Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Credit Card Now Earns 5x at SPG Hotels

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Marriott Credit Card Now Earns 5x at SPG Hotels

OP are your 2.2x Marriott redemptions at lower tier or category hotels? I don't think you are getting that at ritz tier 4 60k or category 8 Marriott 40k.
Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 21 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I'm at a cat 9 right now (Essex house) getting 2.2 cents per point.

Once you get into the $6-700 daily rate hotels, tax plays a huge role in the redemption.
Message 22 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

But the 2.1% is based on a stupid valuation by the points guy. His valuations are just stupid. I've never gotten less than 1.3 cents per point on a Marriott redemption. I just won't use them if they're less than that.
Message 23 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
But the 2.1% is based on a stupid valuation by the points guy. His valuations are just stupid. I've never gotten less than 1.3 cents per point on a Marriott redemption. I just won't use them if they're less than that.

TPG is stupid because he runs some cave man algorithm (i.e., it's by hand) and selects a group of redemptions to compare and average out the value. This method assumes that people are stupid and would be willing to cash in on a redemption for an expensive night at 0.5 per point when no one in their right mind would do this. People search for good deals and would reject crappy redemptions. AFAIK, TPG does not calculate this into his valuations because he is a cave man trying to do a computer's job.

Message 24 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

TPG is stupid because he runs some cave man algorithm (i.e., it's by hand) and selects a group of redemptions to compare and average out the value. This method assumes that people are stupid and would be willing to cash in on a redemption for an expensive night at 0.5 per point when no one in their right mind would do this. People search for good deals and would reject crappy redemptions. AFAIK, TPG does not calculate this into his valuations because he is a cave man trying to do a computer's job.

Eh, while I agree that his calculations aren't always the best I think you're incorrect that people won't accept a .05 redemption.  I bet that happens quite often.  The vast majority of people that have Marriott or any points/miles don't read these types of forums and probably are redeeming their points or miles for far less than optimal value.  Heck, I've seen people here do that so it happens.

Message 25 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Eh, while I agree that his calculations aren't always the best I think you're incorrect that people won't accept a .05 redemption.  I bet that happens quite often.  The vast majority of people that have Marriott or any points/miles don't read these types of forums and probably are redeeming their points or miles for far less than optimal value.  Heck, I've seen people here do that so it happens.

@Anonymous yes I agree but in the context of this debate between CSR and SPG/Marriott, both posters obviously know what they are doing and so @jsucool76's point about TPG valuations being incorrect are accurate. I should've clarified that when I said "people," I meant "myFICO people," which are a very different population than regular people for a variety of reasons lol
Message 26 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@irish

The problem is that he's posting them, and the people who read his blog either have some knowledge, or are wanting to learn how to maximize rewards. By giving out a lowball valuation, people who are using his blog as a guide think they're getting max value at 0.7 cents per point, which is just bull. He should put value ranges instead of hard values, allowing people to know the potential, and then letting them make their own decisions.
Message 27 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
@Anonymous

The problem is that he's posting them, and the people who read his blog either have some knowledge, or are wanting to learn how to maximize rewards. By giving out a lowball valuation, people who are using his blog as a guide think they're getting max value at 0.7 cents per point, which is just bull. He should put value ranges instead of hard values, allowing people to know the potential, and then letting them make their own decisions.

Oh I agree with what you are saying.  It can be very misleading.

Message 28 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Plus, judging by the sheer number of "articles" (advertisements) he's released for the Reserve card,id say his commission for the Reserve card for outweighs anything he makes from any other card.

Chase was trying to make a statement in the Super premium card market, and they did. And they used him to do so, and paid him handsomely.
Message 29 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
Plus, judging by the sheer number of "articles" (advertisements) he's released for the Reserve card,id say his commission for the Reserve card for outweighs anything he makes from any other card.

Chase was trying to make a statement in the Super premium card market, and they did. And they used him to do so, and paid him handsomely.

No doubt.  He certainly has become the de facto spokesperson for the card.  It seems like everyday he has a new 'article' about the card.  It is a good card but come on, it isn't the deal of the century.

Message 30 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.