Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott Silver Elite Benefits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marriott Silver Elite Benefits

I've got the Marriott Rewards card, but haven't used many of the benefits. I've got some business travel coming up in October, and I'm wondering what experiences everyone has with taking advantage of their Silver Elite (or higher) benefits. Any great perks you've discovered, upgrades, etc.? What are your experiences?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Marriott Silver Elite Benefits

silver isn't anything special. you'll get some extra points and maybe late check out if the front desk clerk is feeling pleasant.

gold status is the meat and potatoes of Marriott elite status. room upgrades, free breakfast, and all that jazz.

Plat status is gold status with more earning potential.
Message 2 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
silver isn't anything special. you'll get some extra points and maybe late check out if the front desk clerk is feeling pleasant.

gold status is the meat and potatoes of Marriott elite status. room upgrades, free breakfast, and all that jazz.

Plat status is gold status with more earning potential.

+1 Silver is a joke. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

it's not a joke. it's pretty much identical to any other hotels lowest elite level.
Message 4 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
it's not a joke. it's pretty much identical to any other hotels lowest elite level.

I don't think very much about other hotels lowest levels either. When the OP is asking about things like possible upgrades I think it needs to be put in perspective that low level status is nothing to get excited about. The bonus earning on stays is nice and if you can get late checkout as a silver sure, so maybe joke is too harsh a word but the bottom line is to not really expect a much different experience than if you have no status at all. 

;
Message 5 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I've gotten upgrades as a silver before, it's just really unlikely unless you're in a BFE hotel that doesn't get a lot of elites.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know. I didn't think it was much of a joke, it's not bad, just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or tricks.

Message 7 of 18
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good to know. I didn't think it was much of a joke, it's not bad, just wanted to know if anyone had any tips or tricks.

I don't think upgrades are a published benefit of silver level. As plat I would ask if any upgrades were available at check-in and it can be done as gold as well. If you are a confident person you can ask if any upgrades are available as silver and see what happens. Not really entitled to the upgrades at that level, but if they have an open room and your nice about it I guess there is no harm in asking. Check your online account for deal offers and they send out emails as well. You can check around for lower prices for same property and try to get a best rate guarantee rate. Requires a bit of work but can be a decent savings.  

;
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips. Not too worried about price, since I'm being reimbursed through work. Might as well get the extra points! Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

definitely. if you travel for work a lot, ask for a gold challenge on the 3rd day of a month and you'll have 4 months to get 6 stays. I suggest doing this in January. you'll get gold status for 2 years.

IE

request challenge on 3rd of January and you'll have until the end of an to get 6 stays.

can only be done one level up.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.