Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Credit Card Upgrade

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marriott Credit Card Upgrade

I'd like some advice. I've had a Marriott Visa since 2014 with a 8K line. It's paid off and I'd like to a) upgrade to a higher credit line and b) get either a Personal Premier Visa or a Business Premier Visa. B is only a consideration if its an option to keep my credit score improving.

Should I choose:

A) Close the Personal and apply for a Premier (80k bonus)?

B) Call and upgrade the Personal to the Premier?

C) Close the Personal and apply for a Business Premier (80K bonus)?

D) Leave the Personal open and apply for a Business Premier (80K bonus)?

In general - I'd like to build up my credit from 720s and consolidate some lines in the future. My oldest account is 10 years.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriott Credit Card Upgrade

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd like some advice. I've had a Marriott Visa since 2014 with a 8K line. It's paid off and I'd like to a) upgrade to a higher credit line and b) get either a Personal Premier Visa or a Business Premier Visa. B is only a consideration if its an option to keep my credit score improving.

Should I choose:

A) Close the Personal and apply for a Premier (80k bonus)?

B) Call and upgrade the Personal to the Premier?

C) Close the Personal and apply for a Business Premier (80K bonus)?

D) Leave the Personal open and apply for a Business Premier (80K bonus)?

In general - I'd like to build up my credit from 720s and consolidate some lines in the future. My oldest account is 10 years.

so yours does not have the yearly annual fee with free night?  is this your oldest card?

you should leave the personal open, and apply for biz since its not under 5/24.

If you are under 5/24 then you should be getting the CSR/CSP, etc

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

so yours does not have the yearly annual fee with free night?  is this your oldest card?

Hi jfriend33, yes that's correct. My current card does not have a yearly annual fee. It is not my oldest card. I have two others dating to 2007 and 2011 respectively.

I haven't opened 5 cards in the past 24 months if that's what you mean so I can qualify for the Personal Premier as a new account.  But I'm new to the lingo, what's CSR/CSP?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi jfriend33, yes that's correct. My current card does not have a yearly annual fee. It is not my oldest card. I have two others dating to 2007 and 2011 respectively.

I haven't opened 5 cards in the past 24 months if that's what you mean so I can qualify for the Personal Premier as a new account.  But I'm new to the lingo, what's CSR/CSP?

If you haven't opened 5 major credit cards in 2 years, then you would benefit more from getting the Chase Sapphire Reserve. $450 AF (can downgrade at 12 months) has 300 travel credit now, and again january 2018, plus 1000 in cash or 1500 towards travel.  You could also transfer those points to mariott.  And using the same inquiry get 80k points from mariott for personal.  Then ina few months get the Chase sapphire Preferred, no af the first year, $500 cash, or $750 towards travel if redeemed thru your Chase Sapphire Reserve.  Focus on chase cards with the biggest bonuses first, you wont get a better deal.

Ink also has 80k points, worth $800 cash or $1200 towards travel if redeemed through chase sapphire reserve. Lots of options here, dont let the annual fees scare you.  Can always downgrade.

Go to chase.com and check for prequalified offers.  If you see the preferred, slate, and freedom, great. If you have a branch close by, then go in branch, you could get the Chase sapphire preferred 70k point offer, freedom 30k offer, etc. I'd snag the reserve first.  You can always move CL around if you were denied.  Chase lets you open 2 cards in 30 days and they do combine under 1 inquiry most of the time, but not guaranteed, if done the same day.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks I appreciate the tip! I'm not interested in opening multiple lines (I currently have two Chase cards) and I use Marriott frequently. Your advice seems to be saying that whatever I do - don't close the Personal account? So if that's the case, I'd probably just apply for the Business Premier.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks I appreciate the tip! I'm not interested in opening multiple lines (I currently have two Chase cards) and I use Marriott frequently. Your advice seems to be saying that whatever I do - don't close the Personal account? So if that's the case, I'd probably just apply for the Business Premier.

You dont have to open multiple lines. What chase cards do you have? The CSR would give you 100k mariott points if thats what you are after...not to mention $300 twice despite $450 annual fee.

You could upgrade your card to the premier but then you'd miss on the bonus.  So if for whatever reason you are opposed to CSR and CSP, then open the mariott premier personal and biz. Throwing away ffree money and nights though....

You also should consider Amex SPG if you want Mariott points. easy to get the spg amex with 30k points which are 90k mariott points....

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what you're saying now RE the CSR and CSP! Something to think about. I just was really hoping to reduce my card load and re-focus only on the ones I use in 2017 as I rebuild credit plus getting higher lines.

I have a Chase Amazon and Chase Marriott now. You're right that I don't want to miss out on the bonus which is why I was willing to close out the Marriott Personal & get the the Premier Personal or Business.

Any chance of Marriott Business offering the 100K bonus again this year?

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I see what you're saying now RE the CSR and CSP! Something to think about. I just was really hoping to reduce my card load and re-focus only on the ones I use in 2017 as I rebuild credit plus getting higher lines.

I have a Chase Amazon and Chase Marriott now. You're right that I don't want to miss out on the bonus which is why I was willing to close out the Marriott Personal & get the the Premier Personal or Business.

Any chance of Marriott Business offering the 100K bonus again this year?

Anything is possible. But with the SPG merger who knows what will happen.  If 100k points is what you want thats easy to do with other chase cards.  You would ideally get new chase cards with big bonuses then move the limit from the non premier mariott and close.  Check online and see if you are prequalified for chase cards, if you see CSP, slate, and freedom, and are close to a branch, then see if the branch offers you 70k on the CSP. No af the first year. If you can do the 8k spend in 90 days then do CSR 100k and CSP 70k. And if a few months get the mariott.  Don't upgrade the mariott to the premier since you'd lose the bonus.

your scores are good enough to get any chase card.  CSR 100k, CSP 50-70k, Ink 80k, Mariott 80k x2. Spaced out of course.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another question if you don't mind?

"You would ideally get new chase cards with big bonuses then move the limit from the non premier mariott and close. "

I've seen references to this in various threads. Are you saying I can combine my credit limits on multiple cards onto one card?

For instance if I have $8,000 on Chase Marriott Personal, $13,000 on Chase Amazon Personal - can I call Chase, ask them to close Amazon and have $21,000 on Marriott alone?

What if I opened a Marriott Premier Business and got a $15,000 limit? Can I combine the Marriott Personal into the Premier a month later to get a $23,000 limit?

Message 9 of 13
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another question if you don't mind?

"You would ideally get new chase cards with big bonuses then move the limit from the non premier mariott and close. "

I've seen references to this in various threads. Are you saying I can combine my credit limits on multiple cards onto one card?

For instance if I have $8,000 on Chase Marriott Personal, $13,000 on Chase Amazon Personal - can I call Chase, ask them to close Amazon and have $21,000 on Marriott alone?

What if I opened a Marriott Premier Business and got a $15,000 limit? Can I combine the Marriott Personal into the Premier a month later to get a $23,000 limit?

you can do it as soon as you like.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.