriott can easily get upwards of 10 cents per point. And the spg card gives you 3 Marriott points per dollar on general spend, and 6 Marriott points per dollar on spg/Marriott spend.

While the csr points can be transferred anywhere, including Marriott, you get the same or a better amount of Marriott points per dollar with both the amex spg and chase marriott/Ritz cards.
Message 18 of 41
redpat
Senior Contributor

Incorrect, CSR 3x dining can be 4.5% on portal redemption while 1 SPG is 3 Marriott points which are less than one cent on redemption, lets say .7 so that would be 2.1%.

The 1.50x ur redemption you get on ur portal beats Marriott point value.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 19 of 41
redpat
Senior Contributor

Freedom u 1.50 ur and 1.50x gives me 3% vs. 2.1% with SPG on reg spend.
Message 20 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.