Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Credit Card Now Earns 5x at SPG Hotels

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Marriott Credit Card Now Earns 5x at SPG Hotels

It is to him. If you notice his site says he may receive compensation from chase. No other lenders. He likely struck some kind of exclusivity deal where they heavily increased his payments to ensure he would post at least a certain amount of times a week about the card.
Message 31 of 41
redpat
Senior Contributor

LMAO, TPG must have read this thread.  See "Which credit card should I use to max marriott stays"

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 32 of 41
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Well, this thread derailed quickly.  I follow TPG and I like him but I don't go by his valuations - I do think they are accurate for the average consumer (i.e. someone who is looking to stay at middle tier categories and don't care if it's the best deal) but I easily get over $0.01/Marriott Point.  While he will recommend that it is probably better to put Marriott stays on the CSR or SPG card, I will stick with my Marriott - #1 because I don't have the SPG card and don't care to get it and #2 because I still value my Marriott points, especially since I think I will use the current 165k Marriott points i have now towards one of the 7 nights and airfare packages - and in that case 5 Marriott points > 3 Chase UR points.

Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
It is to him. If you notice his site says he may receive compensation from chase. No other lenders. He likely struck some kind of exclusivity deal where they heavily increased his payments to ensure he would post at least a certain amount of times a week about the card.
? He says he receives compensation from every lender to which he links, which is about all of them. The offers at the bottom of every article are his compensated links and they run the gamut.
Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

LMAO, TPG must have read this thread.  See "Which credit card should I use to max marriott stays"

"TPG reader wrote me on Facebook" lololol yeah right, I see you TPG getting article leads from myFICO Smiley Wink
Message 35 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, so what's the bottom line now? If we're considering one these cards, the SPG is the one to get, given the flexibility of transfers and announcement from Marriott CEO that Starpoints won't be touched for a while, right?
Message 36 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it worth it to transfer my SPG points to Marriott? That would be a pretty nice bonus...
Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Is it worth it to transfer my SPG points to Marriott? That would be a pretty nice bonus...

Sure, if you waited until jan 2017 and liked to fly southwest and wanted companion pass for 2017 and 2018 for all cash or rewards flights, plus 100k southwest miles, and a week at a category 1-5 mariott hotel, all for 250k mariott points.

I am wondering since the spg card earns more if they will see a decrease in use of the chase mariott, or when the new chase spg is coming out if it will be merged with the mariott.

Message 38 of 41
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Bottom line is that the SPG card is the highest earner currently, however, points transferred from SPG to Marriott will not count towards lifetime status (at least at this point).
Message 39 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Still wondering what to do with the points. I think I'll let them sit for now since we can switch back and forth anyways.
Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.