Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriott to keep Chase and Amex as card issuers

tag
Sanjo812
Contributor

Re: Marriott to keep Chase and Amex as card issuers

@Anonymous wrote:

Marriott decided to keep a co-brand card because Chenault will be gone by the spring. 

What does an additional co-branded card have to do with Chenault's retirement?

Eight Twelve Consulting
Message 21 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

My guess is they will be switching some customers between cards and doing some shuffling such a RC goes to Amex and Amex gives Chase whatever and who knows about business cards whether they stay at current lenders each?  

I was going to apply for the Ritz again as well as cancelled the card a month or so ago but wanted the bonus again.. hmmmm.. choicesSmiley Happy.  Card is over 2 years old so eligible again

I highly doubt that Chase/AmEx want to move card holders.  Card holders stay.  They may offer something similar level....

I would agree with this. I know if Chase transferred downgraded me to an AmEx card, I'd be livid.

Message 22 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Yeah, I agree.  In addition to any new cards introduced, the wording listed on numerous sites today really makes it seem like at some point after 2018, cards like the existing Marriott Rewards Premier ($85 AF) and Starwood Preferred Guest ($95 AF) would likely be product changed into the new "premium consumer card" from Chase and the Marriott and SPG business cards would likely be product changed into the new "small business card" from American Express.  It would make sense that the Ritz-Carlton card would be product changed into the "super premium" card from Amex, however the argument could be made that Marriott has owned R-C for a long time and never fully combined the brand into the chain, so that one card could possibly be considered to be another co-branding agreement that Chase keeps.

By "super premium," I hope they mean it.  Give me a card with instant Platinum Elite status (and even ask for $50k or so spend to maintain it), 1 or 2 free nights every year including up to Category 9, and at least 3 points per dollar spent and I'll pay up to $999 a year. 

And I really hope they don't. It's a bit selfish, but those of us who do the time to reach platinum aren't going to be thrilled when we have to start competing for upgrades with anyone who did nothing more than picked up a credit card. The second part I'm amenable to - make a spending threshold so those who are serious about buying their way in do so, like the Ritz does now with the $75k spend requirement. Giving it away for free for the first year though? No, no, a thousand times no.

2 nights at a Cat 9 is itself worth the $999.

Message 23 of 26
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

iced, all good points. Cat9s + 5th night free at Marriott is how I get my 7+ cpp on SPG. Smiley Wink Then again most of the places I go, almost everything is an 8 or 9. I don’t think you’re being selfish; actually earning Platinum status with stays is a LOT of loyalty that should be rewarded.

Honestly, I would switch to Ritz-Carlton today since I can meet the spend, but the earnings are so inferior to SPG I’d end up losing out on so many free nights with the 3:1 transfer.

Message 24 of 26
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I still think there a small possibility they might do it if only because AMEX is doing for the Hilton Aspire with automatic plat status already. But my best guess is Marriott will say no no to that to not piss off their long-time customer base.

Message 25 of 26
iced
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

I still think there a small possibility they might do it if only because AMEX is doing for the Hilton Aspire with automatic plat status already. But my best guess is Marriott will say no no to that to not piss off their long-time customer base.

It's also worth noting that Hilton status is already easier to get than Marriott. They have set a precedent by offering diamond via spend ($12,000), nights (60), and now credit card. They also toss gold out like candy off a parade float (I was just offered Hilton gold for 2018 if I book two stays at any Hilton property).

Marriott hasn't quite gone that far...yet. Platinum is 75 nights or a ton of spend on a card ($75k via Ritz or up to $180k via the regular Marriott card). They have done a decent job thus far of at least keeping the platinum tier somewhat more difficult to attain, but time will tell.

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.