Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Gold

tag
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Marriott Gold

One of the main reasons I got the Ritz card was a) free nights b)Marriott Gold Status

I know I receive Marriott Gold status for the first year with the RC card and have it for the second year (spent $10,000) with the spend requirement.

I question if I need the Ritz card if I get the AMEX Platinum? With the AMEX Plat I know I get upgraded to Gold status with SPG which should in turn give me gold status with Marriott since the merger. Is this correct?

I usually stay in a Marriott and often fly Delta. I know I get Delta lounge access with the Plat.

I certainly do not need both high AF cards and am leaning toward the AMEX Plat if it allows me to keep my Marriott Gold status.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriott Gold

@Appleman wrote:

One of the main reasons I got the Ritz card was a) free nights b)Marriott Gold Status

I know I receive Marriott Gold status for the first year with the RC card and have it for the second year (spent $10,000) with the spend requirement.

I question if I need the Ritz card if I get the AMEX Platinum? With the AMEX Plat I know I get upgraded to Gold status with SPG which should in turn give me gold status with Marriott since the merger. Is this correct?

I usually stay in a Marriott and often fly Delta. I know I get Delta lounge access with the Plat.

I certainly do not need both high AF cards and am leaning toward the AMEX Plat if it allows me to keep my Marriott Gold status.

Thoughts?

You are correct. The Platinum is a great card. Great lounge access and you get Gold status for Hilton also. If you want a hotel card you can get the Marriott card and the annual free night covers the annual fee.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Amex Plat and I am completely satisfied with the card benefits. I also travel for work and fly Delta. I can't give you a comparison but I will say that I have not been let down with Amex Plat. I usually stay Hilton so I get to enjoy that benefit also and not just for 1 year regardless of the spend. That's my 2 cents...hope it helps!!

Message 3 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I am also thinking about dumping the Ritz as since the Plat upped their game in other ways and can get gold through SPG/Mariott by just having the SPG card and the platinum vs. having to spend 10k it is starting to lean or heavily lean the route of the Plainum as SPG gets you 3 pionts at marriott vs best case on Rtiz it is 2 points (food/travel).. Seems to be a no brainer other than the travel credit on the ritz offsets most of the 399 (grand fathered af).  With Platinum changes of 200 uber credit and other perks might just be worth relooking at for myself in the coming months before my 3rd year AF on the rtiz comes up.

Also anyone know if you have had personal platinum before if you still can obtain the 65k MR signup bonus?  I got the 100k prior and not sure if it is once in a lifetime with all the changes that have been happening with the card.  I would assume it is still once in a lifetime, but work asking.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Also anyone know if you have had personal platinum before if you still can obtain the 65k MR signup bonus?  I got the 100k prior and not sure if it is once in a lifetime with all the changes that have been happening with the card.  I would assume it is still once in a lifetime, but work asking.

That would be a no.  Still, once in a lifetime.

Message 5 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Keep in mind that Chase is the one with the relationship with the acquirer (Marriott). That may put them in a stronger position than Amex to keep Gold status for their customers.

Not that I have a crystal ball or anything. I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked if Amex Platinum loses that perk in a year or two.

Or they could devalue Gold and require Platinum for good perks.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

Keep in mind that Chase is the one with the relationship with the acquirer (Marriott). That may put them in a stronger position than Amex to keep Gold status for their customers.

Not that I have a crystal ball or anything. I'm just saying I wouldn't be shocked if Amex Platinum loses that perk in a year or two.

Or they could devalue Gold and require Platinum for good perks.

Its deffinetly something to keep in mind what you mention for sure..

With that said AMEX will fight until their death not to lose SPG or the Marriott.. My guess is both Chase and Amex will have their flavors of the Marriott card kinda like Citi and Barclay's, but anything is possible certainly. 

Message 7 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

That would be a no.  Still, once in a lifetime.

I have heard once in a lifetime isn't really once in a lifetime. Instead I am hearing people are able to get the signup again 7 years after they close the card. 7 years is still a lifetime in this game. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

Thoughts?

The plat AF is $550 which is much more than the ritz card. If you are staying with marriott on a regular basis you would likely want to have a ritz, spg or marriott card to pay for those hotel stays. The Delta Lounge access does make the plat more attractive if you will be able to use that benefit. The ritz card has a $300 credit that comes with it which helps cut down on the AF. Sadly I believe with plat offering marriott gold that the benefits are going to get cut for all marriott golds and therefore the value of it will decrease. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Appleman wrote:

Thoughts?

Some thoughts:

1. If already spending $5000 of that $10000 to get the free nights, I'd put the other $5000 there as well to get 2 years of gold from the Ritz card itself. This should cover you through the period of uncertainty (of what happens to AMEX's SPG ties or what happens to Chase's Marriott ties, personally I doubt they'll peacefully share the programs)

2.Even if Platinum gets to keep SPG and Marriott gold, it might not be a good thing for you personally. Marriott gold is one of the better(i.e. useful, such as club level lounge access) middle level hotel membership and also one of the few middle level hotel membership that one can't get by merely holding a credit card without spending. I believe these 2 things (can't get without spending & useful benefits) are not totally unrelated, thus if Platinum manages to keep both SPG&Marriott gold, then Marriott gold might start to loss benefits sooner than you'd have guessed.

3. Have you ever had the AMEX platinum before? Might want to hold out for the 100K sign up if you have not. If you sign up now using the inferior offer you'll almost never be able to get it in the future.

4. Delta is a different story though, as delta reseve itself is a $450 card (although one could argue that the companion ticket somewhat offsets that AF).

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.